Dashcam Install

South Florida Ranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Dashcam really helped out today. Caught the wreck on camera today on the way home. Pulled around and provided the footage to the officer and the drivers for their insurance company's. Driver in a Toyota Acura SUV cut off the van pulling the trailer. While trying to avoid a collision locked up the tires but that heavy trailer pushed them right into the F250 sitting in the turn lane. Toyota drove off :curse: Everyone was okay.

edit: Shoot just saw the show and tell forum. Mods feel free to move if appropriate.
Truck was at fault definitely.
Sponsored

Josh Hager

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thinkware F800 Pro installed yesterday. Battery backup is in the glove compartment, ran power to the camera up the passenger side A-Pillar, tucked in the head liner, down and around the lane departure camera housing to the front camera. Ran the rear camera's cabling up from the front camera, tucked in the headliner, down the passenger side A-Pillar, tucked under the passenger side floor door moulding, up the rear of the cab, tucked in the back of the headliner and down to the rear camera. Overall the install was pretty easy, but I just wish I could hide the front cables more... There's no easy way to tuck the wiring behind the lane departure camera housing unfortunately.

Front Camera:
PJcRET8.jpg

Rear Camera:
Ji5dqk5.jpg

Fuse 37 - in cabin fuse box:
iD5xgsV.jpg

Grounding point used:
nTbeiYp.jpg

Power to battery backup ran under the AC blower:
oGIZuv3.jpg

Backup Battery in the glove compartment:
eN3wIwO.jpg
Hey dude!
I have the exact same setup as you. Same cam and battery pack. I used the same tap in the #37 fuse. My camera will not go into parking mode and stays in continuous record mode. I am not sure what I have done! Is there certain settings within the camera that need to be applied? I have it set to parking mode, but most of the settings I am not sure of what they do. Sorry for the dumb questions, I am lost. Install was easy though.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hey dude!
I have the exact same setup as you. Same cam and battery pack. I used the same tap in the #37 fuse. My camera will not go into parking mode and stays in continuous record mode. I am not sure what I have done! Is there certain settings within the camera that need to be applied? I have it set to parking mode, but most of the settings I am not sure of what they do. Sorry for the dumb questions, I am lost. Install was easy though.
Hey Josh,
So step 1 would be to make sure that you have actually used fuse 37 and not one adjacent to it. If possible, check the output of the fuse holder to make sure the voltage is going to zero when the truck is off. After checking that, make sure that parking mode is enabled in the app and you've saved the changes. If that still doesn't solve it, I believe I had an issue where the 12v switched and 12v constant out from the backup battery were reversed and it caused the camera to never to to parking mode. You may want to check those as a last step.

Good luck and let me know if you are still having issues!

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I did this for now, I’ll move it later. My rear cam cable goes down the passenger side, under the glove box, and then down the center console to the back. The husky floor mats hide the cable

E9B3ED0D-06B0-4D90-98CA-A48261A69397.jpeg

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’m not sure the camera is getting the best video it can.

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Ive read through this a couple of times....the battery pack is more expensive than the camera from what I see. If following the fuse numbers in this thread, will the camera work in parking mode without the neo external or is that needed? Maybe the external battery is just needed so you can run longer?

Shadyant

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A w/Sport Package. Black on Black & 2018 Explorer Sport, Tech pkg, twin panel roof. Black on Black
Occupation
Ops Manager, Tech
I just wanted to add my pick for a dash cam... it's OwlCam (https://owlcam.com)
I liked that OwlCam has AT&T WIFI built in, stores to cloud vs an onboard memory card, has BOTH interior and exterior cameras, can be remotely viewed Live at any time, save clips to your phone, get real time alerts to bump or potential damage events, has interior LED lights built in to illuminate the inside when triggered, etc...
It's powered through your vehicles OBD port... it comes with the special cable, mounting items and a tool to help hide the wire you have to fish around the dash to your OBD port. If you need OBD port still (like if you have a tuner you want to stay plugged into the OBD, you can buy an optional dual OBD adapter to have use of the OBD while OwlCam is using one port.
A great plus to the power through OBD is that it knows when the vehicle is on/running, it also has a smart feature that once you turn the vehicle off it enters a guard mode after a few minutes and comes "alive" when it senses a bump or loud sound... this helps save battery life... in guard mode it will only be in guard for up to 72 hours without the vehicle being started so it cannot drain the battery fully.
Also a perk is that if stolen, Owl will replace it FREE if you provide the police report and footage of it being stolen.

I don't have a pic to share right now as my truck is at Ford for an unknown length of time due to this issue...
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ranger-vehicles-rear-lamps-issue.5182/page-14

I've had this cam installed for a year now and have been extremely pleased... it's not the cheapest but considering all the pros, it was well worth it to me.
Video quality is super clear (when viewing live over WIFI it can be impacted by cell signal but downloading via direct WIFI download from OwlCam to your phone, it's a super crisp 1080p)

Last edited:

Damnedifiknow

First Name
Stacer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Hello everyone, ?
I should be getting my ranger today and be installing the Street Guardian front and rear cam I removed from my Escape at some point next week. My question is, has anyone considered running the cable from the rear camera to the front under the headliner? I don't mean tucking it under the edge around the outside, I'm thinking literally a straight line from back to front.
Is there a network of wiring under there that may create issues with snagging and such? I know there would be some wiring for the light though I'm not sure what else may be up there?

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone, ?
I should be getting my ranger today and be installing the Street Guardian front and rear cam I removed from my Escape at some point next week. My question is, has anyone considered running the cable from the rear camera to the front under the headliner? I don't mean tucking it under the edge around the outside, I'm thinking literally a straight line from back to front.
Is there a network of wiring under there that may create issues with snagging and such? I know there would be some wiring for the light though I'm not sure what else may be up there?
Nope, the Headliner Edge is the easiest route. Door moldings slip right off and the headliner edge is right there to tuck the wire into. Took maybe 10 minutes to run it to the back.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Ive read through this a couple of times....the battery pack is more expensive than the camera from what I see. If following the fuse numbers in this thread, will the camera work in parking mode without the neo external or is that needed? Maybe the external battery is just needed so you can run longer?
You can run it without the battery pack, but you'll need to install a regulator that senses battery level and shuts the cam down when battery power gets below a certain level so you don't drain it too far. If you frequently drive that vehicle, no problem, if it sits for long periods, not so good.

Damnedifiknow

First Name
Stacer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Nope, the Headliner Edge is the easiest route. Door moldings slip right off and the headliner edge is right there to tuck the wire into. Took maybe 10 minutes to run it to the back.
Thank you for the quick reply, I will do it this way then. ?

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I should readjust where my camera is, now that I’m home for a long period of time.

Station18Ranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DLG9GFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just installed this beauty in my new Ranger. Very cheap and affordable. No issues with suction coming lose from window. Larger screen with 1080 definition, audio capture, and 270 degrees of video. I was able to cleanly route the power cord under the molding to the cigarette lighter so it doesn't show at all...look like a professional installation! Highly recommended!!!
Sponsored