RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
We could also start a suit regarding the fuel injector issues some of us have experienced.
I'm not quite sure what the basis of a suit would be - there appears to have been a supplier quality issue - vehicles that were affected were repaired under warranty.

The MPG "issue" is that real world MPG was exaggerated due to some shenanigans by Ford - at least that makes sense if it turned out to be true (which I don't think it was). Companies should be held accountable for those things in their control.
Sponsored

jh13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
This might be a little off topic, but has anyone experimented with Premium vs Regular fuel? I know there were the rumors of a higher power number with premium fuel, wondering if that would have any significant increase in mileage. I’m happy to be buying regular fuel again, but I’d start buying premium if it made sense.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Any increase in milage will be lower than the increased price of the fuel. Premium only makes sense economically if you need the increased power (e.g., heavy payload).

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Just completed a trip from LA to Phoenix. 19.99 mpg there on 87 and 18.7 on the way back on 91. It seemed like endless inclines there and back. My overall life average dropped from 20.9 to 20.3 by the time I got home. Pretty disappointed. Cruise control was used most of the way.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just completed a trip from LA to Phoenix. 19.99 mpg there on 87 and 18.7 on the way back on 91. It seemed like endless inclines there and back. My overall life average dropped from 20.9 to 20.3 by the time I got home. Pretty disappointed. Cruise control was used most of the way.
I've noticed that when I travel forest service roads my MPG goes WAY down - lots of slowing down and then accelerating for all the sharp corners and then going uphill a lot - it all kills the MPG. I think I get like 17 when I travel those roads. Up and down REALLY makes a HUGE difference I think.

MrEd8a

First Name
ED
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I just drove this past weekend from Miami to Islamorada 77 mile trip and avergae 26.5 mpg, super happy

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Very happy with my fuel economy. I do hit a few inclines even where I live. Still averaging over 24 mpg since I got the Ranger. 4,400 miles so far. I did notice that towing my aluminum dual jet ski trailer with 2 kayaks on it reduces the fuel economy by around 5 mpg over what I get with one kayak in the bed on the same route. Probably due to the drag induced by the stuff that far back. Normally get slightly over 26 mpg on the Gulf run with one kayak in the bed and only getting 21 mpg pulling the trailer. Didn't use the trailer tow mode. Not needed. Stays in 10th gear 90% of the time.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I've noticed that when I travel forest service roads my MPG goes WAY down - lots of slowing down and then accelerating for all the sharp corners and then going uphill a lot - it all kills the MPG. I think I get like 17 when I travel those roads. Up and down REALLY makes a HUGE difference I think.
Those forest service roads can get pretty washboarded in sections. Have you encountered that and if so, how did the Ranger handle that type of road condition. In my Jeep, my teeth felt like they were getting rattled out of my head.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those forest service roads can get pretty washboarded in sections. Have you encountered that and if so, how did the Ranger handle that type of road condition. In my Jeep, my teeth felt like they were getting rattled out of my head.
I've noticed my new Ranger is quite a bit smoother than my old one, both on the washboards and thru the potholes. Part of it may be due to a longer wheelbase, and I'm sure part is due to the smoother suspension. But overall, it is quite a bit nicer than my old Ranger.

Houston Ranger

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
I wish I could get any where near the numbers I see you guys getting. I have a 4x2 XLT crew cab. I drive like a grandpa obsessing trying to keep my rpm below 2000. I’ve never even seen 20 mpg on my dash. Hand calculating my average is between 17.5 and 18.2. My dad freakin laughs at me because his 2.7 f150 gets 19.5.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
We could also start a suit regarding the fuel injector issues some of us have experienced.
not really. There is a fix. update software. then replace injector. problem solved.

a law suit would have to involve an issue that is not resolved.....ie GM 8 speed that has has no resolution after what 6 years?

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I could get any where near the numbers I see you guys getting. I have a 4x2 XLT crew cab. I drive like a grandpa obsessing trying to keep my rpm below 2000. I’ve never even seen 20 mpg on my dash. Hand calculating my average is between 17.5 and 18.2. My dad freakin laughs at me because his 2.7 f150 gets 19.5.
not jamming pedal to floor during acceleration is only part of it. how is your breaking? do you get 10 feet from stop before breaking or are you coasting with foot off accelerator for a couple hundred feet?

if you keep it under 2K RPM, light on the pedal, and don't break hard, there is no way you are not getting well over 20 MPG

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
not jamming pedal to floor during acceleration is only part of it. how is your breaking? do you get 10 feet from stop before breaking or are you coasting with foot off accelerator for a couple hundred feet?

if you keep it under 2K RPM, light on the pedal, and don't break hard, there is no way you are not getting well over 20 MPG
I'm not sure trying to keep RPMs below 2k is actually always the right answer for mileage. Sometimes that requires more gas to maintain speed. I'd keep the instant MPG gauge up while driving to see how the engine responds to throttle input. I've learned to increase my MPG a bit by how I use the throttle by using that gauge. But I can't help flooring it now and again (which tanks it pretty fast).

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase

That's strange I drive here in WVA which is mountainous country and get a consistent 23.5 hand calculated mpg's with a SuperCrew 4X4.. Do you do a lot of city, stop and go driving or have added aggressive tires.
Sponsored