First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Xlt Sport 4x4
Occupation
Store Mgr
So just out of left field when I'm driving say on the highway can you shift.into sport mode or do u have to be at a stop to do so?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
So just out of left field when I'm driving say on the highway can you shift.into sport mode or do u have to be at a stop to do so?
I shift straight to sport mode and back while driving. I go back and forth all the time depending of the driving situation.

OP
OP
Ranger3

Ranger3

First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Xlt Sport 4x4
Occupation
Store Mgr
I shift straight to sport mode and back while driving. I go back and forth all the time depending of the driving situation.
Define driving situation? Thks I know sport u can shift manually but what other perks does it have?

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Yup, trigger and pull back, no trigger to go from S to D, just a push.

Lariat -

In D when you use the gear selector, it brings up the vertical stack of gears on the right side info screen, highlighting which you are in and where you are capped.

In S when you use the gear selector, it brings up the dial mode tachometer on the left screen, and a single red number on the same screen to identify which gear you are locked into.

Not that I love every aspect of the computer and automation in new vehicles, but how easily the vehicles changes with little to no user input is outstanding, and the complexity of each as well.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Define driving situation? Thks I know sport u can shift manually but what other perks does it have?
Different shift rpms, S holds the gears longer. It also disabled ASS, so if for example I know the stop will be quick I'll just drop it to S instead of hunting for the button

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
As others has stated, yes you can shift while driving. Take a look at the forum RP said, good precaution. I also lift my foot off the gas pedal before shifting, just a peace of mind thing I guess. S is terribly enjoyable, but it also has less efficiency in terms of MPG.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I shift into S for many reasons but almost always when climbing hills/mountains and when passing. The extra power works great in these situations.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Another thing you can do in D is use +/- button to “lock out” gears. So in essence around town might only need up to 6th or 7th gear. Use - direction and starting from 10 keep pushing - and 9, 8 etc. This keeps from lugging the engine and transmission hunting for gears. If you need more shift up with +. So it’s a half way sport mode. Higher mileage as a bonus. Now some may argue this point but I do think the adaptive learning sees this activity and personally have seen my shift patterns improve because of it.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Just don’t shift from S straight to P while going 45 mph like a jack wagon.
I assume you read the thread where one of the members was able to go from S to P. So yesterday I tried it. I don't think I could possibly move the shift lever fast enough to overcome the lockout. Everytime I tried to go from S to N, the lockout beat me.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I assume you read the thread where one of the members was able to go from S to P. So yesterday I tried it. I don't think I could possibly move the shift lever fast enough to overcome the lockout. Everytime I tried to go from S to N, the lockout beat me.
That was Brilliant …. :shock:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Sounds like an experiment I'd much prefer to do on a test drive with the dealer's truck.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Sounds like an experiment I'd much prefer to do on a test drive with the dealer's truck.
Honestly, it was no big deal. It seems virtually impossible to go from S to N or even further to R or P. (without pressing the button on the front of the shift lever)

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, it was no big deal. It seems virtually impossible to go from S to N or even further to R or P. (without pressing the button on the front of the shift lever)
Agree
I tried it today and S-D no trigger pull needed. To go into N (and I assume P!), trigger pull required.

OP - any chance you are just in the habit of pulling the trigger to move the selector? Muscle memory...
Sponsored