Curious about changing only the rear shocks....

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I've been looking for some good way to tell just how much of a difference a suspension upgrade will make, and all the reviews I've run across are so... subjective... it's really hard to tell.

I have a 2019 Lariat FX4, and I will take this off road up into the mountains to do some hiking/backpacking/camping, as well as just to go play on the offroad trails available in my area. I find the on-road ride to be fine, if a little stiff in the rear, but there is quite a bit of wallowing. For example, when I pull out of my driveway at an angle over the curb, the truck will rock back and forth 3-4 times before finally settling down. I'd like a ride that feels a little more planted, but don't really want to break the bank to get it.

So, will it make much difference if I only swap out the factory FX4 rear shocks for the stage 2 Fox shocks available at Level 3? I see they are on sale right now, so I'd pull the trigger if I could be convinced that it will help settle down the body roll a bit.

If it matters, I'd also like to get a 2.5" RC leveling kit for the front, but have hesitated to do so if I really need to replace shocks in rear and coilovers in the front to get a better ride.

I'm not a crazy offroader and I'm not looking to build a massive overlander. I don't necessarily want bigger tires or wheels... just a less wobbly and stiff ride that will still perform well off road.

Happy to hear opinions - especially if you have only swapped out the rear shocks.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
And quick follow-up question: If I replace only rear shocks, should I take the truck in for an alignment? (I assume no, but I'm a novice with swapping suspension bits)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
And quick follow-up question: If I replace only rear shocks, should I take the truck in for an alignment? (I assume no, but I'm a novice with swapping suspension bits)
Hi Kimball,

No need to realign for rear shocks only.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I put just the rear Eibach's shocks on, made a huge difference for me. When there is no weight in the bed, it rides 100x nicer. I wish I had done the upgrade months ago.
My new Fox 2.0 rear shocks should arrive tomorrow... Can't wait to get them on. Thanks for letting me know how yours turned out!

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
My new Fox 2.0 rear shocks should arrive tomorrow... Can't wait to get them on. Thanks for letting me know how yours turned out!
They made a big difference for me... no more bouncy rear end when you hit a bump on the hwy. It's how it should have been from the factory. Can't give you any off road comparisons as I don't have a need to do that but I have to think it will also be better.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I am sure they will work great. Someone was asking in another thread for the most "Bang for your buck mod", i think the rear shock replacement is the most bang for the buck mod I have done yet.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I replaced the rears with Fabtechs and the valving matched the front FX4 fronts. I'm happy with it. The rears were to stiff stock.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I just changed my rear shocks to Eibach's an did a test run an to me it's night an day better. Rear feels solid, firm an controlled. No more busy bouncy feel. For $200 this is the best mod I've done.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
the Eibach shocks feel heavier an more solid than the stock ones
truck shocks.jpg

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
the front feels fine to me Cape I'm now afraid to change it since I like the ride lol. I'm looking at the eibach front's. I might buy a set of used take off fx4 struts to take to a shop with the eibachs to have assembled so I can just swap them out at home.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
the front feels fine to me Cape I'm now afraid to change it since I like the ride lol. I'm looking at the eibach front's. I might buy a set of used take off fx4 struts to take to a shop with the eibachs to have assembled so I can just swap them out at home.
I just bit the bullet and ordered the front eibachs too...

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
My rear shocks arrived yesterday, but life has been too hectic to get them installed yet. Possibly tonight, more likely this weekend. Can't wait to feel the ride difference.
Sponsored