First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
While I'm not running the 91-93 Performance tune, I can add my "just do it" advice. I was looking to help recover some of the MPG I lost when I put my Toyo AT3s on my truck and it has almost recovered that - it also feels better than the stock tune - the butt dyno approves!

Now you make me wonder if I should experiment with the 91-93 tune! I'm just cheap - I don't want to spring for premium....

I would recommend this in a heartbeat!
I'm cheap frugal too. But I bought the tune to get the maximum out of it so for a few extra bucks putting 91 is worth it for me. Although gas is going up every couple days here and 91 is already up to $4.49/gal.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'm cheap frugal too. But I bought the tune to get the maximum out of it so for a few extra bucks putting 91 is worth it for me. Although gas is going up every couple days here and 91 is already up to $4.49/gal.
I did experiment a while back (before I got the tune) with running premium. I wanted to see if I got better MPG with premium. Short answer is that I did, but it didn't offset the difference in price. So I went back to regular.

Makes me want to try again with the Livernois premium tune (91-93). Originally I did the soft shift tune but I went to the "normal" tune and I think I like it better - shifts are firm but not jerky and it seems like it will be easier on the trans long term.

Given what the 6G looks like, and Ford's quality issues, I may have this one for quite some time.....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I did experiment a while back (before I got the tune) with running premium. I wanted to see if I got better MPG with premium. Short answer is that I did, but it didn't offset the difference in price. So I went back to regular.

Makes me want to try again with the Livernois premium tune (91-93). Originally I did the soft shift tune but I went to the "normal" tune and I think I like it better - shifts are firm but not jerky and it seems like it will be easier on the trans long term.

Given what the 6G looks like, and Ford's quality issues, I may have this one for quite some time.....
I'd try it out. I've bounced back and forth with the 91-93 soft shift/performance tunes. I really like the performance one the best. I drive pretty tame but it's nice to have that added power there when you feel the need for it. ?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Oddly enough I found a place that had 93 and it seemed noticeably slower than 91. It was priced way high so I think maybe it was due to it sitting for so long? Maybe not many people go out of their way for 93 when 91 is 50c cheaper everywhere else and it was stale gas.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd try it out. I've bounced back and forth with the 91-93 soft shift/performance tunes. I really like the performance one the best. I drive pretty tame but it's nice to have that added power there when you feel the need for it. ?
One of the things I like best about this truck is how quickly it will accelerate - If I want to pass someone - BOOM! I'm up to 80 before I know it! I will never forget what one of my friends said after riding in it shortly after I got it - and I quote "Holy Shit this thing is FAST!!!" :crackup: It isn't a sports car, but it is really quick for a truck!

I may experiment on the next tank or two. I'm curious now. Right now, I'm running the Tow tune but I was planning to go back to the 87 Performance tune (which I liked before) - the tow tune was OK but I seem to have lost a bit of MPGs with it.

I don't know why I'm so hung up on MPG but I'd like to squeeze as much as I can out of it.

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance

*laughs in Texan*

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
One of the things I like best about this truck is how quickly it will accelerate - If I want to pass someone - BOOM! I'm up to 80 before I know it! I will never forget what one of my friends said after riding in it shortly after I got it - and I quote "Holy Shit this thing is FAST!!!" :crackup: It isn't a sports car, but it is really quick for a truck!

I may experiment on the next tank or two. I'm curious now. Right now, I'm running the Tow tune but I was planning to go back to the 87 Performance tune (which I liked before) - the tow tune was OK but I seem to have lost a bit of MPGs with it.

I don't know why I'm so hung up on MPG but I'd like to squeeze as much as I can out of it.
My neighbor has a 280Z with a few mods. He's in his 70's and doesn't race but I gave him a ride and punched it and threw him back in his seat. He said the same Holy shit that thing goes. lol

I tried the tow tune and didn't care for it. It really didn't have much punch to it and I really didn't notice the mpg with it. I'm still amazed I'm averaging 22.4 and higher when all highway. I'm not to obsessed with mileage but it's nice to know the tune made a little difference. I'm getting the Toyo's installed tomorrow but the specs say they're 2 lbs lighter than my Nittos so my mileage should be the same.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My old highly modified RX-7 Turbo generated quite a few profanity laced exclamations from passengers.

It would break the tires loose on the 2-3 shift at 65 mph, and not just a little bark.

Well, it would when it was running right, which was sadly more rare than I would've liked.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My old highly modified RX-7 Turbo generated quite a few profanity laced exclamations from passengers.

It would break the tires loose on the 2-3 shift at 65 mph, and not just a little bark.

Well, it would when it was running right, which was sadly more rare than I would've liked.
It isn't hard at all to break the tires loose on this truck......

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Do you think the non-soft shift feels more powerful than the soft shift? I am not sure how it would, but thinking about giving it a shot. I am really happy how the soft shift feels and performs.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Do you think the non-soft shift feels more powerful than the soft shift? I am not sure how it would, but thinking about giving it a shot. I am really happy how the soft shift feels and performs.
I wouldn't say more powerful but it's (power band) obviously more noticeable with the harder shifts. I don't remember who posted it but they said the harder (firmer) shifts were better for the clutches. ?‍♂ I ran the soft shift for over a year and loved it too. I just wasn't impressed with the tow tune.

Searching I found this and that's what I remember it was here saying something similar. It's an older post from '07 and they're talking about shift kits but it's the same principle.

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/th...kes-for-a-longer-lasting-transmission.468565/

In order for manufacturers to get a smooth shift for the general public, they have to make the transmission slip into each gear slowly. They have studied and tested and compromised to get the balance between slipping, smooth shifts and a long lasting transmission. They have done fairly well to get both. As you start increasing HP the slipping smooth shifts will eat the transmission clutches in short order. This is one reason why people install shift kits. It allows the shifts to become firmer with less slip. This will last longer with the added HP.

As HP keeps going up more mods are needed to keep the clutches alive. Added hydralic pressure, added clutchs with better heat resisance, high temp bands, manual valve bodies to speed up shift time. At this point the trans will require more maintainance.

As a general rule, a firmer shift will allow the clutches to live longer. On the other hand if the transmission "bangs" into gear on a road driven street car, the u-joints will need more maintainance. So firm is good and banging is bad.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I wouldn't say more powerful but it's (power band) obviously more noticeable with the harder shifts. I don't remember who posted it but they said the harder (firmer) shifts were better for the clutches. ?‍♂ I ran the soft shift for over a year and loved it too. I just wasn't impressed with the tow tune.

Searching I found this and that's what I remember it was here saying something similar. It's an older post from '07 and they're talking about shift kits but it's the same principle.
I think as long as we are not hitting the tranny with 400+ HP, the softer shift 93 octane tune should be just fine. It's still a little firmer than stock.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think as long as we are not hitting the tranny with 400+ HP, the softer shift 93 octane tune should be just fine.
"Should " be? ?‍♂

Slipping clutches is never good no matter what the hp is. Remember Livernois claims 80 hp/100 tq running their 91-93 tunes so that gets you close.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I guess by 'should be' I meant no more additional clutch wear than stock. (with softer shift performance tune).

Russd

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vw bus 4runner
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What are the shifts like with the non soft shift tune? I’ve read the soft shift is still firmer than stock.
Sponsored