Daytime running lights

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
I've noticed when the headlight switch is in ANY position except the "auto" position the daytime running lights are off. When the switch is in the "auto" position then the daytime running lights are on.

Is this normal operation? It seems as though those lights should be on all the time the vehicle is running regardless of the headlight switch position.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
yes, that's how they work

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
For those of us that don't want them, you can also go into the menu settings and turn them on/off. My wife's Mercury doesn't give you the option for that. Her's are always on.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that is how they work. I want the running lights on at all times for safety reasons and so just leave it on auto.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oh, and as to the "why", it's because too many idiots drive around at night with just DRLs because of lousy user interface design. this way, you can't drive around at night with only with the back of your car dark.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
oh, and as to the "why", it's because too many idiots drive around at night with just DRLs because of lousy user interface design. this way, you can't drive around at night with only with the back of your car dark.
Indeed, I've seen my share of people driving in the dark with just the DRL's on leaving the rear of the car in total darkness. They are usually rentals, so the driver is unfamiliar with the lighting controls
Should not there be a photocell somewhere on the vehicle to override this hazardous condition?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Indeed, I've seen my share of people driving in the dark with just the DRL's on leaving the rear of the car in total darkness. They are usually rentals, so the driver is unfamiliar with the lighting controls
Should not there be a photocell somewhere on the vehicle to override this hazardous condition?
There is, the way Ford implemented it. :) You'd have to do something different in a jurisdiction where they're required by law, but tying them to auto gives the driver control while letting the laziest option also be safest. This really wasn't as big an issue until they started making dashboards light up all the time. In my old car it was really obvious when the lights were off because you couldn't see the dash. With new ones it's really hard to tell if you're in a place with street lights.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
No kidding this is irritating.

I also get annoyed when people roll around with their fog lights on every time their headlights are on., even in perfectly clear conditions.

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase

I also get annoyed when people roll around with their fog lights on every time their headlights are on., even in perfectly clear conditions.
I put yellow LED bulbs in mine because I am one of those that drive with my fog lights on but they are not too bright.

OP
OP

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Fog lights have a flat toped beam. As important as the bulb wattage is being correctly aimed. Check by driving up to a flat surface such as your garage door and adjusting accordingly.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
There are so many people out here in the LA area that run with DRLs on only at night, no rear lights, etc, OR they run with their high beams on all the time. I really wish that more companies would use the photo sensor that nearly all recent vehicles have standard to dim/kill the dashboard at night if the lights aren't on and only the DRLs are active, since that seems to be the only way people actually realize their lights are off. We need something because it really is dangerous.

El Renno

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed when the headlight switch is in ANY position except the "auto" position the daytime running lights are off. When the switch is in the "auto" position then the daytime running lights are on.

Is this normal operation? It seems as though those lights should be on all the time the vehicle is running regardless of the headlight switch position.
On my Lariat, The DRL’s are on, but at a dimmer setting, when the parking lights or headlights are on (middle two dial positions). On auto, they are on at full brightness.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect

Really? You don't have your fogs on at all unless it's foggy? Weird. I purposely put new bright LEDs in my fogs because mine are ALWAYS on whenever my headlights are on, no matter the conditions. I just think most cars look much better and have better visibility when the fogs are on. I won't buy a car that doesn't have fog lights because I think they look incomplete to have just headlights on without any fog lights on.
Sponsored