Dashcam install

Discussion in 'DIY Writeups' started by svache, Aug 5, 2019.

1. svache

svache Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
    Garage Profiles:
    Also, you may experience more reflection from inside the cabine if that location causes the camera to be further away from the window.

Before you actually stick the tape up though, make sure to first just use the cigarette lighter power supply (or dry run the power from the fuse box) while having the camera run and watching the live view on the mobile app :)

Sabasigh likes this.
  2. kneeler

kneeler Member

First Name:
    Neil
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger lariet
  3. svache

svache Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    The one I used was the Micro 2 fuse :)

4. Mark Lally

Mark Lally Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    Custom Home Builder
    Thanks for sharing. I had a dashcam in my old Ranger, I'll be adding one to my new Ranger soon as someone crosses into my lane at least twice a week around here, it's just a matter of time before I won't be able to react fast enough to avoid them.

5. idesi1

idesi1 Member

First Name:
    Shad
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Ignot Silver with 501A + Sport package
    where do i connect the Yellow (BATT+) cable for constant power. I have the Power Magic Pro battery pack for black vue

6. svache

svache Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    I'm not 100% sure, my Cellink batteries only use the ACC and a ground connection. The one that's hooked up to our Blackvue is spliced from two to three cables, avoiding the BATT to be hooked up to a continuous power source.

I just checked the Power Magic Pro manual, and it says the following:
    I believe the Ranger does have a "batter saver function", seeing as it shuts off interior stuff like the radio and such after a while, so judging by their manual, you should look for the fuse for the hazard lights. That said, looking into the manual for the Ranger, I am not 100% sure which fuse that would be.

What I personally would do in this situation, is leave my Ranger unlocked with a door open, see when the radio functions shut off (to make sure the battery saver kicks in), and then use a voltmeter (those with two pins, not the single meter) and check every fuse and see whether there's power.

If you do it the way they describe in the manual, by wrapping the wire around the blade of the fuse (I don't recommend wrapping it), you should make sure it's a fuse of at least 10 amps (check those with a red, blue, yellow, clear, or green color), and that you wrap it on the blade that sits on negative side of the fuse, so the battery is protected by the fuse. Also, if you wrap it, make sure the fuse isn't used for some critical system, since you increase the risk of blowing a fuse. Instead of wrapping it, a fuse tap would be better to use (there's an Amazon link in one of my earlier posts where I got mine). Using a fuse tap you can hitch a ride on a lower rated fuse and there's less risk of blowing the original fuse, as long as you make sure the original fuse is in the bottom of the tap and the fuse tap is orientated in the correct way (see my post above), and you put a 10A or higher fuse in the top part of the fuse tap since that's the one your batter will be using.

I hope this helps a bit :)

idesi1 likes this.
  7. Stevie Gee

Stevie Gee Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
    Retired Fed
    Garage Profiles:
    I did the Viofo 129A Duo...hardwired:

6EC9E5E6-2F71-4514-8878-52B2BEFB8ADE.jpeg

Tracy Bowman and svache like this.
  8. svache

svache Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    Nice! I like how you can view live on the camera what it's recording instead of having to use a phone.

9. Stevie Gee

Stevie Gee Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
    Retired Fed
    Garage Profiles:
    Thanks...Yes, me too, that’s why I picked this one. You can turn the screen off, plus view live or clips on my phone thru their app.

10. Hounddog409

Hounddog409 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tod
    Vehicle(s):
    F150
    Garage Profiles:
    Ok, why do you need a battery pack if you are coming of fuse box?

11. Ranger #6

Ranger #6 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
    Aircraft Stress Engineer
    Garage Profiles:
    To extend the parking mode.

Hounddog409 likes this.
  12. svache

svache Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    @Hounddog409 - like @Ranger #6 says, it indeed extends the parking mode. Another reason is not to drain the battery of the car itself.

In my previous car, a '16 Explorer, I actually drained the battery at some point by using the parking mode without the extra battery pack. I had the camera set to automatically shut off when the power source would drop below a certain value (I think it was 11.8 or 11.9 volt), so it wouldn't completely drain it. However, after several months my battery was unfortunately completely drained after all and Sync started to give me all kinds of weird issues (which I didn't know at the time had to do with the additional power drain when the car wasn't running). I ended up having to jump start the car (and even replacing the battery at one point, but I think that was unrelated), and at that moment I realized it the dashcam may have been the cause of the extra drain and maybe the issues with Sync as well. I ended up ordered another battery pack (our other car was already using one), I installed it, and everything started working like normal. Sync behaved normal again and the car battery remained fully charged :)

It's definitely possible to use it without battery pack. But knowing the issues I had with Sync after a while, I think it would be best to not use any parking mode if you don't have a battery pack. Cars nowadays with all their computers and electronics (gawd I feel old writing it like that haha) are apparently very sensitive to the amount of power available apparently. The reason our other car (a BMW) already used one was because of similar reports from other users that owned a BMW, as that car apparently is also sensitive to the amount of power available.

Ranger #6 likes this.