KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Details on the bed mat.
One of the issue I wanted to cure with the bed liner was the tendency for everything to slide around. Another was that its rough on the knees.
I looked at the Ford bed mat but it wouldn't fit with the liner in there. Looked at other mats like horse stall mats and those weigh a lot. Wanted something to remove if I wanted.
I found the puzzle mats and thought that might work. Cheap, provides cushioning and should reduce things sliding around. I was thinking I would get black but received Grey. Goes well with the silver on the truck.
Got the 2 pack since one more would be needed than was in the one pack. You could get away with the 1 pack if you don't mind a gap at the edges.
20201226_150213.LARGE.jpeg

20201226_153115.LARGE.jpeg

The edges are a little rough, I had a fresh blade and took my time cutting it but still came out rough.
20201226_153941.LARGE.jpeg

20201226_165649.LARGE.jpeg

Finished. I used the edges off a piece to finish the outside. Not perfect but I'm happy with it.
20201226_170021.LARGE.jpeg

20201226_170822.LARGE.jpeg

20201226_171011.LARGE.jpeg
Added a bed light too. Nice and bright.
I can just reach it to turn it on or remove it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
One install I forgot, Sept 2020 added the Putco grill insert. Was pretty easy. Make sure you have things lined up before you stick it in place with the tape as it won't let go easily. No pics but looks like all the others without ACC. :)

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Nice job KJ, and I love the old boat.

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Nice job KJ, and I love the old boat.
Thanks!
We've had the boat since about 1994 I think, was my father-in-laws. Just had the motor rebuilt a year ago and rebuilt the dash last spring. Have replaced part of the floor over the years and replaced wood on the seats. Very low maintenance for the number of years we've had it. Getting to be time to tear it apart and fix the leaking rivets though.

NurseNeil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, SPORT
Occupation
Nurse
June 4th, 2020
Now that I've got a few other projects completed around the house, had time for the truck. Installed the engine cover Monday and tailgate letters and painted the tailpipe last night.
20200527_200455-jpg.jpg

20200603_203634-jpg.jpg

20200603_203440-jpg.jpg
About to do letters and looking to do engine cover and paint. Which paint did you use? Was it the original pipe and how hard was the letters?

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
About to do letters and looking to do engine cover and paint. Which paint did you use? Was it the original pipe and how hard was the letters?
Hi Neil,
I used Rust-oleam High Heat that I had left over from another project. It's held up so far but we'll see how it looks in the spring. I can always touch it up if needed. It was on the original exhaust, I just cleaned it up with steal wool, wiped it down with paint thinner, masked off areas that I didn't want overspray, and sprayed it.
The letters were pretty easy using the wet method. I cleaned the area, wiped down with alcohol, sprayed a soapy water mix and stuck the letters on. Squeegeed the water out when they were in place and they came out pretty good. I did have a slight wrinkle in the cross bar of the A but it came out after it was sunny the next day.

NurseNeil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, SPORT
Occupation
Nurse
Hi Neil,
I used Rust-oleam High Heat that I had left over from another project. It's held up so far but we'll see how it looks in the spring. I can always touch it up if needed. It was on the original exhaust, I just cleaned it up with steal wool, wiped it down with paint thinner, masked off areas that I didn't want overspray, and sprayed it.
The letters were pretty easy using the wet method. I cleaned the area, wiped down with alcohol, sprayed a soapy water mix and stuck the letters on. Squeegeed the water out when they were in place and they came out pretty good. I did have a slight wrinkle in the cross bar of the A but it came out after it was sunny the next day.
Thanks, waiting for warmer weather here in the Carolinas. I purchased some VHT ENGINE METALLIV DRIVE TRAIN paint and will see how it goes.????

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Hi Neil,
KJ,
I'm planning to paint my exhaust system to the muffler. Did you need to jack up the rear end to do the painting or is it accessible to paint with the tires on the ground?
Thanks.

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
KJ,
I'm planning to paint my exhaust system to the muffler. Did you need to jack up the rear end to do the painting or is it accessible to paint with the tires on the ground?
Thanks.
No need to jack it up or take anything off. I washed the exhaust down with water and a rag, scuffed it with steel wool, wiped it down with paint thinner, let it dry while taping paper to anything I didn't want painted, sprayed it, ran the engine to let it heat up some, let it dry, recoated and ran it again.
I suppose you could use a heat gun to cure the paint and dry it quicker but I worked on other things while it was running and drying.

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
March 2nd, 2023
Cleaned out the mess a squirrel left.
20230302_175252-jpg.jpg

Yesterday I saw a young squirrel running around the front yard. Today my wife saw him go under the Ranger and disappear. She went over and knocked on it but didn't see him come out. I decided to check around for damage. No signs under the hood so I took it for a short drive to possibly eliminate him if he was in there. Ran fine and no squirrel. Crawled around underneath and didn't see any signs of him. Guessing he was so small and quick that my wife never saw him come out from under the pickup. Then I thought about the cabin filter. The little bastard was in and out of there a few times I would guess. Luckily, he didn't fully chew through the filter. Spent a couple hours cleaning the leaves and debris out of the fan using a short piece of garden hose attached to the shop vac. Then spent another hour taking off the cowl cover and putting a piece of old screening over the holes into the cabin. I'll be doing a more permanent fix this weekend along with replacing the cabin filter.
20230302_175300-jpg.jpg

Used 1/4" wire mesh to fa up some covers for the cabin air intake as others have done. Used JB Weld Steel Stick to keep in in place. Be sure to clean the area with alcohol before trying to stick it to the metal.
20230304_154613.jpg

Also hung some Irish Spring under the hood as it has worked in my boat and old VW, but I don't run them with it in there.
The Irish Spring didn't work.

I used the wire mesh to keep him out of the air intake.
20230311_124544.jpg

Decided to name the squirrel Little Bastard.
This was a week later.
20230311_135235-jpg.jpg

20230311_142118-jpg.jpg

20230311_140059-jpg.jpg

20230311_143555-jpg.jpg

Wife saw him again disappear under the truck with a mouth full or leaves so I investigated further. He was nesting in my hood. Took a couple hours to pull out what I could reach with a pick, suck some out with the shop vac, and finally reverse the shop vac to blow mode and clean out the rest. I should have covered the engine with plastic first as I ended up vacuuming stuff out of the engine afterwards.

Today I used the JB Weld and wire mesh to cover the large holes in the hood. 2 sticks should be good but I only had a stick and a half. Mixed up some JB Weld I had in the cabinet but man the stick is the way to go since it dries much quicker.
20230326_130319.jpg

The smaller pieces towards the windshield I used epoxy in the corners. For the bigger pieces with bends, I used it in the corners and on the bends. Rolled the epoxy into balls and lightly pressed it in place. I pre-bent the mesh on the outside of the hood and then finagled it inside. I started towards the windshield using the larger holes to put the mesh in and slid it down and used needle nose pliers and a 90* pick to press it into place and used the pick to mash down the epoxy. paperclips worked well to hold it in place until the epoxy dried.
For the larger bent pieces, I needed to bend them a little to get them inside the hood and then formed them the best I could. Slide them out of the way, put the epoxy in place and slid the mesh into place.
20230326_125601.jpg

I did not do the holes where the hood insulation slides in as I don't think the squirrel will be able to get in there.

Edit:
Epoxy dried overnight and put the insulation back in place.
20230327_092443.jpg

Also noticed Little Bastard has been in my daughters engine compartment when I changed the valve cover gasket. Had to vacuum acorns out from all over in there.
I purchased some rodent repellant and sprayed under the hood of all our vehicles. I don't know if it will help but it smells minty fresh. Sprayed the insulation and perimeter of the engine compartment and nooks and crannies.

Tried catching the squirrel with a live trap baited with peanut butter crackers but he didn't take the bait.

I've had the truck in the garage for a few weeks and my wife's vehicle has sat out. He probably won't bother it as she is in and out most of the day while our other 2 cars tend to sit for a couple days before moving. Glad it hasn't snowed as I'd sure hear about her car sitting out.

Truck will probably stay in the garage for another month until we pull the boat out of storage.

Edit:
These damn cabin filters are hard to get. Had an order cancelled after 2 weeks and finally bought one off Amazon. Limited choices unless I wanted to wait a month to get it.

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
March 2nd, 2023
Cleaned out the mess a squirrel left…….

….Also noticed Little Bastard has been in my daughters engine compartment when I changed the valve cover gasket. Had to vacuum acorns out from all over in there.

Edit:
These damn cabin filters are hard to get. Had an order cancelled after 2 weeks and finally bought one off Amazon. Limited choices unless I wanted to wait a month to get it.
Hate those squirrels! One tried to make a home in my Passat. ?

A590AB9F-4908-4364-8713-3C903A17BFA6.jpeg

I like my Passat a lot but must confess that single hood strut gives me tailgate damper nightmares whenever I open the hood. ?

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Hate those squirrels! One tried to make a home in my Passat. ?

A590AB9F-4908-4364-8713-3C903A17BFA6.jpeg

I like my Passat a lot but must confess that single hood strut gives me tailgate damper nightmares whenever I open the hood. ?
If I remember right, the hood on the Passat was pretty light. I had a '99. Loved that car.
And glad little bastard didn’t destroy my hood insulation that bad.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
If I remember right, the hood on the Passat was pretty light. I had a '99. Loved that car.
And glad little bastard didn’t destroy my hood insulation that bad.
Yeah, that hood is super light and I fixed it up quite easily.

A40E5AE2-C590-4753-9EDB-972893B6DBE3.jpeg

That little 1.8L turbo is fun to drive - mine is the sport edition, so it has “tuned” suspension, carbon fibre look interior panels, and a tiny 1-inch “spoiler” on the trunk lid - not that “sporty” at all. ?

I almost forgot, it has paddle shifters, and isn’t that what we all look for in a basic family sedan? :wink:

Dollar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX 4x4, Focus, Mustang, F150, MC's
Occupation
Industrial Electrician