Discolored door handles

801Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4-Race Red
I think maybe some people are missing my point here. My truck is only 5 months old and has just over 1100 miles on it. This shouldn't be happening and shouldn't look like this. I have a 2002 Ranger Edge and the door handles still look black, I've also checked quite a few of the fleet vehicles we have at work (all Fords) as well as many vehicles in parking lots and regardless of age others don't look like mine does. Even if I had the greasiest fingers ever it shouldn't look this way after 5 months of ownership. WTF is it going to look like in a year? Or 5 years.? Why should I have to purchase chemicals to fix an issue that just shouldn't be there to begin with?

I do however appreciate all your replies and suggestions because ultimately that might be all I'm left with.

Thanks,
Marc
Just got mine this month and the I noticed the slightly inconsistent coloring on the black door handles too. My XLT was the dealer demo and had 1000 miles on it so it's been "handled". They must have gone cheaper with the plastic material this time around which is unfortunate because I do like the look of having black accent door handles. Looks like some Back to Black type of product will be needed or I'll just need to wear gloves year round when opening the doors ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician
Just got mine this month and the I noticed the slightly inconsistent coloring on the black door handles too. My XLT was the dealer demo and had 1000 miles on it so it's been "handled". They must have gone cheaper with the plastic material this time around which is unfortunate because I do like the look of having black accent door handles. Looks like some Back to Black type of product will be needed or I'll just need to wear gloves year round when opening the doors ?
Odd that some Rangers seem to suffer from this while others don't. Don't tell the greasy finger conspiracy theorist but I'm just not buying that being the cause of this discoloration issue and I have a solid reason why. My rear door handles look worse than either of my fronts do. I'm the only driver of this vehicle and most of the time I'm also the only one in the truck and I also rarely ever open the back doors yet the rear handles look far worse than the fronts.
Thanks for your input,
Marc

801Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4-Race Red
Odd that some Rangers seem to suffer from this while others don't. Don't tell the greasy finger conspiracy theorist but I'm just not buying that being the cause of this discoloration issue and I have a solid reason why. My rear door handles look worse than either of my fronts do. I'm the only driver of this vehicle and most of the time I'm also the only one in the truck and I also rarely ever open the back doors yet the rear handles look far worse than the fronts.
Thanks for your input,
Marc
I understand the greasy finger thought but that’s usually after quite a bit of time and touchage. I’m going to try some of the Back to Black stuff and see if that helps. Maybe certain climates help or make it worse. Weird.

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician
I understand the greasy finger thought but that’s usually after quite a bit of time and touchage. I’m going to try some of the Back to Black stuff and see if that helps. Maybe certain climates help or make it worse. Weird.
Yes, there's some other failure here beyond greasy fingers. A brand new truck shouldn't have door handles that look like this, as stated before, I have a 2002 Ranger Edge in the driveway and the handles are still a solid black color. My greasy fingers have touched those door handles for 18 years and I have never applied any chemicals to them. I'm not a chemist but common sense tells me something is wrong here...

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Wash and clean good.
Wipe hood with denatured alcohol.
Look ok?
Then Ceramic coat.

Last edited:

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I just got a custom order off the truck 4 miles before test drive 2021 xlt ranger and noticed the door handles look faded. Was wondering if it was just me or that is the way they are. From reading the three pages still not sure

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Yep that's one of the reasons why I wanted an XLT, the Wildtracks, all have black door handles and black trim, with the sun and climate over here all end up looking like that eventually, no matter how much care you take. The chrome on plastic of the XLT seems to stand up better for longer.

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
Wait till your steering wheel turns shiny then you will be in for a surprise. Because of covid I wear rubber gloves and a mask to my truck in my truck and out. Stays clean.
Just kidding, I think my handles look like yours and it has 600 miles on it.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
So no one touched it during inspection, shipment, dealer check in/prep, test drive, or delivery?

or it could be my tailgate damper is leaking...
Something is leaking.....
Sponsored