Diamondback Covers

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger (SCrew Lariat Tremor)
Looking into the DB SE, but have heard that the four locking c-clamps for the center pillar/crossbar have issues grabbing/lack of grab/bending for the Rangers?? Anyone with one, could you comment your experiences? Not many YT vids with the Rangers and DB...but lots of Tacos though. Thanks in advance :like: ;)
Just installed mine a week or so ago.

I will say the position is not 'perfect' where the clamps need to go; there is a body panel contour on the top cap rail area because the plastic top cap has a snap down anchor at that general location.

As a result, you have to position the bottom portion of the clamp far enough towards the bed wall to avoid it that it's not on a flat surface really.

This said, when I tightened down the bolts to the clamp, it was plenty of force to grab on and fully compress the gasket material for the center section. I grabbed the center section and gave it some pretty hard yanks and it didn't budge. I was plenty confident in the clamps holding power at that point.

So, functionally, it's perfectly fine. The OCD in me wishes it clamped to a flat surface under the bed rail, but again, not feasible here since the top cap anchor pokes down through a hole and the panel is formed around it to create additional support.

I'll try to get a picture for you in a little bit... :)
Sponsored

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Looking into the DB SE, but have heard that the four locking c-clamps for the center pillar/crossbar have issues grabbing/lack of grab/bending for the Rangers?? Anyone with one, could you comment your experiences? Not many YT vids with the Rangers and DB...but lots of Tacos though. Thanks in advance :like: ;)
I had to re-tighten after the initial install as the clamps came a bit loose. But it's been on for most of the life of the truck, and no issues so far. nice and secure.

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here ya go. I figured a video might help you see what I mean better.

This is passenger side looking rear wards. Driver side is basically mirrored situation on other side.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
Just installed mine a week or so ago.

I will say the position is not 'perfect' where the clamps need to go; there is a body panel contour on the top cap rail area because the plastic top cap has a snap down anchor at that general location.

As a result, you have to position the bottom portion of the clamp far enough towards the bed wall to avoid it that it's not on a flat surface really.

This said, when I tightened down the bolts to the clamp, it was plenty of force to grab on and fully compress the gasket material for the center section. I grabbed the center section and gave it some pretty hard yanks and it didn't budge. I was plenty confident in the clamps holding power at that point.

So, functionally, it's perfectly fine. The OCD in me wishes it clamped to a flat surface under the bed rail, but again, not feasible here since the top cap anchor pokes down through a hole and the panel is formed around it to create additional support.

I'll try to get a picture for you in a little bit... :)
I had to re-tighten after the initial install as the clamps came a bit loose. But it's been on for most of the life of the truck, and no issues so far. nice and secure.
Appreciate the quick feedback. :like: :clap:
I do not have my Ranger...yet, but understand how the plastic clip for the cap could be a nuisance. I like the idea of the tri folds, but the materials seem too inferior for MY needs/taste. Again, thanks for the responses ;)

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate the quick feedback. :like: :clap:
I do not have my Ranger...yet, but understand how the plastic clip for the cap could be a nuisance. I like the idea of the tri folds, but the materials seem too inferior for MY needs/taste. Again, thanks for the responses ;)
I searched long and hard for a tri fold that would give me the security and water resistance levels I needed, but in the end I just couldn't find one, so I bit the bullet and went with the DB SE.

So far, thrilled with it's performance. Drove through a decent rain the other day, and only a tiny bit of water at the tailgate end, due to the side gaps there. I have a seal kit here waiting for warmer weather which will then seal that up entirely.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
Here ya go. I figured a video might help you see what I mean better.

This is passenger side looking rear wards. Driver side is basically mirrored situation on other side.
Thanks for going the extra mile :like: While I understand the OCD (I'd be the same), this specific scenario is not bad. I could live with this. Never saw the underside of the bed rails, and it definitely has a lot of room to "bite" with the DB designed clamps. Thanks again. I am planning to continue to move forward with this cover, once I get the vehicle. :sunglasses::clap::like:;)

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
I searched long and hard for a tri fold that would give me the security and water resistance levels I needed, but in the end I just couldn't find one, so I bit the bullet and went with the DB SE.

So far, thrilled with it's performance. Drove through a decent rain the other day, and only a tiny bit of water at the tailgate end, due to the side gaps there. I have a seal kit here waiting for warmer weather which will then seal that up entirely.
I hear you. I don't hv the truck yet, but getting my ducks in a row so when I do get it, I know which direction I want to go. Lots of Taco and F-150 vids on YT, but no Rangers with the DB. Thanks again. Glad I found this forum a few months ago. Lots of members willing to help. :like:

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear you. I don't hv the truck yet, but getting my ducks in a row so when I do get it, I know which direction I want to go. Lots of Taco and F-150 vids on YT, but no Rangers with the DB. Thanks again. Glad I found this forum a few months ago. Lots of members willing to help. :like:
I was the same way. Didn't want to place such a pricey order before I officially took delivery of the truck, in case Ford pushed my build or ship date back or something crazy. But knew there was a build and ship time delay for the cover since DB custom makes them when the orders arrive; so had to decide how to juggle that timing-wise so I'd have the cover as soon as possible once I knew I would definitely have the truck in hand.

No lie, I ended up placing the order online with my phone while finishing the delivery paperwork at the dealership. ?

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
Question for those that have em......How does the DB locking bolts lock? (ie. do the bolts use the bottom of the Ford bed rail to secure the top? Or do you have to install a bracket/rail of some kind to have the bolts go through? Thanks in advance ...again ;)

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plastic J channel gets adhered to the bottom edge of the bed rail. Locking bar slides under and is held under tension against it by the compression of the panel gasket. Tension is adjusted by setting the height of the drop down locking bar carriers while panel gasket is compressed.

I had to modify the supplied J channel slightly as it was too tall. Clipped off about top half and had to apply my own 3M vhb tape to adhere it.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
Plastic J channel gets adhered to the bottom edge of the bed rail. Locking bar slides under and is held under tension against it by the compression of the panel gasket. Tension is adjusted by setting the height of the drop down locking bar carriers while panel gasket is compressed.

I had to modify the supplied J channel slightly as it was too tall. Clipped off about top half and had to apply my own 3M vhb tape to adhere it.
Sounds good. Simple enough. Even more reason to add this to my list :like:

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds good. Simple enough. Even more reason to add this to my list :like:
Yeah one of my criteria for a cover was ‘show no trace of a cover if I wanted to use the full bed’.

With the panels and center section pulled, the bed is entirely open. No side rails or bulkhead space lost. ?

Edit - I will add, the trade off is that you have to plan out your hauling activities; panels all have to be removed ahead of time and stowed at home or whatnot. That's one place the tri folds, bakflips and roll ups have the edge on; but for how seldom I actually haul something large enough to require that, the trade off for me should never be an issue.

Last edited:

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Installed mine a couple of months ago and installed the headache rack yesterday along with some extra cleets. Love it so far.

test11.jpg
test12.jpg
test13.jpg
test14.jpg
test15.jpg
test16.jpg
Sponsored