First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Better half say's I can spend a few $$$ on the Ranger. Being old school and the fact I tow a lot, I like to check trans fluid frequently.
Thread is NOT about cost !!!
Question to those of you that have installed one.....can you add fluid thru the dipstick tube. I know it's a small diameter and probably takes awhile, but is it doable ???
Asking as my next big purchase will be the PPE Pan, and the ability to refill via the tube would make the fill process much easier for an old fart with creakey joints...save me from crawling under to refill.
Sponsored

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I've purchased both, and regarding filling via tube (per instructions - yes, you can fill via the tube).

That said, I have not installed either item yet.

I am still looking at where in the engine bay I wish to place the tube. I want it to be primarily vertical for fill purposes, and I prefer it to be engine mounted to limit flexing of the tube. I'm thinking that I'll need to get creative and fabricate a bracket.

I picked up the deep pan as it hold additional 1.75 quarts of fluid.

I think it best to install the Dip Stick first. This insures the fluid level will be accurate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks. Planning on the dipstick first. I plan on doing a fluid change at around 15,000 miles (4000 miles to go) and hopefully will get the pan just prior for an install.
I tow, frequently, a 7000 lb travel trailer and am more concerned about keeping track of the fluid quality. The hottest it has got so far was right at 220 degrees (via my ScanGauge lll) but that was towing up a mountain grade this past summer. Cooled down quickly once it leveled off. Very rarely gets above 195 during daily driving.
I like to check it frequently when on the road, but almost impossible to do in campgrounds, dirt/gravel parking areas.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I am pushing 17K, and was planning to wait until the warranty expired at 3 years 36K, but I am now having second thoughts about waiting that long. And here in NC it is best to do it before summer - 95F with 95%+ humidity is no fun to turn wrenches in tight quarters.

I do have a 2 post lift in the garage so it will be a bit easier, but I can only raise it 4' due to 2nd floor. I put the lift in when all I owned was my Miata and my 2005 Ranger. Both fit just fine.... But the 2020 is a much taller truck. I have a nice low padded stool with wheels so the pan R&R will straight forward.

The trick with the dip stick is that, per the instructions, you need to mount it before you scribe the levels, as how many bends may slightly change how far the dip stick reaches into the pan.

I think I am going to put the truck up on the lift. Let it sit until stone cold. Check and mark the level on the original dip stick. Install the new dipstick. Check the level and mark the new dipstick, then based upon those two marks measure the distance from the original dipstick to the 4-5-6 range and mark the new dipstick the same distance from the full mark on it.

Full is 4-5 when hot 206F - 215F (running and shifted through all gear ranges)
and 5-6 when cold just started (running and shifted through all gear ranges)

2020 Ranger Transmission Dipstick Level .jpg

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I've purchased both, and regarding filling via tube (per instructions - yes, you can fill via the tube).

That said, I have not installed either item yet.

I am still looking at where in the engine bay I wish to place the tube. I want it to be primarily vertical for fill purposes, and I prefer it to be engine mounted to limit flexing of the tube. I'm thinking that I'll need to get creative and fabricate a bracket.

I picked up the deep pan as it hold additional 1.75 quarts of fluid.

I think it best to install the Dip Stick first. This insures the fluid level will be accurate.
Where did you get that deeper trans pan? Maybe a link?

TIA

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I am pushing 17K, and was planning to wait until the warranty expired at 3 years 36K, but I am now having second thoughts about waiting that long. And here in NC it is best to do it before summer - 95F with 95%+ humidity is no fun to turn wrenches in tight quarters.

I do have a 2 post lift in the garage so it will be a bit easier, but I can only raise it 4' due to 2nd floor. I put the lift in when all I owned was my Miata and my 2005 Ranger. Both fit just fine.... But the 2020 is a much taller truck. I have a nice low padded stool with wheels so the pan R&R will straight forward.

The trick with the dip stick is that, per the instructions, you need to mount it before you scribe the levels, as how many bends may slightly change how far the dip stick reaches into the pan.

I think I am going to put the truck up on the lift. Let it sit until stone cold. Check and mark the level on the original dip stick. Install the new dipstick. Check the level and mark the new dipstick, then based upon those two marks measure the distance from the original dipstick to the 4-5-6 range and mark the new dipstick the same distance from the full mark on it.

Full is 4-5 when hot 206F - 215F (running and shifted through all gear ranges)
and 5-6 when cold just started (running and shifted through all gear ranges)

2020 Ranger Transmission Dipstick Level .jpg
Honestly, unless you are doing something REALLY over-the-top you don't need to change your 10R80 transmission fluid until around 50K. I have 96K on mine and to say I have pushed my tuned Ranger tranny would be a drastic understatement! I had the dealer change mine with the filter at 57K. I have continued to push my Ranger since with no issue. I have a wireless OBD II gauge setup to monitor Engine Temp, Transmission Temp and Oil Pressure. I will be changing again at about 110K and hope to add the deeper pan for good measure.....btw, she runs just as good as day 1.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Honestly, unless you are doing something REALLY over-the-top you don't need to change your 10R80 transmission fluid until around 50K. I have 96K on mine and to say I have pushed my tuned Ranger tranny would be a drastic understatement! I had the dealer change mine with the filter at 57K. I have continued to push my Ranger since with no issue. I have a wireless OBD II gauge setup to monitor Engine Temp, Transmission Temp and Oil Pressure. I will be changing again at about 110K and hope to add the deeper pan for good measure.....btw, she runs just as good as day 1.
When we tow, it's pretty much "over the top". Bordering on the max weight which can be hard on a tranny. I want to do a drain/filter at 15,000 and then I'll let it go till 50,000 if I don't detect any problems with fluid degradation.
During our RV season, April-Nov we can easily put 10,000 miles on the Ranger towing. Did almost 6000 last year, and that was only because we didn't get the new camper till later in the year.
That doesn't include daily driving. Already have 3 trips planned this year that will be at least 8000, along with several weekenders.
Keeping tabs on the Ranger, to me, is critical.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Thanks. Planning on the dipstick first. I plan on doing a fluid change at around 15,000 miles (4000 miles to go) and hopefully will get the pan just prior for an install.
I tow, frequently, a 7000 lb travel trailer and am more concerned about keeping track of the fluid quality. The hottest it has got so far was right at 220 degrees (via my ScanGauge lll) but that was towing up a mountain grade this past summer. Cooled down quickly once it leveled off. Very rarely gets above 195 during daily driving.
I like to check it frequently when on the road, but almost impossible to do in campgrounds, dirt/gravel parking areas.

220 isn't any problem for the modern fluids, but early changes IMO are still a good idea. I've been doing a drain and fill via pump since 10K and will continue that schedule with a filter at 60, or before if I pull the trigger on the PPE pan. No sense doing it twice, I'll just go ahead and do a new filter while I'm in there.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
When we tow, it's pretty much "over the top". Bordering on the max weight which can be hard on a tranny. I want to do a drain/filter at 15,000 and then I'll let it go till 50,000 if I don't detect any problems with fluid degradation.
During our RV season, April-Nov we can easily put 10,000 miles on the Ranger towing. Did almost 6000 last year, and that was only because we didn't get the new camper till later in the year.
That doesn't include daily driving. Already have 3 trips planned this year that will be at least 8000, along with several weekenders.
Steve....that wasn't really directed at you. I totally agree with your over-the-top with the towing. If just a daily driver then my recommendations stand..... :wink:

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Steve....that wasn't really directed at you. I totally agree with your over-the-top with the towing. If just a daily driver then my recommendations stand..... :wink:
No problem Mark, agree and understand. If I weren't towing such a heavy load I wouldn't worry.
I've always been obsessive with the maintenance, and towing even more so.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I have a wireless OBD II gauge setup to monitor Engine Temp, Transmission Temp and Oil Pressure. I will be changing again at about 110K and hope to add the deeper pan for good measure.....btw, she runs just as good as day 1.
Mark. Off topic but what OBD guage are you using and what PID are you using to display oil pressure?. I've been using Torgue Pro and can’t find a PID for oil pressure. I know Forscan can read oil pressure, so I know it's available. Just need the PID specifics to make it work.
Thanks

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Envious of your plans!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
To my understanding the answer is yes. I would go ahead and get the PPE Pan at the same time as well since it will make servicing the transmission easy and help with keeping temperatures down under heavy load.
Sponsored