First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician
Anyone else have this problem? All 4 of my door handles aren't a consistent black color, been this way since day one but my OCD is starting to get to me so I've asked my service advisor to look into this. I know what some of you are going to say...
No, I didn't wax them.! Nor have I used any other chemicals on them.
20201013_103711.jpg
20201013_103711.jpg
20201013_105237.jpg
Sponsored

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
mine look like that as well. I chalk it up to being parked outside all the time sun beats on it.

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Anyone else have this problem? All 4 of my door handles aren't a consistent black color, been this way since day one but my OCD is starting to get to me so I've asked my service advisor to look into this. I know what some of you are going to say...
20201013_103711.jpg
20201013_103711.jpg
20201013_105237.jpg
my brothers xlt had this happen too. We applied a ceramic coating for trim to them and it restored the color and held up through the last winter. It should be reapplied after 6-8 months I would say.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Normal. The oils in your hands will cause the wear; it's actually pretty crazy what skin oils do to materials. Same thing on my truck and wife's CR-V. A product like Blak or something ceramic coating can help slow this process. I apply twice a year.

I'm very particular about cleanliness but this doesn't bother me like my wife thinks it should. Probably bc the dog hair in the carpet, even with mats and seat cover, is my fixation lol

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
Same here, noticed at first wash, they dry into a Grey patchy color

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Same here, noticed at first wash, they dry into a Grey patchy color
Yes me too , noticed right away, after the 1st wash. Nothing I did and seems I'm not alone...
Thanks,
Marc

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Normal. The oils in your hands will cause the wear; it's actually pretty crazy what skin oils do to materials. Same thing on my truck and wife's CR-V. A product like Blak or something ceramic coating can help slow this process. I apply twice a year.

I'm very particular about cleanliness but this doesn't bother me like my wife thinks it should. Probably bc the dog hair in the carpet, even with mats and seat cover, is my fixation lol
Wasn't from my oily hands was there from day one. Truck is only a few months old. Crappy choice of materials from Ford because this doesn't seem normal to me. Thanks for the reply...

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Wasn't from my oily hands was there from day one. Truck is only a few months old. Crappy choice of materials from Ford because this doesn't seem normal to me. Thanks for the reply...
So no one touched it during inspection, shipment, dealer check in/prep, test drive, or delivery? Not a single person? You Lucky dawg...?

Maybe my family and circle of friends are just greasy peeps? ? Ever seen what skin oils do to a laptop keyboard? Or the edges of your cellphone case? Or you home door edges? Or your hairbrush handles?

or it could be my tailgate damper is leaking...

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So no one touched it during inspection, shipment, dealer check in/prep, test drive, or delivery? Not a single person? You Lucky dawg...?

Maybe my family and circle of friends are just greasy peeps? ? Ever seen what skin oils do to a laptop keyboard? Or the edges of your cellphone case? Or you home door edges? Or your hairbrush handles?

I didn't say no one touched it I said it wasn't from me. I don't use a brush but I do have a tailgate damper. We might be onto something here...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Ashley,

It is likely a failure to change the door handle lubricant reserve container. :) It is located behind the door handle damper...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I've used Adams VRT to restore the color. I've previously used it on door seals so they don't freeze shut in the winter. Used it a few weeks ago on the mirrors, door handles, bumper cover and bed cover. We'll see how long it lasts.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
20201013_103711.jpg
20201013_103711.jpg
20201013_105237.jpg
So, you did not wax them or apply chemicals to them. But did you touch them with your hands?

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
303 Aerospace Protectant is probably the best thing to use on any plastics like that. I love the stuff. Acts like a sunscreen for plastics and helps restore the original color. I use it on dashboards, door handles, bed rails, trim, literally anything plastic.
Sponsored