CVF Intercooler Install and Review

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
This post will be for an upcoming install and review of the CVF intercooler which should be coming to market soon. I accepted the role of independent and unaffiliated tester. I live at sea level in Texas. Pics will follow along with a full write up. Stay tuned!! I will try to get this done this evening if time allows.

EDIT-Ok Folks, here you go.

1. Remove top radiator plastic panel. 5 push pins and 2 torx bolts.
2. Remove 4 7mm bolts holding middle plastic cover which was revealed after taking off previous panel
3. Remove 2 10mm bolts on top of grille, 1 on each side. Lift up to pull grill forward.
4. Release grille tabs, 5 on bottom and 1 each side. The side ones are hidden behind the rubber intercooler trim pieces. Just pry them A bit and you will see the tabs. Remove grille.
5. Remove middle plastic panel. It is held on by 4 7mm bolts. NOTE-these bolts DID NOT fit the CVF intercooler. This has been communicated to CVF.
NOTE- Search YouTube for “Ranger Raptor Grill Install” if you want a video of above steps. Hardest part is releasing grille tabs.
6. Remove front most fender flare push pin. This gives you a bit of flex for next steps.
7. Remove side marker lights. I used my finger to depress the tab while simultaneously using a thin flare blade screwdriver slid between front bottom of light and fender flare. You are depressing the tab blind. Access is limited. Feel around and you will find it.
8. Disconnect side light. You will see a single t20 torx bolt. Remove that as well.
9. Behind the light Andre fender flare. you will see a 7mm bolt head. Pry the flare away and use a 7mm wrench to undo the bolt. Again access is limited here but you have enough room I promise.
10. Remove 5 30mm torx that are under intercooler connecting front fascia support brackets to frame. You can access 3 easily through bumper opening. 2 (1 on each end) required me to go under the truck. I didn’t have to remove anything but if you are not flexible or if you have giant arms these last 2 bolts might be difficult to get to. I used a stubby ratchet. They were not torqued tight thankfully.
11. Remove fascia bracket push pin and 10mm bolt. Bolt is behind the intercooler trim piece. Again just pry it away it’s easy.
12. Remove front fascia. Start under headlights and pull to release tabs.
13. Remover intercooler trim pieces. 2 8mm bolts, 1 up too 1 on bottom and a pushpin on side.
14. Disconnect intercooler charge pipes.
15. On bottom of intercooler there is a bracket (1 per side) and each bracket has 2 t30 torx bolts ( 4 bolts total) Remove these.
16. Up top you have 2 13mm nuts, 1 per side. Remove these and lift intercooler out. NOTE-It was NOT necessary to loosen or move good latch assembly. Leave it alone.
17. Transfer bottom brackets/rubber to CVF intercooler.
18. Transfer top rubber to CVF intercooler. Use some WD40 to aid removal and install of the rubber.
19. Remove map sensor from stock intercooler and install on the CVF unit. It was a very tight fit to seat the map sensor in comparison to stock. I advised CVF to check dimensions and consider enlarging the hike ever so slightly.
21. I removed the foam on top and bottom of stock intercooler and installed on CVF intercooler. I advised CVF that it would be beneficial to provide new peel and stick foam for market release if possible.
20. Install CVF intercooler. It drops right in. Make sure to reconnect map sensor wiring.
21. From here on out install is the reverse of the above.

Overall the fit of the CVF intercooler was perfect. A couple minor issues noted above but overall I’d say it was 98 percent perfect. If the minor issues are resolved it will be 100 percent.

Stock intercooler is 2.5” thick and weighs 10lbs. CVF unit is 3.5” thick and weighs 26lbs. Per CVF core volume has increased 46% over stock and fin density is 50% greater.

I took the truck for some quick test drives. Everything functioned as it should. No blown couplers, no. Check engine lights. Truck is stock, no Tune, with only a Roush intake. SPD 3” downpipe and exhaust will be going on in the next couple of weeks along with a proper tune. Based on my experience in turbocharged vehicles, and my tuner’s experience, an intercooler upgrade of this size WILL benefit from additional tuning, regardless if it works without additional tuning. When you decrease restriction boost also decreases, and waste gate duty cycles and volumetric efficiency tables, along with fueling tables and what not, will allow you to take full advantage of the modification.

As of right now the biggest restriction in the system is the charge pipes which CVF is addressing.

Data-stock intercooler, not heat soaked I saw temperatures from 14 degrees higher than ambient during WOT…and 30+ at times non WOT. THIS WAS IN A 74 degree day at sea level.

CVF INTERCOOLER. AT WOT I saw temps as low as 7 degrees over ambient. Out of boost just driving the average temperature was 15-16 degrees over ambient. Highest I saw was 19.5. The intercooler also recovered much much faster than stock. It did not heat soak quickly like the stocker. This is a nice reduction in boost temperature coupled with increased flow potential. I am sure the intercooler will continue to shine as my upcoming mods are added.

Peak Boost- Stock I saw 22.4 and with the CVF I saw peak of 21.3. This is actually more than I was expecting. I had anticipated 20.

I am very happy with the intercooler and I hope that this information will help you in your modding path. Thanks for reading. If you all have questions I will do my best to answer them. I included pertinent pictures. I did not include pictures of the steps that you can easily find on youtube under Raptor Ranger Grill Install. This is a great time to upgrade your grille as well (which I did)

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

IMG_4233.jpg

IMG_4234.jpg

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4236.jpg

IMG_4237.jpg

IMG_4238.jpg

IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4247.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I can't speak for their's. The one I bought was custom made, so I can't compare it to others either. However, with no further tuning except for Ford's Performance Tune, you could indeed tell the difference in the seat-of-the pants.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Nice data. Thanks Michael. Now I want an aftermarket intercooler but boy do I not want to install it. I feel like I will snap the grille tabs being the idiot I am. :asshat:

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hmm judging by Mishimoto's intercooler specs with their charge pipe kit... An intercooler would be 4 more whp and 4 more lbs torque. Makes sense with your data included, lowering ambient temp roughly around 11-13 F will net 1%ish more hp. This is for stock ranger though, I am sure it changes a little bit with the inclusion of other performance mods.

Reactions: Doc

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Nice data. Thanks Michael. Now I want an aftermarket intercooler but boy do I not want to install it. I feel like I will snap the grille tabs being the idiot I am. :asshat:
you are welcome. I did snap one of the side tabs on the stock grille. Fortunately I was installing the Raptor Grille so I didn’t care. The stock grilleis surprisingly heavy compared to the raptor grill.
Total install tune was probably around 5 hours going slow. I did. It use power tools. For this install and the space constraints they really wouldn’t help or speed anything up. If you are familiar with the front end disassembly then this could be done in about 1/2 the time.

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Hmm judging by Mishimoto's intercooler specs with their charge pipe kit... An intercooler would be 4 more whp and 4 more lbs torque. Makes sense with your data included, lowering ambient temp roughly around 11-13 F will net 1%ish more hp. This is for stock ranger though, I am sure it changes a little bit with the inclusion of other performance mods.
i can’t say that I feel any power increase (nor did I expect to feel one with a stock untuned truck) , but I can confidently say that I feel NO DECREASE. I’ve done about 5 WOT pulls so far post install and all is as it should be.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
you are welcome. I did snap one of the side tabs on the stock grille. Fortunately I was installing the Raptor Grille so I didn’t care. The stock grilleis surprisingly heavy compared to the raptor grill.
Total install tune was probably around 5 hours going slow. I did. It use power tools. For this install and the space constraints they really wouldn’t help or speed anything up. If you are familiar with the front end disassembly then this could be done in about 1/2 the time.
Appreciate the insight. You have scared me away :crackup: I am the furthest from knowing what I am doing when it comes to the truck except for simple, and I mean simple, bolt ons like the charge pipe kit, or CAI/exhaust.

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Appreciate the insight. You have scared me away :crackup: I am the furthest from knowing what I am doing when it comes to the truck except for simple, and I mean simple, bolt ons like the charge pipe kit, or CAI/exhaust.
there are only 3 steps which are tricky.
1. grille tabs
2. Far side fascia to body bolts (have to access underneath and use creative arm manipulation without seeing anything
3. 7mm hex bolt behind side marker lights and fender flare-space is limited…although if you took time to remove the flare completely it would be a breeze.
Other than those 3 steps everything else is simple. Also note that these 3 steps are required for any intercooler install. They are not unique to the CVF. Just part of the game.

Last edited:

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
This post will be for an upcoming install and review of the CVF intercooler which should be coming to market soon. I accepted the role of independent and unaffiliated tester. I live at sea level in Texas. Pics will follow along with a full write up. Stay tuned!! I will try to get this done this evening if time allows.

EDIT-Ok Folks, here you go.

1. Remove top radiator plastic panel. 5 push pins and 2 torx bolts.
2. Remove 4 7mm bolts holding middle plastic cover which was revealed after taking off previous panel
3. Remove 2 10mm bolts on top of grille, 1 on each side. Lift up to pull grill forward.
4. Release grille tabs, 5 on bottom and 1 each side. The side ones are hidden behind the rubber intercooler trim pieces. Just pry them A bit and you will see the tabs. Remove grille.
5. Remove middle plastic panel. It is held on by 4 7mm bolts. NOTE-these bolts DID NOT fit the CVF intercooler. This has been communicated to CVF.
NOTE- Search YouTube for “Ranger Raptor Grill Install” if you want a video of above steps. Hardest part is releasing grille tabs.
6. Remove front most fender flare push pin. This gives you a bit of flex for next steps.
7. Remove side marker lights. I used my finger to depress the tab while simultaneously using a thin flare blade screwdriver slid between front bottom of light and fender flare. You are depressing the tab blind. Access is limited. Feel around and you will find it.
8. Disconnect side light. You will see a single t20 torx bolt. Remove that as well.
9. Behind the light Andre fender flare. you will see a 7mm bolt head. Pry the flare away and use a 7mm wrench to undo the bolt. Again access is limited here but you have enough room I promise.
10. Remove 5 30mm torx that are under intercooler connecting front fascia support brackets to frame. You can access 3 easily through bumper opening. 2 (1 on each end) required me to go under the truck. I didn’t have to remove anything but if you are not flexible or if you have giant arms these last 2 bolts might be difficult to get to. I used a stubby ratchet. They were not torqued tight thankfully.
11. Remove fascia bracket push pin and 10mm bolt. Bolt is behind the intercooler trim piece. Again just pry it away it’s easy.
12. Remove front fascia. Start under headlights and pull to release tabs.
13. Remover intercooler trim pieces. 2 8mm bolts, 1 up too 1 on bottom and a pushpin on side.
14. Disconnect intercooler charge pipes.
15. On bottom of intercooler there is a bracket (1 per side) and each bracket has 2 t30 torx bolts ( 4 bolts total) Remove these.
16. Up top you have 2 13mm nuts, 1 per side. Remove these and lift intercooler out. NOTE-It was NOT necessary to loosen or move good latch assembly. Leave it alone.
17. Transfer bottom brackets/rubber to CVF intercooler.
18. Transfer top rubber to CVF intercooler. Use some WD40 to aid removal and install of the rubber.
19. Remove map sensor from stock intercooler and install on the CVF unit. It was a very tight fit to seat the map sensor in comparison to stock. I advised CVF to check dimensions and consider enlarging the hike ever so slightly.
21. I removed the foam on top and bottom of stock intercooler and installed on CVF intercooler. I advised CVF that it would be beneficial to provide new peel and stick foam for market release if possible.
20. Install CVF intercooler. It drops right in. Make sure to reconnect map sensor wiring.
21. From here on out install is the reverse of the above.

Overall the fit of the CVF intercooler was perfect. A couple minor issues noted above but overall I’d say it was 98 percent perfect. If the minor issues are resolved it will be 100 percent.

Stock intercooler is 2.5” thick and weighs 10lbs. CVF unit is 3.5” thick and weighs 26lbs. Per CVF core volume has increased 46% over stock and fin density is 50% greater.

I took the truck for some quick test drives. Everything functioned as it should. No blown couplers, no. Check engine lights. Truck is stock, no Tune, with only a Roush intake. SPD 3” downpipe and exhaust will be going on in the next couple of weeks along with a proper tune. Based on my experience in turbocharged vehicles, and my tuner’s experience, an intercooler upgrade of this size WILL benefit from additional tuning, regardless if it works without additional tuning. When you decrease restriction boost also decreases, and waste gate duty cycles and volumetric efficiency tables, along with fueling tables and what not, will allow you to take full advantage of the modification.

As of right now the biggest restriction in the system is the charge pipes which CVF is addressing.

Data-stock intercooler, not heat soaked I saw temperatures from 14 degrees higher than ambient during WOT…and 30+ at times non WOT. THIS WAS IN A 74 degree day at sea level.

CVF INTERCOOLER. AT WOT I saw temps as low as 7 degrees over ambient. Out of boost just driving the average temperature was 15-16 degrees over ambient. Highest I saw was 19.5. The intercooler also recovered much much faster than stock. It did not heat soak quickly like the stocker. This is a nice reduction in boost temperature coupled with increased flow potential. I am sure the intercooler will continue to shine as my upcoming mods are added.

Peak Boost- Stock I saw 22.4 and with the CVF I saw peak of 21.3. This is actually more than I was expecting. I had anticipated 20.

I am very happy with the intercooler and I hope that this information will help you in your modding path. Thanks for reading. If you all have questions I will do my best to answer them. I included pertinent pictures. I did not include pictures of the steps that you can easily find on youtube under Raptor Ranger Grill Install. This is a great time to upgrade your grille as well (which I did)

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

IMG_4233.jpg

IMG_4234.jpg

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4236.jpg

IMG_4237.jpg

IMG_4238.jpg

IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4247.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg
Glad you got this tested. I was going to, but I told Jason that right now was just not a good time. It looks great and they are a fantastic company. Plus, it will be significantly cheaper than the competition...

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Yep I can’t be happier with how it turned out. Now just need the upgraded charge pipes and I’ll be set.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
This is cool. I was reading an article about getting power out of the 2.3 and that's where I saw the name CVF being used when they referred to the CVF downpipe. I ordered their 304SS downpipe and it should be here Friday. Next is intercooler and charge pipes.
And for the grill I removed the valence with the grill on it and.was able to take.off the grill in a few seconds, it's so hard to get the tabs with the valence on.

gryder

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
Any update on the intercooler pipes?

CVF-Jason

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Sales Manager
Any update on the intercooler pipes?
Intercooler itself will be available in mid-February. We're reworking the design for the piping, so it's going to take a little while longer.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Yep I can’t be happier with how it turned out. Now just need the upgraded charge pipes and I’ll be set.
Did you ever get your tune updated and if you did how did that turn out?
Sponsored