First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
Budget decked. Requires a bit more “manual work” to get to things but I’m poor from other mods. Plus, throw a memory queen size memory foam mattress on top and fits my camping needs which is what I needed it for. Cost 60$ of wood and an hour of time. Hahaha. Posted it here so all you fancy decked users can laugh ?

E9A091BF-867E-4BAA-9EC7-AA04756CC8DA.jpeg
we'll laugh at a lot:
  • How wet your stuff gets
  • How you're gonna grad anything at the front of the bed when it's full
  • How must stuff gets stolen
  • How well it'll hold a 1,000lb+ ATV on top

probably $250 in lumber at current price :)
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
we'll laugh at a lot:
  • How wet your stuff gets
  • How you're gonna grad anything at the front of the bed when it's full
  • How must stuff gets stolen
  • How well it'll hold a 1,000lb+ ATV on top

probably $250 in lumber at current price :)
Oh, it wasn't in an aggressive jest, it was for you guys to laugh at my janky setup :) I think you got confused at the purpose of my post. I actually just use it to camp on as stated and I have a camper shell for it. But, sorry entered the wrong thread with a joke on my own funny setup.

Ray_kayak_guy

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4
Oops, sorry for the delay! Its now installed, but boy was it a project!

It is totally doable, but I have a number of lessons learned that I would love to advise anyone else on who takes on the project as well:
  • The Smartcap is held in not by clamps but by brackets for the ranger, this means you will install it first, then the decked second, which may seem counter-intuitive
  • The Smartcap is a bit intensive to fit together --- tight fittings, and bolts that have almost new extra threads on the front/back make it a pain
  • The Smartcap should err on the side of gasket to the very edge on the cabside bends, this made it very difficult to fit the brackets down, but if you know in advance, it will be fine
  • The Decked Brackets conflict with the Smartcap brackets. This was a judgement call, but I ended up having to hacksaw down the front edges of the decked brackets, and then mount them directly to the RSI brackets on the cabside -- i can post pics later.
  • Lastly, the modifications to the DECKED top deck is pretty modest, and the easiest of the modifications (hacksawing through plastic was much easier than through metal, and/or drilling into the RSI brackets.
  • The Wiring Harness is still WIP - I think this is complicated by RSI being overseas and perhaps building this for the NZ/AUS spec of the global ranger. Ultimately RSI and Offroad-Alliance have been responsive and are getting it sorted for me, but it took some doing.
This was enough of a project, with enough lessons learned that I hope to post something a little more visual for those that follow in my path, but I'm glad with how it turned out. :D
Hi Andy, Any photos of your install - I'm installing mine this weekend. SmartCap assembled and working through front Decked mounting bracket and RSI mounting bracket...

Dalton Bourne

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Occupation
engineer
I am annoyed by the RV’s cabinets and drawers swinging open every time they hit a bump on the road. Knowing how to keep RV drawers closed is essential for a peaceful journey. You can tie child safety locks onto the handles of your cabinet or drawer or you should place magnetic latches on the sides, top, or bottom edges of the cabinet or drawer. Another way store your items in baskets, boxes, or bins, this method can even help you maximize your space. Avoid overloading the RV’s cabinets and drawers. This way, when the drawer does open, only a few items will get pushed out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

kaylawiz

First Name
kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Occupation
teacher
Yea that looks great! Love it!
I went with the ARE MX series. It has a little extra headroom for sleeping in the back and I am happy with it. I got the carpet on the inside which helps with moisture build up fo rat cold nights. I also got a sportsman windoor on the passenger side so I can fully open it and get into the back of the bed, game changer!!!

XL_Ranger_Danger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger, (Previously 1976 Series III 109)
Occupation
Project Manager
@kaylawiz was a huge inspiration for this combo :)
Finally found a used ARE MX topper, still need to wire up the 3rd brake light, but this is a huge insulation upgrade from the Soft-Topper I was using for the last year.
71.jpg

Did some minor livability mods:

1. Side window insulation (Reflectix panels) via velcro tape
73.jpg

74.jpg

2. mounted my old Nite-Ize Gearliner by using some cheapie picture frame hooks against the bottom of the rail screws. I hogged out the hole with a drill and "tapped" it to match the end of the threads on the bolts protruding inside the topper.
3. I added some cheap RGB battery powered lights for the interior with velcro mounted remote to enable turning on the lights without having to crawl all the way back in. Since they are cheap I might add more to the rear.
72.jpg

4. Lastly I found some universal T track bolts on Amazon that enabled me to recreate my original We-Boost Cell Antenna set up (albeit shorter).
75.jpg

76.jpg

Dalton Bourne

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Occupation
engineer
Keeping RV drawers closed is essential for a peaceful journey. If you have enough time, you can use these solutions to keep drawers closed when moving permanently: Child safety locks, magnetic latches, storage containers, etc.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc