First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport Extended Cab
Occupation
Retired
My 2020 Lariet w/18" wheels have a 16" steel tire.
I formerly owned a 2006 Chevy Colorado Work Truck with 15" steel wheels and a 15" steel spare tire.
The rust on the spare was quite bad as I never used it.
I live 20 minutes outside of Buffalo, NY and the salt from winter has much to due with the rust encountered on the spare that merely was powder coated.
While my Ranger spare is quite new, would it be in my best interest to Plasti-Dip spray coat the spare (both sides) to give it some extra protection from the elements?
FYI - I will be looking for OEM non-steel (different style than I currently have) wheels to be used specifically for winter. I know they will be currently hard to find at a reasonable price, but I'll keep searching over the next year or so. Perhaps I'll get lucky and find 5 wheels so I'll have a non-steel spare.
Sponsored

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I lived up there once upon a time. Once a year maintenance on a truck spare is a must!
I considered the same spraying my 16" steelie since I have a can of plasti dip laying around.
Not that I need to like you, but curious as to how it will stick.
Let us know how it works out and take some pics.

Go Bills

OP
OP

jjk2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport Extended Cab
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for your feedback Toytec. It's still pretty cool here, but I'll plan to do this in the near future when the weather is consistently warm. Perhaps in the June timeframe.
Have a great day.

Dahctor

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your feedback Toytec. It's still pretty cool here, but I'll plan to do this in the near future when the weather is consistently warm. Perhaps in the June timeframe.
Have a great day.
You're being awful optimistic thinking it'll warm up up here in June. (I'm in Lancaster, NY)