CVF Aluminum Intercooler Hot-side + Cold-side Piping Kit Installed

that408guy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Finally was able to install the CVF Hot + Cold kit this weekend. Below was my adventure and thoughts about everything.

The provided CVF couplers are a lot more rigid vs the OEM ones. Pipe quality and finish was very good.

20221112_133600_resized.jpg
20221112_153733.jpg
20221112_153752.jpg
20221112_153741(0).jpg

Hot Side

T-bolt clamps worked on this side, screws are a lot longer than they needed to be. Only pain was screwing them all the way down. Removing the cold air box made this side pretty easy to install. I have pretty much zero mechanical experience and had no real issues.

20221112_132027_resized.jpg
20221112_145207_resized.jpg

Cold Side

This side I had 2 problems. Possibly I was sent the a wrong t-bolt clamp (2 large clamps were inside the cold box) but one of them was too large. Tightening it all the way down to the last thread was not enough to keep things from moving. I ended up having to reuse 1 of the OEMs.

The second issue was with the aluminum nipple thing that plugs into the sensor. Possibly I was not using enough force to push it in, but I felt like I was about to break things and it would not sit in all the way to get the white tab to push back in over the lip. I had to wet sand a little at a time to get this to fit (About 8 twists with 400 grit then another 8 with 800). I found adding the aluminum thing into the sensor first, and then plugging that into the coupler was easiest. Maybe if I had more experience this would have not been an issue.

circled clamp below was the one that was too large.

20221112_163641 (1).jpg
sanded.jpg
20221112_170623.jpg
20221112_170634.jpg

Other than that, I am super pleased with the performance. I can definitely can hear the turbo kick in now. Also when you are punching it, you can hear and feel the gears better. Feels like I have more low end power too but I have no receipts to prove that.

20221112_145252_resized.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

CVF-Jason

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Sales Manager
Thanks for posting this! Its on my to do list. Seems weird CVF and AFE both come with the same wrong size clamps? @CVF-Jason what’s up?
Just a mix-up in the kit. We went ahead sent him new clamps immediately and changed our engineering files to ensure all kits have the correct clamps moving forward. We take user feedback seriously and routinely update our designs/files to account for reported items.

OP
OP
that408guy

that408guy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Just a mix-up in the kit. We went ahead sent him new clamps immediately and changed our engineering files to ensure all kits have the correct clamps moving forward. We take user feedback seriously and routinely update our designs/files to account for reported items.
Noice! thanks again for throwing in the decals.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
My kit just came in the mail. It looks like the cold side came with two large t-bolt clamps as well. Is this correct or did I get an old batch?

T-bolt clamp.JPG

Reactions: Doc

CVF-Jason

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Sales Manager
My kit just came in the mail. It looks like the cold side came with two large t-bolt clamps as well. Is this correct or did I get an old batch?

T-bolt clamp.JPG
Shoot me a PM with your order number and we'll get you the correct ones. You may have gotten one of the initial kits before we made the change.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
I'm going to wait till I get a warm day. The high is going to be 49 and windy tomorrow and working in the driveway would not be fun. So I'm going quail hunting. I also have the intercooler to install and I plan to do it all at once and get a tune update from Torrie. Can't wait.

livetoski78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT, 2020 Explorer ST
Occupation
Software Engineer, EMT, Amateur Rocket Scientist
Looks like the hot side was easy (removing the air box, as you said). What about the cold side install, any access issues / things that needed to be removed?

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Looks like the hot side was easy (removing the air box, as you said). What about the cold side install, any access issues / things that needed to be removed?
Cold side was straight forward. The hardest part is getting the old pipe out and getting the new one down in the cavity. I had to remove my catch can to make room to work and disconnect the one yellow plug floating above the pipe. Make sure you leave the fittings loose at the rubber piece at the end. I had to keep loosening and adjusting until the aluminum plug was in a good position to connect and wiggle the rubber sleeve towards the turbo connection so it fit as tightly as possible. There is still a 1/16" gap at the turbo but I am not worried about it. The drive to work this morning had no issues.

If the metal clamp they sent you has 94/86 stamped on it, toss it. It's too big and wont tighten down. Steal the OEM clamp off the end of the pipe.

Cold Side 1.JPG

Cold Side 2.JPG

Last edited: