Topper light wiring

DrummerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘95 Taco
Has anyone experienced a problem with getting a “Trailer Attached” message after installing a topper? There seems to be a lot of confusion in the “Towing” section about how the truck determines a trailer is attached. Before I install a topper I want to be sure that wiring in the cab high stop/running light doesn’t cause the truck to determine a trailer is attached.
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
ARE in Tucson knows how to do it. But I dont get a trailer attached light even when I have a trailer attached. Dont need a light telling me that I have a have a trailer attached. Lol

OP
OP

DrummerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘95 Taco
ARE in Tucson knows how to do it. But I dont get a trailer attached light even when I have a trailer attached. Dont need a light telling me that I have a have a trailer attached. Lol
Thanks for the quick reply @THLONE I’m kinda new to towing. I keep looking in the mirror to make sure the pop up camper is still there. I was more concerned about the impact of the message light on oil change intervals and shift point. I think I recall reading that the transmission shifts different when towing. Glad to hear that hasn’t been an issue for you.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
It may depend on what you have. I dont have the lane view control thingy that tells you if someone is approaching. I see you are in PHX and have a Taco? It is nice to see what you are towing is doing back there. My little mountain boat completely disappears when going straight and is tough to back up. I may have to invent something to make it visible. A swt to turn on the back up camera would be good.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Has anyone experienced a problem with getting a “Trailer Attached” message after installing a topper? There seems to be a lot of confusion in the “Towing” section about how the truck determines a trailer is attached. Before I install a topper I want to be sure that wiring in the cab high stop/running light doesn’t cause the truck to determine a trailer is attached.
This is exactly hat I'm trying to determine. I'm in the market for a shell but I'm holding off until I'm confident it will be wired correctly for the vehicle. First, do no harm. There are a lot of shells installed here. How are they wired in and what have been the problems?

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I'm very interested in this as well... I have a soft topper and would like to figure out a way to set up a third brake light for it, and possibly tap into the factory bed light for some interior lighting without messing up anything else

OP
OP

DrummerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘95 Taco
This is exactly hat I'm trying to determine. I'm in the market for a shell but I'm holding off until I'm confident it will be wired correctly for the vehicle. First, do no harm. There are a lot of shells installed here. How are they wired in and what have been the problems?
I had the ARE camper installed by a dealer. I’m not sure how they wired it but I’m not getting a “trailer attached” message.

OP
OP

DrummerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘95 Taco
I'm very interested in this as well... I have a soft topper and would like to figure out a way to set up a third brake light for it, and possibly tap into the factory bed light for some interior lighting without messing up anything else
I had the ARE camper installed by a dealer. I’m not sure how they wired it but I’m not getting a “trailer attached” message.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I ordered a Snugtop and it will arrive early February. I specifically went over the hookup with the dealer before I ordered it. They have seen the ARE vehicle specific wiring description and told me that Snugtop provides their own. My Ford service department said they would hook it up if i needed. I'll be happy when it's hooked up and everything works.
Sponsored