First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I discovered today that in just a couple of days time frame a squirrel managed to stuff my cabin air box with fiberglass insulation, pine needles and two rather large Norway spruce pine cones. It chewed through the cabin air filter, stuff dropped in and threw off the balance of my blower. No way a mouse dragged in two giant pine cones. I had to take down my blower and spend quite a bit of time sucking / blowing crap out of the box. The little bastard chewed on plastic inside the box but didn't seem to cause any damage that effects its operation. I put a dryer sheet folded in half on top of the new cabin air filter and behind the glove box hopefully that will hold off the critter for the night. I'll be taking some plastic off soon so I can get to the intake hole and cover it with hardware cloth.

The pellet gun is loaded the trap is coming out and I'm waging war on the on the squirrels. The red bastards are on the top of my hit list as they seem to like the pine cones the most.
Welcome to the club
KJ's Ranger | Page 2 | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com
Sponsored

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I discovered today that in just a couple of days time frame a squirrel managed to stuff my cabin air box with fiberglass insulation, pine needles and two rather large Norway spruce pine cones. It chewed through the cabin air filter, stuff dropped in and threw off the balance of my blower. No way a mouse dragged in two giant pine cones. I had to take down my blower and spend quite a bit of time sucking / blowing crap out of the box. The little bastard chewed on plastic inside the box but didn't seem to cause any damage that effects its operation. I put a dryer sheet folded in half on top of the new cabin air filter and behind the glove box hopefully that will hold off the critter for the night. I'll be taking some plastic off soon so I can get to the intake hole and cover it with hardware cloth.

The pellet gun is loaded the trap is coming out and I'm waging war on the on the squirrels. The red bastards are on the top of my hit list as they seem to like the pine cones the most.
Since my discovery, I have been checking under my hood a lot more lately. At night I have been setting a trap under the hood. I attached it to a couple pieces of scrap wood so a rat can't drag the trap away if it doesn't get a kill shot. I put my keys in a bag to remind me to pull out the trap when I drive my truck.....

IMG_1618.jpeg

lex1125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
nuthin'
Here is my implementation, for both the cabin filter intake and engine intake. It's of stainless steel mesh, cut to size with tabs that snap in place inside the various inlets.

Accessing the cabin filter intake:
20211009_145543.jpg

Openings #1 and #2:
20211009_145659.jpg

20211009_145631.jpg

On this next one, it looks curved on the bottom with a gap, but actually the mesh is flush with the bottom of the intake...deceptive angle :)
20211009_145536.jpg
This is perfect. where/what kind of mesh is this? all I see at HD is hardware cloth. thanks!

Reactions: Doc