OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Ranger, 98' Jeep Xj, 90' F150
If you have to take it apart before you reinstall it put toothpicks in the hole's with a little wood glue & break them off & when you reassemble you have a new hole. :like:
Great idea, I'll have to remember that for any that aren't pulling tight on install.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone here with the tools, the skills, and the desire is paying attention to this build and getting inspired. Heck, even a whole bunch of folks without all that are paying attention to this build. ?

I can’t wait to see how those hatch covers turn out.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Everyone here with the tools, the skills, and the desire is paying attention to this build and getting inspired. Heck, even a whole bunch of folks without all that are paying attention to this build. ?
Yep! I won't build anything like this but sure enjoying the design and build:thumbsup:

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Final Weight?
I always worry that by the time I put a camper shell on and some drawers in, that I won't have enough capacity left to put anything in the back.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Hmm... I was kinda expecting hidden latches so it didn't interfere with whatever awsome woodburning artwork you had planned for the drawer fronts... J/K.... It looks solid as a tank.
And how fancy are you getting with the drawer lights ? Full length auto on/off ? I would put some lights on the bottom of the drawers so they light the ground also when extended...

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Final Weight?
I always worry that by the time I put a camper shell on and some drawers in, that I won't have enough capacity left to put anything in the back.
Hi Greg,

Speaking of campers...Margie and I were heading up to the Tucson Airport to pick up our daughter from Michigan.. There was a huge camper on a low end old Chevy pickup.. We had a windy day with a 20mph cross wind on I 19....This truck/camper was having a horrible time with the wind. Truck was down to about 40mph and looked like it was about to flip over. Traffic had to pause, get in the left lane and floor it to get around the truck. Traffic was backing up a bit too... Oversized Camper and woefully inadequate pick up truck....

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I can’t wait to see how those hatch covers turn out.
Final Weight?
Weight is definitely a concern, I bought five sheets of .75" Plywood. One sheet was Birch for the drawers which is around 50 pounds worse case. The rest I assume about 40 pounds a sheet. I'm gonna use about 85% of it by the end so I'm guessing somewhere between 150-200 pounds for the whole thing. If we assume 10 pounds of paint and hardware and about 30-40 pounds for the rubber I'm gonna cover it and line the drawers with it all adds up to be pretty heavy. Plus the topper has gotta be at least 200 pounds maybe more. No noticeable settling of the suspension yet but once they're loaded up there could be. As long as it sits decently I'll be happy, only thing I ever haul in the bed is cans of diesel and wood pellets. Between the topper and now the lost headroom to the platform you'd be hard pressed to fit enough stuff in to overload the bed now. I use a trailer for 90% of what I haul.

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm... I was kinda expecting hidden latches so it didn't interfere with whatever awsome woodburning artwork you had planned for the drawer fronts... J/K.... It looks solid as a tank.
And how fancy are you getting with the drawer lights ? Full length auto on/off ? I would put some lights on the bottom of the drawers so they light the ground also when extended...
Nothing too fancy, I don't love the giant chrome T-handles but they make it so you unlock it and slide it out in one smooth motion rather than having a latch and a secondary pull handle. Lights are tempting and I really like the idea of the ones underneath the drawers. I don't think I need any in the drawers as the leds I installed on the hatch of the cap light up the drawers nicely.

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Greg,

Speaking of campers...Margie and I were heading up to the Tucson Airport to pick up our daughter from Michigan.. There was a huge camper on a low end old Chevy pickup.. We had a windy day with a 20mph cross wind on I 19....This truck/camper was having a horrible time with the wind. Truck was down to about 40mph and looked like it was about to flip over. Traffic had to pause, get in the left lane and floor it to get around the truck. Traffic was backing up a bit too... Oversized Camper and woefully inadequate pick up truck....

Best,
Phil
I've seen so many 1/2 ton trucks with those giant old campers in the bed, never good when your headlights are signaling aircraft and your hitch receiver is acting as a wheelie bar on the big bumps.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Greg,

Best,
Phil
This made me think of your earlier post.

A high centre of gravity with all that weight above the gunwales and a negative/reverse tumblehome - I’m surprised it didn’t capsize. ⛵ ?. ?

? ?

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Google says the opposite of tumblehome is "flare"... No song there, just odd...

You were talking about covering it with rubber , would a bed mat work for that ? You would have lids in the cubby holes .

Last edited: