Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase

BogeyMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Just ordered the SE cover for my super crew... my side by side ATV wouldn’t fit on top anyway so no need for the HD.

Desert Rider

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang 1976 Bronco 1999 Super Duty
If anyone is looking to sell the Diamondback HD in the 5' bed size, give me a shout.

WVmanowar

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not a truck
I really like the Diamondback cover, but not sure how I'll like without quick access to the bed. The side access is limited due to the height of the bed sides.

The warranty, customer service, durability, tie-downs, security, and strength are all great selling points.

With the folding cover you have an option to keep open or covered. With the hard cover, you lose that. I've seen it open, but not sure you drive down the highway without the wind catching the open hatch. Any current owners drive with the hatch flipped back on itself?

I had an ARE topper on my SportTrac and never took it off once it was put on. Didn't have anywhere to put it if I did remove it. The Diamondback can be removed, but only when you're at home....unless you can fit the three parts in the bed with whatever you bought at the store (cargo).

I contacted Diamondback to ask for photos of the cover with a low profile cab guard for the Ranger, but they don't have any. I wanted to see how much of the view would be blocked looking out the rear window. I think the cover itself sits 2 inches high off the bed, plus the 8 inch high guard. That's not very tall, but it'd help to see. I think it might also block the 2 tie downs in the front (of the HD). I guess I could measure 10 inches of the bed check it that way.

Also, since there's no lighting options with the Diamondback, I'd have to rig something up that I can stow when the cover is off or put a flashlight back there for night time. It'd be cool if there was a rope light under the mid-section brace. Have any of you added a light there?

Hubcap91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I really like the Diamondback cover, but not sure how I'll like without quick access to the bed. The side access is limited due to the height of the bed sides.

The warranty, customer service, durability, tie-downs, security, and strength are all great selling points.

With the folding cover you have an option to keep open or covered. With the hard cover, you lose that. I've seen it open, but not sure you drive down the highway without the wind catching the open hatch. Any current owners drive with the hatch flipped back on itself?

I had an ARE topper on my SportTrac and never took it off once it was put on. Didn't have anywhere to put it if I did remove it. The Diamondback can be removed, but only when you're at home....unless you can fit the three parts in the bed with whatever you bought at the store (cargo).

I contacted Diamondback to ask for photos of the cover with a low profile cab guard for the Ranger, but they don't have any. I wanted to see how much of the view would be blocked looking out the rear window. I think the cover itself sits 2 inches high off the bed, plus the 8 inch high guard. That's not very tall, but it'd help to see. I think it might also block the 2 tie downs in the front (of the HD). I guess I could measure 10 inches of the bed check it that way.

Also, since there's no lighting options with the Diamondback, I'd have to rig something up that I can stow when the cover is off or put a flashlight back there for night time. It'd be cool if there was a rope light under the mid-section brace. Have any of you added a light there?
The beauty of the Diamondback (especially the HD) is the ability to haul cargo on top of it. I've made a couple trips to Sam's now for groceries and large items as well. Put the groceries in the bed and strapped the large items on top. I also found some rechargeable motion-sensing led lights on amazon that I stuck to the underside of the panels. So far so good.

Desert Rider

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Contacted Diamondback to verify: a smooth-surface version of the cover will offered later this summer/fall. It will only be offered in black. LLOD will get one to test out.

OP
OP
Randy2400h

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Contacted Diamondback to verify: a smooth-surface version of the cover will offered later this summer/fall. It will only be offered in black. LLOD will get one to test out.
Is it going to be smooth and still available with the LineX coating? The grip on top of the cover wouldn’t be as good as it is with the diamond-plate pattern and LineX (that’s what I have and it’s amazing), but it would still have quite a bit of functionality. You won’t regret buying Diamondback cover.

Desert Rider

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it going to be smooth and still available with the LineX coating? The grip on top of the cover wouldn’t be as good as it is with the diamond-plate pattern and LineX (that’s what I have and it’s amazing), but it would still have quite a bit of functionality. You won’t regret buying Diamondback cover.
Yes, smooth-surface will still have LineX coating

WVmanowar

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not a truck
Since we can't purchase during these times, thought I'd ask a question of those that already own an HD.

If you open the tailgate side, disconnect and fold back toward the cab, how many inches is it from the top edge by the cab to the folded lid?

I was thinking about adding a 'roll bar' with lights onto the front/cab portion if the rear panel can fold back flat without getting in the way... not the overly large roll bars or the ones that extend down the bed. It may work if the bar w. lights is light weight...not used for roll overs, but could help (w/board) protect the back window (cab guard) without obstructing the view all the time.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Since we can't purchase during these times, thought I'd ask a question of those that already own an HD.

If you open the tailgate side, disconnect and fold back toward the cab, how many inches is it from the top edge by the cab to the folded lid?

I was thinking about adding a 'roll bar' with lights onto the front/cab portion if the rear panel can fold back flat without getting in the way... not the overly large roll bars or the ones that extend down the bed. It may work if the bar w. lights is light weight...not used for roll overs, but could help (w/board) protect the back window (cab guard) without obstructing the view all the time.
Like this? Looks like about 5.5 inches... Also, I have the 5ft bed, supercrew.

20200508_141140.jpg

20200508_141210.jpg

20200508_141201.jpg

Last edited:

WVmanowar

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not a truck
Thanks for the picture! It looks like, if I bolted the base to the top of the cover at the front of the cover, that there's an inch or may more if it the bracket is angled to bolt into the flat surface and the down slope, but not sure I can find a bracket at the correct angle or be able to bolt the second support on the down slope of the side of the cover. It's hard to explain without a picture, but the Ford Performance chase rack is light enough to apply without being too heavy since that front portion could still open. https://yourtruckhub.com/products/f...MI4Mv1__Sk6QIVAobICh3D8QDdEAQYBSABEgL0JvD_BwE

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the picture! It looks like, if I bolted the base to the top of the cover at the front of the cover, that there's an inch or may more if it the bracket is angled to bolt into the flat surface and the down slope, but not sure I can find a bracket at the correct angle or be able to bolt the second support on the down slope of the side of the cover. It's hard to explain without a picture, but the Ford Performance chase rack is light enough to apply without being too heavy since that front portion could still open. https://yourtruckhub.com/products/f...MI4Mv1__Sk6QIVAobICh3D8QDdEAQYBSABEgL0JvD_BwE
I think either something that bolts to the existing front or front side tie down holes is the best option. Might have to get something fabricated specifically for that.

Does Diamonbacks own brand of chase/protector not fit? I know they have them but I don't know how they fit exactly.

WVmanowar

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not a truck
I think either something that bolts to the existing front or front side tie down holes is the best option. Might have to get something fabricated specifically for that.

Does Diamonbacks own brand of chase/protector not fit? I know they have them but I don't know how they fit exactly.
They have cab guard/headache racks that prevent load from busting the rear window. It looks like they'd obstruct the rear view when driving. I'm probably just being too picky, but wouldn't pay $1500 for the Ford rack on top of a $2000 cover...., but looking for options.

Desert Rider

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As of today, You can now order the smooth surface version In black, on Diamondback’s website.

Desert Rider

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the bed clearance (Height) when closed? I have an HD on order, and I want to order the tallest cooler possible?
Sponsored