Programming Garage door opener

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
In my old house I had the original garage door opener ~ 30 yrs old and it wouldn't work with the newer home link transmitters in newer autos.
Sponsored

Deleted member 15875

What kind of door opener and how old?

Also, were you able to get the button(s) in the truck programmed and can’t get it to be accepted by the opener, or can you not get the truck opener to accept the signal from your existing remote?

Maybe you could post of video of what’s happening….
Chamberlin....They aren't new, but work fine. I cannot get the Ranger to program.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Chamberlin....They aren't new, but work fine. I cannot get the Ranger to program.
I would try starting over and erasing the buttons. When I followed the manual’s directions exactly, I had no issues. In my old house the door opener was from 2003 and worked fine.

Here’s the process to erase all the buttons:

Erasing the Function Button Codes Note: You cannot erase individual buttons.

1. Press and hold the outer two function buttons simultaneously for approximately 10 seconds until the indicator light above the buttons flashes rapidly.

2. When the indicator light flashes, release the buttons. You erased the codes for all buttons.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15875

I would try starting over and erasing the buttons. When I followed the manual’s directions exactly, I had no issues. In my old house the door opener was from 2003 and worked fine.

Here’s the process to erase all the buttons:

Erasing the Function Button Codes Note: You cannot erase individual buttons.

1. Press and hold the outer two function buttons simultaneously for approximately 10 seconds until the indicator light above the buttons flashes rapidly.

2. When the indicator light flashes, release the buttons. You erased the codes for all buttons.
Yep, I've tried every method imaginable. Seems so simply, right? But I've still had no luck

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Yep, I've tried every method imaginable. Seems so simply, right? But I've still had no luck
Are you using using an original Chamberlain remote to program the truck?

Deleted member 15875

Are you using using an original Chamberlain remote to program the truck?
Yep, and I've also tried using the main unit button in the garage and going back and forth. It looks so simple on YT vids. I've reset, you name it.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Yep, and I've also tried using the main unit button in the garage and going back and forth. It looks so simple on YT vids. I've reset, you name it.
I guess it’s possible you have a bad homelink module. May be time for the dreaded dealer visit.

Last edited:

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Honest question; what can the dealer do?
I would expect that they have to have a way to test the device to see if it works and replace under warranty If it’s bad.

Another stupid question, but have to ask…. Do you have the vehicle on (but not running) like the directions say? Also, the only other thing I can suggest is to disconnect the battery and let everything reset if you haven’t tried that.

Deleted member 15875

I would expect that they have to have a way to test the device to see if it works and replace under warranty If it’s bad.

Another stupid question, but have to ask…. Do you have the vehicle on (but not running) like the directions say? Also, the only other thing I can suggest is to disconnect the battery and let everything reset if you haven’t tried that.
I've tried vehicle on, not running, running, and completely off. :crying:
The lights flash on the visor so I don't think it's a Ford issue to be honest.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Have you contacted Chamberlain support ? I did when mine wouldn't work - and they confirmed I was sol because the newer openers aren't backwards compatible with the older RF , but they may have had a similar case as yours with Ford vehicles.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
My 2019 Ranger Homelink works with 1986 Sears door opener.

Deleted member 15875

Have you contacted Chamberlain support ? I did when mine wouldn't work - and they confirmed I was sol because the newer openers aren't backwards compatible with the older RF , but they may have had a similar case as yours with Ford vehicles.
I just ordered another remote door opener from their site. Hopefully it's easy to program now. I'm sure they will tell me the same then. Thx
Sponsored