svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Mods: I'm unsure whether I'm posting this in the correct section, or if it should've been posted in the interior or exterior mods section. Please move if you feel it's better suited elsewhere.

I've seen dashcams come up a few times in discussions, especially those where there was damage to a truck either through vandalism, theft, or accidents. I mentioned in one of those I'd upload some photos of my install, but I figured I'd give it its own thread instead.

In my Ranger I have a Thinkware F770 dual cam, in my other car I have a Blackvue 750s dual. They're both in the same price range. They are both in the upper price class, but I think it's recommended to do this due to the higher video quality at both bright and dark settings, and also to be able to see details like car registration plates. They have similar specs but there's certain aspects I like better in the Thinkware. For example, I live in Hawaii and both cars are usually always out in the sun, heat can be an issue with cameras and since they both record when parked (I have set them to record motion), it is essential they both continue to record. The Thinkware has done this without any problem at all, the Blackvue has stopped recording two or three times in the few years that I owned both of them due to heat, but did always start recording after the temperature in the car was brought down by a few degrees. Anyways, if you're in a hot area with lots of sun, it's definitely key to keep in mind that there are a lot of cameras out there, but plenty will stop recording when it gets too hot. Another thing I don't like about the Blackvue, although it's minor, is that the volume of the camera is a lot more quiet (and more robotic) than the Thinkware. I dislike this for the simple fact that when the camera turns to driving mode from parking mode, it tells you if there was any impact, motion etc. It's good to know what has happened around the car when I was away. Another minor annoyance with the Blackvue is that it switches to driving mode from parking when it detects the vehicle to be in motion, whereas the Thinkware simply switches between the two settings based on whether the ignition is on (that is, if you picked the right fuse to tap).

Both my camera systems getting their power from an external battery pack. They last for about 24-48 hours, depending on the settings and whether you have one or two cameras. I have set both my cars to motion, so they don't record the entire time, with cameras back and front this makes my batteries last for a little more than a day (also depending on the amount of motion, of course). The battery I'm using with the Thinkware in the Ranger is an older Cellink battery, the one I'm using in my other car is a Cellink Neo, which is a newer battery pack with better specs. What I especially like about the latter is that you can connect to it with your phone through bluetooth and see how much juice it has left, if it is charging or discharging, how long charging takes etc. Charging with both of them only takes a few hours of having the ignition/engine on, if you drive on and off throughout the day, you'd easily reach that.

Both my systems were purchased through Blackboxmycar.com. Although I highly recommend them based on past experiences, there's plenty more spaces where you can purchase dash cams of course :)

The way I have them installed, in both cars, is as follows:

I use a fuse tap (I use this one in both my cars: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) on a fuse that is only on when the ignition is turned on. You can test this by using a volt meter. Also make sure the positive and negative are correctly wired or you'd bypass the tap (you'd draw power without going through the fuse), making the fuse pointless (and possibly a fire hazard since the battery packs can draw 7 amps (there's a setting to do only 5, but 7 charges a lot faster). In my Ranger I'm using fuse #36, which according to the manual is designated to the auto-dimming interior mirror and Mirror adjustment control. I figured if something goes wrong, that's one of the things I'd worry least about if it no longer works lol.

fKx34nx.jpg

From this tap, I ran the power cable down behind the panel, then along the doorsill, around the B pillar, and under the carpet through a hole under the rear seat where the battery pack sits. I used some Velcro tape to make sure the battery pack doesn't move around when going through corners and whatnot.

CYH2HJ5.jpg

From there, another power cable goes back the same route, but instead of going to the fuse box it goes along the A pillar up to the ceiling. It's extremely easy to do this, you can just push it underneath the panels, but be careful when running this cable as there are little explosives for the airbag curtains all around the A pillars and ceiling panel. Also make sure to do it in such a way that you're not blocking any of the airbags. Usually the cables that come with these dashcams are long enough (mine are, I think, 10 feet, so I had plenty left over). Since the airbag explosives are attached to the A pillar panel (it was in my Ranger, but it wasn't the case in my previous car, a '16 Explorer, where I did a similar install) so it's best to not remove that panel if you're not certain of what you're doing (there's no need really, like said, you can push it underneath along the edge).

You then come at the front dash cam like in the following picture:

NmTvfXm.jpg

I used a few sticky cable whatchamacallits to keep the cables aligned next to the Lariat's camera housing (I was unable to get the cable underneath to make a nice look but this works and is barely noticeable when inside or outside the car). If you have a model without those camera's, I think you can fit the dashcam a bit higher, probably behind the mirror, giving it a cleaner look.

nMlLY7m.jpg

And from the dashcam I ran a video cable for the rear camera to the rear of the vehicle. I did this on the passenger side along the roof panels. The reason I went along the other side of the car is because there's a chance that if you run the power and video cable along the same side, that the recorded video may get some static interference. The excess cable (and there was plenty of it) I simply rolled up together and hid it behind the rear seats using a cable tie.

I placed the camera opposite from to where the rear window opens, on the window on the driver's side. This way the rear window can be opened and closed without interfering with the camera. I have had passengers in my rear seat several times, both kids and adults, and the camera seems back far enough for them not to hit it while in the rear seat. (btw, I'm amazed about how clear the view in the photos is to the back, considering I have very dark tint in the back lol)

q4kegyd.jpg

Here's another photo of the front view, and as you can see, the camera is visible but barely noticeable. Especially not if you're just passing by the car. I turned off all LED lights (you can either turn them on or off, or have it blink or something) so it doesn't attract extra attention.

3JmKlqQ.jpg

Finally a few pictures (I'll leave the comments) of the install in my other car. The battery pack with this car was placed in the truck (more space) the install itself was pretty much the same, the fuse box was located in the trunk as well, in the area most cars have their spare tire.

jedz8GH.jpg

Pax4Uvz.jpg

KSscnYe.jpg
ygGMKpD.jpg

Edit: Please note, some cameras like the Thinkware require a special cable for use with the battery packs, like these ones: https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/battery-packs/products/hardwire-splicing
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Magnetic Gray / 2020 Explorer Limited RWD Magnetic Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Good info. Thanks for posting. I want to do something similar and you have given me some good ideas.

OP
OP
svache

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good info. Thanks for posting. I want to do something similar and you have given me some good ideas.
Glad I was able to give some ideas :D

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Looks like a solid install ,thanks for sharing! I have been considering adding a dashcam to my Ranger. Any chance you could post a video clip from this setup?

OP
OP
svache

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a solid install ,thanks for sharing! I have been considering adding a dashcam to my Ranger. Any chance you could post a video clip from this setup?
I could do that, but what would you like to see though? I think all visible parts are shown in the photos :)

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could do that, but what would you like to see though? I think all visible parts are shown in the photos :)
I mean like a sample video taken from the camera. Just like on a normal drive or whatever.

OP
OP
svache

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I mean like a sample video taken from the camera. Just like on a normal drive or whatever.
Ah right, gotcha!

I'll upload something a bit later today :)

OP
OP
svache

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Lunchbox88 - I finally got around putting a video together :)

I made the video picture-in-picture, this is not how they normally are saved though, I just edited it together (which is easy enough as the camera records and saves the video files for front and back in 1 minute sections). When watching them on a phone or computer they will show either front or rear camera (depending on what you select). There's also a dashcam viewer for both phone and computers, the computer version allows you to see where you've driven as well as the files contain GPS data (I'll post a picture of the viewer with map below to give you an idea).

The first part of the video is just regular driving, after a minute I switch the front and rear cameras. Then there's a bit of night driving, again switching between front and back after a minute. Then a minute or so of driving in the rain to give you an idea how that looks, and finally two parts (these are only 20 seconds each) with the camera in parking mode (motion sensing).

Also, there's audio in the first bit of the video, but there was talking between me and others in the rest of the video so I took the audio out of that since I don't know if they would consent to me uploading the conversation lol, just so you know why the rest is silent :)

Here's that picture of the PC viewer:

93CZF2j.png

Hope this helps :like:

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Lunchbox88 - I finally got around putting a video together :)

I made the video picture-in-picture, this is not how they normally are saved though, I just edited it together (which is easy enough as the camera records and saves the video files for front and back in 1 minute sections). When watching them on a phone or computer they will show either front or rear camera (depending on what you select). There's also a dashcam viewer for both phone and computers, the computer version allows you to see where you've driven as well as the files contain GPS data (I'll post a picture of the viewer with map below to give you an idea).

The first part of the video is just regular driving, after a minute I switch the front and rear cameras. Then there's a bit of night driving, again switching between front and back after a minute. Then a minute or so of driving in the rain to give you an idea how that looks, and finally two parts (these are only 20 seconds each) with the camera in parking mode (motion sensing).

Also, there's audio in the first bit of the video, but there was talking between me and others in the rest of the video so I took the audio out of that since I don't know if they would consent to me uploading the conversation lol, just so you know why the rest is silent :)

Here's that picture of the PC viewer:

93CZF2j.png

Hope this helps :like:
Couldn't have asked for a better follow-up! Really helps showing different situations (day/night/rainy/sunny) and how the camera picks everything up. Seems like that camera set does a really solid job at pretty much everything. The only one that's difficult to see much is the rear camera at night. I'm not that experienced in dash-cams but I would imagine its due to a combination of tinted window, and lack of light pointing backwards (headlights). There are just so many options for dash cams its hard to decide. Originally I was just going to do something like this (https://www.amazon.com/VIOFO-A119-1600P-Camera-Logger/dp/B07SRQH4R7) But now Im not so sure.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Couldn't have asked for a better follow-up! Really helps showing different situations (day/night/rainy/sunny) and how the camera picks everything up. Seems like that camera set does a really solid job at pretty much everything. The only one that's difficult to see much is the rear camera at night. I'm not that experienced in dash-cams but I would imagine its due to a combination of tinted window, and lack of light pointing backwards (headlights). There are just so many options for dash cams its hard to decide. Originally I was just going to do something like this (https://www.amazon.com/VIOFO-A119-1600P-Camera-Logger/dp/B07SRQH4R7) But now Im not so sure.
If youā€™re going Thinkware get the latest 2k version the Q800 Pro.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
All these posts have gotten me thinking about doing a dash cam. The Thinkware 770 looks like a good option, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore, superseded by the F800 or Q800. Wondering if there might be closeouts or something to get a good deal on the F700? Anyone know?

OP
OP
svache

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Lunchbox88 - No problem, glad I was able to help :) And you're right, rear is not that great in dark, I think it is indeed because of the tint and the dark space from the bed, it was better visible in my old Explorer, the Blackvue in my other car is also more clear at night on the rear (no dark tinting allowed on normal cars here).

@RedlandRanger - You may find a second hand on Amazon or Ebay, but for the price people are asking I think you may as well look into the F800 Pro instead (I wouldn't get the regular F800 due to it being partly silver colored, I'm kinda afraid it would make it too obvious there's a camera installed). I think the F800 Pro comes the closest to the F770, with the biggest difference being the cloud capacities (then again, I have that in my other car on the Blackvue and I don't use it at all, it's pointless without wifi access point) I haven't looked into the Q800 yet, so I can't really say anything about that :)

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
My Blackvue 900S came in and I'm getting ready to install. The front cam mount has a pretty small footprint so i was thinking of installing it on the flat spot on the plastic radar housing behind the mirror. The flat spot on the passenger side is biggest. Most of the camera would be hidden behind the rearview mirror and less conspicuous along with being out of my field of vision. I will probably need to use a better 3M foam tape to stick it securely. Has anyone tried this?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
My Blackvue 900S came in and I'm getting ready to install. The front cam mount has a pretty small footprint so i was thinking of installing it on the flat spot on the plastic radar housing behind the mirror. The flat spot on the passenger side is biggest. Most of the camera would be hidden behind the rearview mirror and less conspicuous along with being out of my field of vision. I will probably need to use a better 3M foam tape to stick it securely. Has anyone tried this?
The bottom of the camera housing is vented to keep the camera cool, I wouldnā€™t put anything in the way to avoid overheating.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
The bottom of the camera housing is vented to keep the camera cool, I wouldnā€™t put anything in the way to avoid overheating.
Will check that out to be sure nothing is blocked.
Sponsored