Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
thank you, that was exactly what I needed..i have the same tonneau also
the mod works well without affecting the latch, just a little more effort....and I can latch/unlatch without swinging out the box....uh-huh-huh!...I said swing!

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
5C4E015D-1016-4CC4-9FEA-CD8435D4FB35.jpeg

I used the Wolfhaus plug and a cheap USB port ordered from the big river site, works great!
That's a nice idea, but personally, I wouldn't bother installing anything less than 3.0A USB ports these days. I had 2.1A ports in my camper that I had to replace, because my LG phone wouldn't charge right on them (it'd flicker all night, and make the little chirp it does when it wakes up).

After doing a river float with some friends yesterday, I really could have used a power point in the bed for an inflator, so I'm planning to get the Wolfhaus kit. If I need USB ports, I've got a 3.0A cigarette lighter/USB adapter I can throw on.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
That's a nice idea, but personally, I wouldn't bother installing anything less than 3.0A USB ports these days. I had 2.1A ports in my camper that I had to replace, because my LG phone wouldn't charge right on them (it'd flicker all night, and make the little chirp it does when it wakes up).

After doing a river float with some friends yesterday, I really could have used a power point in the bed for an inflator, so I'm planning to get the Wolfhaus kit. If I need USB ports, I've got a 3.0A cigarette lighter/USB adapter I can throw on.

I went with the powerbox method. I can use the Wolfhaus 12volt connection so I can save the battery power in the powerbox.

It has ALL the USB connections, (QC3.0 USB and USB-C + PD) 12 volt socket, Anderson powerpole connectors, a heavy duty M6 binding post, (that accepts 1/4" ring terminals, banana plugs or bare wire) and an LED light with 15 different strobe functions for emergencies.

IMG_20200628_182930.jpg

IMG_20200628_183014.jpg

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I went with the powerbox method. I can use the Wolfhaus 12volt connection so I can save the battery power in the powerbox.

It has ALL the USB connections, (QC3.0 USB and USB-C + PD) 12 volt socket, Anderson powerpole connectors, a heavy duty M6 binding post, (that accepts 1/4" ring terminals, banana plugs or bare wire) and an LED light with 15 different strobe functions for emergencies.

IMG_20200628_182930.jpg

IMG_20200628_183014.jpg
That thing is really cool. I've never seen anything quite like that before. Do you have a post somewhere describing the build? Does it have a battery inside?

If not, I might consider trying to do something similar in a thinner case that I could slide behind the backseat for storage.

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I run something similar — I have a Jackery 500 that I use when flying my drones. Works perfect for a days flying recharging batteries.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That thing is really cool. I've never seen anything quite like that before. Do you have a post somewhere describing the build? Does it have a battery inside?

If not, I might consider trying to do something similar in a thinner case that I could slide behind the backseat for storage.
Yes, there's 2 batteries inside running parallel. The Powerbox is designed to run off of Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. But they are VERY very expensive. ( one is nearly $700) So I did some modifications so it can use lead acid batteries. All I did was remove the large power adapter and placed the smaller Anderson powerpoles. All I want to do is charge up my phone and use the light for emergencies.

Head to this site. ----> https://powerwerx.com/ You'll be like a kid in a toy store!! :p

Here's a direct link to the powerbox.
https://powerwerx.com/megabox-portable-power-box-bioenno-batteries

If you want to build your own, There's a few on Amazon I recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DJUXES/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That one above has a lid to hide the panel mount USB ports. And it has a tray inside.

This one below is smaller. It comes in many colors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BWTMC6J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Yes, there's 2 batteries inside running parallel. The Powerbox is designed to run off of Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. But they are VERY very expensive. ( one is nearly $700) So I did some modifications so it can use lead acid batteries. All I did was remove the large power adapter and placed the smaller Anderson powerpoles. All I want to do is charge up my phone and use the light for emergencies.

Head to this site. ----> https://powerwerx.com/ You'll be like a kid in a toy store!! :p

Here's a direct link to the powerbox.
https://powerwerx.com/megabox-portable-power-box-bioenno-batteries

If you want to build your own, There's a few on Amazon I recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DJUXES/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That one above has a lid to hide the panel mount USB ports. And it has a tray inside.

This one below is smaller. It comes in many colors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BWTMC6J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Oh, cool, it's a pre-made thing. It looked total DIY. Yeah, this sort of thing is a little bit more advanced on the electronic side than I'm comfortable with. I'd definitely prefer if the whole thing could fit right behind the back seat of the SuperCrew. I may just keep my eyes peeled for a jump starter that has 12v and USB ports. There's enough of those on the market and I know a lot of them are really thin. I wonder if any of the ones with compressors would fit behind the seat.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, cool, it's a pre-made thing. It looked total DIY. Yeah, this sort of thing is a little bit more advanced on the electronic side than I'm comfortable with. I'd definitely prefer if the whole thing could fit right behind the back seat of the SuperCrew. I may just keep my eyes peeled for a jump starter that has 12v and USB ports. There's enough of those on the market and I know a lot of them are really thin. I wonder if any of the ones with compressors would fit behind the seat.
There is plenty of DIY videos on Youtube. Problem is, some of those are very complex. And some don't even list the parts they used.

I don't have the time to build one. I found the one at Powerwerx and decided to buy it since it has everything I need. I could even run a small 110volt inverter from the 12 volt socket. That's why I have 2 batteries running parallel.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I run something similar — I have a Jackery 500 that I use when flying my drones. Works perfect for a days flying recharging batteries.

Those are cool. I had something similar from Black and Decker years ago. The bad thing is.........once the batteries no longer holds the charge, the whole thing is useless.

Not sure if the Jackery 500 is the same way.

Last edited:

Dangerpete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Army Safety
Could be it, I plan to hook a multimeter to it to see when it is hot and to check the polarity. As it is two wires I think one is hot, the other is either ground or wswitching using the frame for ground

wickedZ1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Can anyone confirm what connector you need to make connection at the open point under driver side rear? I see a few people went diy on the entire setup pretty much.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone confirm what connector you need to make connection at the open point under driver side rear? I see a few people went diy on the entire setup pretty much.
Here are the parts if you want to get the factory option,

12 volt plug.jpg

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
It's a ford OEM connector that I can only order in bulk from a single parts supplier. I do however sell just a pigtail that is the connector pre-crimped to a length of wire for DIY solutions. PM for info.

Caliope

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC 4WD Lariat, 2022 Bronco Sport OB
Those are cool. I had something similar from Black and Decker years ago. The bad thing is.........once the batteries no longer holds the charge, the whole thing is useless.

Not sure if the Jackery 500 is the same way.

I still have my B&D Storm Station. When the battery won't hold a charge anymore, I get a replacement from my local Interstate Battery location. It is the same battery used by emergency lighting fixtures. I would think that you can probably do the same thing with just about any thing that has a battery. Although some times it is cheaper and/or more practical to buy a new item.
Sponsored