First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Any tire that can't handle potholes, routinely gets holes from rocks and has to be replaced at 15,000 miles sucks. I don't care about how it does in snow, sand or mud. It can't handle dry pavement.
I got over 57,000 miles on the last pair of Hankook ATM's we had on our Tacoma... far superior to the 2 sets of BFG TKO's we ran previously.

2002 Tacoma Detailed May 2017 LF.jpg
Sponsored

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I got over 57,000 miles on the last pair of Hankook ATM's we had on our Tacoma... far superior to the 2 sets of BFG TKO's we ran previously.

2002 Tacoma Detailed May 2017 LF.jpg
Okay. Good for you. I got 15,000 miles out of the hankooks that came on my ranger.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Okay. Good for you. I got 15,000 miles out of the hankooks that came on my ranger.
So what happened? Did you rotate them every 4,000 miles? Correct inflation?

You mentioned pot holes in a previous post. No tire will hold up to severe abuse.

Last edited:

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
So what happened? Did you rotate them every 4,000 miles? Correct inflation?

You mentioned pot holes in a previous post. No tire will hold up to severe abuse.
Our roads are garbage here and I'm only on pavement about 70% of the time. My BFGs last about 50k with no plugs. The Hankooks are fuzzy from so many patches.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
Also, way to go taking what was a funny post, mostly said in jest and finding some stupid reason to get yourself worked up onto some asinine pedestal over your tire brand preference. :rolleyes:
1601137302427.png

It's not like I posted a picture of a tailpipe that looks crocked at an angle.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Also, way to go taking what was a funny post, mostly said in jest and finding some stupid reason to get yourself worked up onto some asinine pedestal over your tire brand preference. :rolleyes:
1601137302427.png

It's not like I posted a picture of a tailpipe that looks crocked at an angle.
Stupid Reason: A member expects you to back up your comments with actual data.

No snow in the Virgin Islands... but it appears there are snowflakes.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
better things to argue about (and no i don't want to argue about those things either, nice to have a conflict free zone somewhere online)

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
@PBRaptor , winter tires arrived today. Got them from Quattro Tires for under 1k and that's all in. Installation, balancing, delivery and taxes.

received-2719454271629082.jpg

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
@PBRaptor , winter tires arrived today. Got them from Quattro Tires for under 1k and that's all in. Installation, balancing, delivery and taxes.

received-2719454271629082.jpg
I've saved a lot of $ with Quatro. What are specs/brand?

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I've saved a lot of $ with Quatro. What are specs/brand?
Arctic Claw in 265/65/17. At first look it's an off brand, but the DOT number says it's made at the Toyo Tires plant in Malaysia. So they can't be that bad. Also, the rims are Ford rims! Didn't expect that.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
This will be my first winter with the Ranger. The last five years I had Toyo Observes Si5’s on my AWD Acura MDX. They were excellent and had barely any wear on them after the five seasons. I live in a rural area, and have a long steep driveway to get up and with the Toyo’s, I went up the driveway as though it was summer. I even pulled a couple trucks out of ditches, due to the great grip of the tires.

I am still deciding on what to put on my Ranger. 80% chance it will be the Toyo Observes Si6’s, but my dealer is tempting me to go to a studded tire.

I agree with what others have said about the value of winter ties and how they are vastly superior in the cold and on ice. I also agree that 4x4 only helps you get going and does nothing to help you stop and little to help you keep control in corners.

SPEEDBUILT

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Strength Coach
This will be my first winter with the Ranger. The last five years I had Toyo Observes Si5’s on my AWD Acura MDX. They were excellent and had barely any wear on them after the five seasons. I live in a rural area, and have a long steep driveway to get up and with the Toyo’s, I went up the driveway as though it was summer. I even pulled a couple trucks out of ditches, due to the great grip of the tires.

I am still deciding on what to put on my Ranger. 80% chance it will be the Toyo Observes Si6’s, but my dealer is tempting me to go to a studded tire.

I agree with what others have said about the value of winter ties and how they are vastly superior in the cold and on ice. I also agree that 4x4 only helps you get going and does nothing to help you stop and little to help you keep control in corners.
I’m a huge fan of Nokian winter tires and they beat the competition by quite a bit during tests. After that it’s the Blizzak and then everyone else. I really don’t think you need studs with the tread compounds of today and high amounts of siping.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
We reside in a lake snow zone and for many years have purchased another set of rims and put some snow tires on them for each auto we own. (yes, real snow tires made with softer rubber with the cuts in them etc, etc) I took our then new 2019 Ranger to our favorite tire shop here looking for snow tires for it, he looked at its original tires and said, "those look like they do fine in snow, I'd not recommend new snows for you". So we left the stock tires on and over the course of the winter, decided they are fine for that. The below photo is the street we reside on. YRMV!

snowgo2019.jpg

Deleted member 1634

We reside in a lake snow zone and for many years have purchased another set of rims and put some snow tires on them for each auto we own. (yes, real snow tires made with softer rubber with the cuts in them etc, etc) I took our then new 2019 Ranger to our favorite tire shop here looking for snow tires for it, he looked at its original tires and said, "those look like they do fine in snow, I'd not recommend new snows for you". So we left the stock tires on and over the course of the winter, decided they are fine for that. The below photo is the street we reside on. YRMV!

snowgo2019.jpg
Good to hear real world experience. I've always thought that the stock tires (Hankooks on my FX4) would be plenty fine for majority snowy conditions like da Yoop. Since the Hankooks are good in the snow, just not great at all other winter conditions.

I had some issues with them last winter here because we get such little snow (relatively), and instead a lot of cold and ice. It's usually too cold to snow, or for salt to work. haha A lot of the times it'll snow a few inches, then get packed down because there's so much traffic so the plows can't get it up in time, then it'll deep freeze for a couple weeks to the point where you're basically stuck with ice roads for most of the winter and the Hankooks don't like that.
Sponsored