Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing you can do in D is use +/- button to “lock out” gears. So in essence around town might only need up to 6th or 7th gear. Use - direction and starting from 10 keep pushing - and 9, 8 etc. This keeps from lugging the engine and transmission hunting for gears. If you need more shift up with +. So it’s a half way sport mode. Higher mileage as a bonus. Now some may argue this point but I do think the adaptive learning sees this activity and personally have seen my shift patterns improve because of it.
This is good for towing.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I shift between D & S all the time, especially when I want additional engine braking going downhill.
My previous Rangers were all manual 5-speeds with cruise control I know, it’s a bad combination. It was annoying as heck to hit a long down grade - my truck would get those annoying “hiccups”. Now, with cruise control on, my Ranger downshifts to lower my speed just as you describe. Can’t get enough of that.

Sure, I miss the stick, but love the 10-speed tranny. And don’t even get me started on how great Sport mode is. ?
Sponsored