Clicking noise at highway speeds

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
This is a head scratcher.. Yesterday while driving up Concord MA to deliver bed to step daughter, I noticed a clicking noise once I hit 65 mph. Once it drops below 65, it goes away. It sounds like it is coming from lower front door panel/kick panel. It goes like this
click
click click click
click
click click
This is basically what it sounds like, with minor changes in amounts/spacing of clicks. It doesn't sound like metal on metal, more of a hard plastic sound.
It doesn't vary with speed, load on engine, suspension load, braking, slight turning etc. I've turned off lane assist, speed control, no change.
I feel no sound vibration when I hold my hand against whatever I can reach while driving. I crawled under truck to see if anything was hitting underneath, and checked under hood. Nothing. Ideas?? Drives ne nuts. Luckily it was only 3 1/2 hour round trip. Previously, I heard nothing at highway speeds.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This is a head scratcher.. Yesterday while driving up Concord MA to deliver bed to step daughter, I noticed a clicking noise once I hit 65 mph. Once it drops below 65, it goes away. It sounds like it is coming from lower front door panel/kick panel. It goes like this
click
click click click
click
click click
This is basically what it sounds like, with minor changes in amounts/spacing of clicks. It doesn't sound like metal on metal, more of a hard plastic sound.
It doesn't vary with speed, load on engine, suspension load, braking, slight turning etc. I've turned off lane assist, speed control, no change.
I feel no sound vibration when I hold my hand against whatever I can reach while driving. I crawled under truck to see if anything was hitting underneath, and checked under hood. Nothing. Ideas?? Drives ne nuts. Luckily it was only 3 1/2 hour round trip. Previously, I heard nothing at highway speeds.
Your truck is talking to you in Morse code. ?

Tito

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Ranger, Not getting another, fuel in oil.
I just noticed the same thing this past week because I turned the radio off. ? Sounds like a light tapping. Leaned forward to the door speaker at the driver window and it seems to get a little louder. It does resemble a plastic item that is loose. For now, I just don’t lower the music volume. ? Will have to investigate when more important To-Do’s get done. 5k on XLT FX4

OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I just noticed the same thing this past week because I turned the radio off. ? Sounds like a light tapping. Leaned forward to the door speaker at the driver window and it seems to get a little louder. It does resemble a plastic item that is loose. For now, I just don’t lower the music volume. ? Will have to investigate when more important To-Do’s get done. 5k on XLT FX4
When I'm by myself, I will adjust volume up, but with my wife in truck, it's too low to not notice. This may take a while, because of the 65+ mph factor.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You didn't drop a toy soldier down the vent did ya?:)

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
Ever find out what this is? Mine started doing the same thing, maybe they just don’t like the MA roads....

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
This may be different but do you have plastic splash guards? They have been known to rattle on the Escapes.

Dochatley

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Dochatley
Jul 31, 2020
So, I’m driving down the highway today and I hear a tapping type noise. Not constant but sporadic. About every 3-7 seconds. Sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the driver door. I push, pull, put window down then up, check everything I can think of. Only noticed on Interstate, not on side streets. So I get home and start checking outside of driver door Mirror tight, check door handle and find if you lift door handle up and down ( vertically) it makes a clicking noise like I was hearing. Tried all doors and they all do it. Anyone else’s door handles do this? Not 100% sure this was the noise but sure sounds same and was a little windy today.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/interior-noise.8538/post-154892

That’s what I posted A couple of months ago. I have the same thing. It left for awhile but last week while on a trip it happened again. No constant or regular pattern to it. It’s hard to pin point origin of click. I checked seat belt and not it. My wife was in the passenger seat when it did it this time. I wish I could find it.

Last edited:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Could it be the seat frame/mechanics? Try shifting your weight left & right, car not moving and then moving. I can sometimes get a noise like that cause I am being slammed to the door at 190mph trying to get a parking spot at Costco or Golden Corral...j/k on that :LOL:

Last edited:

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Mine makes a noise that is a little hard to describe - something between a rattle and a click / tick. This also only happens above 65mph. I have the power folding mirrors, and if I fold in the mirrors the sound immediately goes away. I only hear it on the driver's side (with my wife in the truck with me, she confirms it's coming from driver's side, not passenger side at all). I assumed it was the mirror itself being buffeted in the wind. I rarely drive on the freeway, so I have not bothered to see if there is some way to tighten up the mirror.

Do you have power folding mirrors? Have you tried folding them in while it is making the sound?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine makes a noise that is a little hard to describe - something between a rattle and a click / tick. This also only happens above 65mph. I have the power folding mirrors, and if I fold in the mirrors the sound immediately goes away. I only hear it on the driver's side (with my wife in the truck with me, she confirms it's coming from driver's side, not passenger side at all). I assumed it was the mirror itself being buffeted in the wind. I rarely drive on the freeway, so I have not bothered to see if there is some way to tighten up the mirror.

Do you have power folding mirrors? Have you tried folding them in while it is making the sound?
Hi Kimball,

It might be that folding in the mirrors changed the air flow around the sides of the truck. Maybe have your wife sit in the back on the left and see if she can radar in on the location of the noise. A Mechanics stethoscope with the metal diaphragm removed makes for a very directional detection tool...pointing it at the suspect noise and then homing in using this tube can provide pretty effective pinpointing of the source of the noise.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hi Kimball,

It might be that folding in the mirrors changed the air flow around the sides of the truck. Maybe have your wife sit in the back on the left and see if she can radar in on the location of the noise. A Mechanics stethoscope with the metal diaphragm removed makes for a very directional detection tool...pointing it at the suspect noise and then homing in using this tube can provide pretty effective pinpointing of the source of the noise.
Thanks Phil, great tip!

Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I have experienced this type of clicking noise. I noticed that the noise occurs when there is traffic near/ahead of me. That makes me think it has something to do with the 'radar' that the cruise control uses. This is whether or not I have the cruise engaged. When there is no traffic around, I don't get the noise. ?

OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Still haven't found the source, Tried checking under truck and securing the wiring harness, no good, tries flexing door, checking power mirrors, mud guards, all good ideas, not fixed. Good news is, it doesn't happen as often... Damn, just jinxed myself I'm sure
Sponsored