DIY Bed Drawer Build

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Ranger, 98' Jeep Xj, 90' F150
I've been picking away at building a rather redneck set of drawers for my truck. Didn't like how tall the Decked system is nor that it wastes all the space in front of the wheel wells on the 6 foot box. This is what I've come up with so far. All held together with pocket screws as it needs to be taken apart and reassembled in the bed since it doesn't fit in any other way. Just going to use thin plastic for sliders to save some money after buying the rather expensive plywood. Will update as I get more done.

20220312_210303.jpg

20220318_204057.jpg
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Be pretty sweet if the "side pocket " parts could stay in there full time somehow , then put in the rest as needed... I may steal some of your design sir ! Thievery is one of the highest forms of flattery...

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
Looks like you have some talent, just wondering how you will protect against moisture especially on the bottom section any water in the bed will just lay underneath

Last edited:

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I've been picking away at building a rather redneck set of drawers for my truck. Didn't like how tall the Decked system is nor that it wastes all the space in front of the wheel wells on the 6 foot box. This is what I've come up with so far. All held together with pocket screws as it needs to be taken apart and reassembled in the bed since it doesn't fit in any other way. Just going to use thin plastic for sliders to save some money after buying the rather expensive plywood. Will update as I get more done.

20220312_210303.jpg

20220318_204057.jpg
I just zoomed in on some of that , you are a VERY good carpenter sir ! Mine aint gona look like that , ill have to "hide" stuff ... Nice job though ...

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Be pretty sweet if the "side pocket " parts could stay in there full time somehow , then put in the rest as needed... I may steal some of your design sir ! Thievery is one of the highest forms of flattery...
I actually considered something like that with the removable center as I'm worried even smaller boxes like Bbq's or that kind of thing may not fit anymore once there's another 8" of height gone from the bed. Ultimately didn't want to have to drill any holes in the bed and the sides would need to be attached for that to work. This design jambs in so tight Ill just use the factory anchor bolt holes at the back to stop it from bouncing and ill be good.

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like you some talent, just wondering how you will protect against moisture especially on the bottom section any water in the bed will just lay underneath
Other than a leaky window which should be fixed under warranty when I have time to take it in the cap is really dry. I am going to be priming and then painting the whole thing with plain old Oil Based black rust paint which should alleviate any more moisture concerns.

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does rattle can bedliner spray stick to wood ? I wonder ? That would blend in nicely if so...
This was originally my plan but the stuff is so expensive I decided to glue some heavy rubber mat on top and just paint the rest black, the only exposed wood will be the drawer fronts anyways. I may still call around and get quotes on having the whole thing professionally sprayed with regular bedliner if I can find a place somewhat local that does Linex or something.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I will have to REALLY like what I come up with before I go drilling... So , most likely , I wont be drilling...

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just zoomed in on some of that , you are a VERY good carpenter sir ! Mine aint gona look like that , ill have to "hide" stuff ... Nice job though ...
Trust me when I say you cant get much further from a good carpenter than with me, take your time and you can get results far better than mine I'm sure. If I take some closer up pictures you'll see some hidden stuff on my work too lol.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I got some rattle cans of it somewhere , I might waste a can on some differant woods (plywood , 2x , see if it sticks to treated) and haul it around it the back just to test it...

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will have to REALLY like what I come up with before I go drilling... So , most likely , I wont be drilling...
I plan on removing all four factory tie points to have room for this now that the sides are made, I'm gonna make some pieces of flat bar for the back ones with the same hole pattern and then weld a piece from them out to the drawer box with another piece of flat bar bolted to the box to hold the back down. If you did something similar front and rear you could likely get the sides attached rigidly enough to work with no drilling.

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
Other than a leaky window which should be fixed under warranty when I have time to take it in the cap is really dry. I am going to be priming and then painting the whole thing with plain old Oil Based black rust paint which should alleviate any more moisture concerns.
Perhaps a good coat of thinned epoxy resin on the bottom and ends, especially is marine ply was not used.
Sponsored