Charging system issues

OP
OP

Bdizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
I think that will fix it, as I have not dove into the (Tune) process and what actually gets altered in the programming.

I can say that the Code being generated is somewhat vague in the Troubleshooting of it.
It is not specific other than (Reprogram or Replace It)

From what I can tell is that (Error) relates to the PCM not seeing, Tire Size, Axle Ratio and Cruise Control Data from the other modules.
So, a part that programming was altered with the Tune. (Transmission Shift - Strategy)

The PCM dumped whatever it is looking for and now needs to be told (Relearned) what those parameters are.

With the help of (Google) it pops up sometime for owners who change the tire size ratio.
Some have reported if they change the tire size again (forcing a change) and then reselecting the correct tire size will correct the issue.
Basically, it forces a reset / relearn of it (Backdoor Way)
Clearing the Code will not fix this, it has lost the parameter, so you have to force it to learn it.

So, an alternate way of what they are going to do, is physically forcing a tire size change and then resetting it back to OEM (Stock) size.
This may or may not work but would be easier and cheaper avenue to try.
As with my Google search, that code appears to be related to the Tire Size input that the PCM is looking for.

Just curious, when were the Tires replaced?
Was it about (1) month ago, if so the TPMS relearn of tire position (MAY) have created this loss of information.
That is the only tie in (related) thing I see. If you don't have Forscan and (Zero) changes were altered.

Other than that, it is just an anomaly and the PCM somehow lost that input.
I wonder if I use my ford performance tuner to do the same thing, change the tire size in there and change it back to see if that fixes it if thats the same as the forscan thing too.
Just worries me to drop the 1k into it if they aren't sure if it will fix it or not
Sponsored

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I can say that it is not 100% certain it was the tune, but I have a feeling it played a part in it.

My google search also included voltage anomalies can be a cause of that code as well.
So with you having charging issues for some time, the battery being disconnected a few times and depending on how long the battery was disconnected or how low the voltage went. Something dropped data (Either the BCM or PCM) and with the PCM being tuned the OE Data was lost.

I think that this is just one of those things that cannot be fully determined the actual cause.
I have read through the posts here and if I recall in order to make changes with Forscan you have to Reflash back to stock, but since you do not use Forscan then that eliminates that factor.
But if this is true then it locks out any changes from being done as the Tune is blocking it.
The reason for flashing back to stock and then doing whatever changes with Forscan you want to do is so when the Flash back to the tune, the PCM will see the changes and register it as a new change.

Since you have not done this, then I believe that the Low Voltage being received at the PCM caused it to drop the data and my hunch is that the Charging System issues was the first link in the chain that started the issue with the code and unable to recover the data it lost.
The PCM has (KAM - Keep Alive Memory) that should hold that data, but apparently it did not.

OP
OP

Bdizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
I can say that it is not 100% certain it was the tune, but I have a feeling it played a part in it.

My google search also included voltage anomalies can be a cause of that code as well.
So with you having charging issues for some time, the battery being disconnected a few times and depending on how long the battery was disconnected or how low the voltage went. Something dropped data (Either the BCM or PCM) and with the PCM being tuned the OE Data was lost.

I think that this is just one of those things that cannot be fully determined the actual cause.
I have read through the posts here and if I recall in order to make changes with Forscan you have to Reflash back to stock, but since you do not use Forscan then that eliminates that factor.
But if this is true then it locks out any changes from being done as the Tune is blocking it.
The reason for flashing back to stock and then doing whatever changes with Forscan you want to do is so when the Flash back to the tune, the PCM will see the changes and register it as a new change.

Since you have not done this, then I believe that the Low Voltage being received at the PCM caused it to drop the data and my hunch is that the Charging System issues was the first link in the chain that started the issue with the code and unable to recover the data it lost.
The PCM has (KAM - Keep Alive Memory) that should hold that data, but apparently it did not.
So you think it is the pcm ? But from what you're saying it could be either on the pcm or bcm and they sre just taking a shot replacing one of them and hope that it fixes it as there's no way to really know 100% if thats the cause of it

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I wonder if I use my ford performance tuner to do the same thing, change the tire size in there and change it back to see if that fixes it if thats the same as the forscan thing too.
Just worries me to drop the 1k into it if they aren't sure if it will fix it or not
It may work, IDK the Ford Service manuals dance around that code, if you google that code, you will find some posts about it through other Forums and (2) things come up.
1. Tire Size Change
2. Ford Performance Tune (Flash Back to Stock)

In those posts, some have stated the Vehicle Learn Procedure needs to be performed, which is exactly what the dealer is going to do.
and others have stated the Tire Size (trick) fixes it.
I personally do not think the PCM is toast, it just needs a little nudge to help it in relearning what it is missing. What exactly is it missing? IDK

At this point though, being it is at the dealer, if it were me and it's uncertain 100% the cause. I would probably throw in the towel and let them do it.
But then again 1K is a lot of money and I would most likely have to try every everything else first.

I guess the main factor is - how does the truck drive with that code, and on the off-chance the PCM is missing the data from the BMS system, how will it affect the charging system once it has been driven around for a few days.
Will it possibly take out the Charging System?

This is a question for the guys that set up the tunes, Torie - I think?

OP
OP

Bdizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Thats what I'm on the fence of letting try it to see if it works or what. They don't want to mess with the old pcm they are worried about blanking it so they went to put a new one in and reprogram that instead. throwing down a grand for the battery and alternator already make the 2nd grand seen like a lot. Well if the code has been there for a month like they said I assume it popped up when they put the newest battery on its driven fine besides the ASS not working and losing 2 mpg ( might not be related just coincidence it's happening at teh same time), but every time I checked the battery it was reading proper volts when off and the alternator running. Torie set up the FP tune?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
So you think it is the pcm ? But from what you're saying it could be either on the pcm or bcm and they sre just taking a shot replacing one of them and hope that it fixes it as there's no way to really know 100% if thats the cause of it
What that code is telling us, is that there is a mis-match of data between the BCM and PCM.

1. Now it could be a (Wiring Issue) on the data bus between the BCM and PCM. so unable to send the data back and forth.

2. The PCM somehow lost a data parameter and is unable to learn the new data from the BCM
(2) main factors are transmitted in that data; I am sure there are others, but these (2) would tie into the data that are highly probable of what it is missing.
A. Tire Size - Changes are done in the BCM.
Note: I am only listing the Tire Size, due to Google Searches show that the code pops up when altering it.
B. The BMS - System is controlled by the BCM, it sends battery voltage information to the PCM to let it know when to activate the Voltage Regulator.

Being that you have had charging system issues, and they replaced the Alternator, Battery and BMS sensor just to get the charging system working.
I question one thing, what is the max voltage being put out by the alternator? NOW

If it is only 13.5 Volts, then the PCM is not seeing the data from the BCM, and I wonder if they are seeing 13.5 and calling it good.

So, in a nutshell since the PCM is the only thing coding, right now. We know that it has lost a data parameter. The BCM is not sending it or the PCM is not receiving it.
The programed data in the BCM is not matching the programmed data in the PCM and the PCM is not able to receive the updated data parameter from the BCM.
be it a wiring issue between the (2) or triggering the needle in the haystack in the BCM to send it.
So, a BMS reset to trigger or a Tire Size Change within the BCM to force a data communication nudge to the PCM.

The Vehicle Learn process will hopefully force this - data communication on the PCM, so if there is another hidden issue between the BCM and PCM, replacing the PCM will be a (No-Help) issue.

OP
OP

Bdizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
And there's no way to tell what it the actual issue is just a shot in the dark and hope it works. From what I saw with that code is usually the relearn or replace and wiping the memory usually fixes the code who knows if this is the same. When I tested the battery woth the truck om it was reading 14 cause my multimeter only did whole numbers but the dealership tested it multiple times and after it was sitting there for 3 days and everything was reading fine then also both the battery and alternator they said

OP
OP

Bdizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
400 for the relearn and if it gets blanked it's 1000 for a new one and that might not even fix it. Gonna get it appraised to see what it's worth might trade it in or see if I need to get it fixed first if it will affect trade in. Might get it fixed to see if it will fix the issue but not totally sure if it's worth it incase it makes some other issue pop up.

OP
OP

Bdizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
What that code is telling us, is that there is a mis-match of data between the BCM and PCM.

1. Now it could be a (Wiring Issue) on the data bus between the BCM and PCM. so unable to send the data back and forth.

2. The PCM somehow lost a data parameter and is unable to learn the new data from the BCM
(2) main factors are transmitted in that data; I am sure there are others, but these (2) would tie into the data that are highly probable of what it is missing.
A. Tire Size - Changes are done in the BCM.
Note: I am only listing the Tire Size, due to Google Searches show that the code pops up when altering it.
B. The BMS - System is controlled by the BCM, it sends battery voltage information to the PCM to let it know when to activate the Voltage Regulator.

Being that you have had charging system issues, and they replaced the Alternator, Battery and BMS sensor just to get the charging system working.
I question one thing, what is the max voltage being put out by the alternator? NOW

If it is only 13.5 Volts, then the PCM is not seeing the data from the BCM, and I wonder if they are seeing 13.5 and calling it good.

So, in a nutshell since the PCM is the only thing coding, right now. We know that it has lost a data parameter. The BCM is not sending it or the PCM is not receiving it.
The programed data in the BCM is not matching the programmed data in the PCM and the PCM is not able to receive the updated data parameter from the BCM.
be it a wiring issue between the (2) or triggering the needle in the haystack in the BCM to send it.
So, a BMS reset to trigger or a Tire Size Change within the BCM to force a data communication nudge to the PCM.

The Vehicle Learn process will hopefully force this - data communication on the PCM, so if there is another hidden issue between the BCM and PCM, replacing the PCM will be a (No-Help) issue.
Would there be any reason to not drive it in this state with that code popping up? There's no cel, no other messages when you hook it up to a code reader that pops up. Picked it up today and it drives fine just have to switch things I set (go back to Sirius and switch it over to dark mode).

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I would just monitor it, and periodically check for codes.
So they left it as is I assume?
As long as drives fine with no issues, then it is just going to be a low level code.

OP
OP

Bdizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Yeah they just left the charging system fault message went away. It shifted rough a few times but I thinl that was due to them flashing the pcm so the transmission has to learn my driving again but it's always hard shifted into 4th and 5th. yeah I can Check for codes with my fp tuner. I'm thinking I might just keep it ans drive it if it won't casue issues the trade in wasn't as much as I thought they'd say.
But thank you for all your help!
And everyone else too!
Sponsored