First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4WD Lariat
Occupation
Retired
CR never really loves any car unless it's a Honda Accord or BMW 3 series. It gave the Ranger a decent recommendation in it's recent new car issue. It only recommended the Honda Ridgeline and Ford Ranger in the compact truck category. Lows for the Taco: "Ride, handling, braking, noise, driving position, seat comfort" They liked resale value and off road capability. I don't buy vehicles based on Consumer Reports reviews but I do like to see what they say about reliability and they give the Ranger very good marks. I was surprised at the low reliability ratings for the Canyon/Colorado and low owner satisfaction. Glad I didn't seriously look at them when I bought mu Ranger.
Sponsored

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
CR never really loves any car unless it's a Honda Accord or BMW 3 series. It gave the Ranger a decent recommendation in it's recent new car issue. It only recommended the Honda Ridgeline and Ford Ranger in the compact truck category. Lows for the Taco: "Ride, handling, braking, noise, driving position, seat comfort" They liked resale value and off road capability. I don't buy vehicles based on Consumer Reports reviews but I do like to see what they say about reliability and they give the Ranger very good marks. I was surprised at the low reliability ratings for the Canyon/Colorado and low owner satisfaction. Glad I didn't seriously look at them when I bought mu Ranger.
I totally get it. I waited for a long time to buy a new Ranger and now that I finally have the seat dialed in I'm very happy with it. Never been impressed with the C/C but then again I have of late sworn off GM for the rest of my life. The way they kicked Saturn owners to the curb, myself included, with the VTI transmission fiasco was the very definition of bad faith and they don't need any more of my money.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rich,

I had to subscribe to CR while at Ford. Had to keep a finger of the pulse of CR. We even had drive evaluations with the question of what would CR rate this feature/development/vehicle. One satisfaction I had almost immediately after retiring was to cancel my subscription immediately.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for bringing this report to our attention. It is really interesting that there is such a gap in Consumer Reports' ratings among the class-leading Ridgeline, the second-place Ranger, and the third-place Taco.

I would never buy anything solely based on CR.'s reviews, but I do take them into consideration along with other sources for important purchases. Here is what they had to say about the 2020 Ranger: "The Ranger returned to the U.S. after an eight-year absence. It serves as an alternative to full-sized pickups for drivers who want a maneuverable truck with off-road ability that can capably haul and tow. The Ranger is distinguished by its strong powertrain and standard automatic emergency braking (AEB). Under its tough, rugged appearance we found a relatively quiet and fuel-efficient machine compromised by a punishing ride, clumsy handling, and a few ill-designed controls...."

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for bringing this report to our attention. It is really interesting that there is such a gap in Consumer Reports' ratings among the class-leading Ridgeline, the second-place Ranger, and the third-place Taco.

I would never buy anything solely based on CR.'s reviews, but I do take them into consideration along with other sources for important purchases. Here is what they had to say about the 2020 Ranger: "The Ranger returned to the U.S. after an eight-year absence. It serves as an alternative to full-sized pickups for drivers who want a maneuverable truck with off-road ability that can capably haul and tow. The Ranger is distinguished by its strong powertrain and standard automatic emergency braking (AEB). Under its tough, rugged appearance we found a relatively quiet and fuel-efficient machine compromised by a punishing ride, clumsy handling, and a few ill-designed controls...."
"Punishing ride"????? Where on earth did that come from? I could see someone quoting clumsy handling with the "bouncy" ride, but that is at the opposite end of the spectrum from "punishing" in my mind. And "Ill designed" controls is just like "Intuitive UI" - it is totally up to the person - for some people, something may be completely intuitive and for others it is completely UNintuitive. Same goes for ride characteristics - just look at all the comments here.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Punishing ride? What were they driving?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
"Punishing ride"????? Where on earth did that come from? I could see someone quoting clumsy handling with the "bouncy" ride, but that is at the opposite end of the spectrum from "punishing" in my mind. And "Ill designed" controls is just like "Intuitive UI" - it is totally up to the person - for some people, something may be completely intuitive and for others it is completely UNintuitive. Same goes for ride characteristics - just look at all the comments here.

I wouldn't even think that "Punishing" would be a fitting descriptor for the ride quality on the Ranger. Yes in stock form is definitely is not perfect, but there's not a truck out there that really is. I mean, it's a truck if you want a vehicle with a perfect ride, don't buy a truck. Does it have room for improvement? Sure.. But Punishing? No.

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Let's be honest, the AC temp control and folding mirror buttons may be the worst design ever. However all in all it's still the best mid size truck available.

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
"punishing ride, clumsy handling, and a few ill-designed controls.

Well, I am going against the grain of the previous comments here but I (surprisingly) have to agree with the CR comments for at least 2 of the 3 complaints.

The rough 'bouncy' ride on the highway CAN be 'punishingly' annoying.

Some of the console controls can be dangerous to use. Trying to find the right button to push to adjust the climate controls can be extremely difficult and time consuming with the tiny almost unreadable signage and lighting (or lack thereof). You need to take your eyes too far away from the windshield for too long of a time for it to be safe. Plus there is no tactile feel way to easily discern what button you are touching.
The steering wheel controls are not that much better for some of the functions, and even worse for others.
The only saving grace for climate controls is to use the display screen for some of the changes, but even then it can be awkward.

I have no complaints about 'clumsy handling'.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

Let's be honest, the AC temp control and folding mirror buttons may be the worst design ever. However all in all it's still the best mid size truck available.
The mirror fold button isn't that bad once you get used to it being there. It's darn near second nature for me now since I do it all the time.

I do wish there was knobs for climate control. I like knobs and not buttons. But I have the auto climate control so I usually just leave it be all the time anyways. Maybe change temp +/-2deg depending on how I feel, but very rarely. I would definitely be more upset with a manual controlled climate system though. But all-in-all, definitely not a dealbreaker by any means.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I may be odd but I don't use the buttons when I change my climate, radio, and other voice-activated systems just tell the system I want the climate set 73 and it does it. as well as a ton of other settings, All voice-controlled.

To date, I have not touched the manual temperature settings. Why should I when I can just sit back and tell the system what temp and other settings to use.

But that's the kind of stuff that I buy what I'm looking for a vehicle. Convenience. Nothing is more convenient than telling the truck what to do instead of fumbling for manual buttons

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Punishing ride? What were they driving?
A truck with the tire pressure set to 45 PSI from the dealer, probably.

Personally I wasn't worried about 1st year reliability since this truck was really born in other markets years ago.

But mainly, I bought the truck because of the motor and the seat comfort. Everything else is just a bonus.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Folks complaining about folding mirror and knobless climate control and I'm just over here with my XL happy as can be ?

Sometimes it pays to have simple tastes I guess.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Whew!! glad I didn't see that before I bought! It would have added an element of worry while I waited.
I guess even a blind pig occasionally finds a truffle! :giggle:
Sponsored