Chalky film on black rubber window trim.

WheelMon

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Website
autio.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
@Autio Travel App by Kevin Costner
Has anyone else noticed a thick white, oxidative film on their black rubber window trim? I'm parked outside at all time but do have shade 5-days a week. I keep truck clean and UV protected.

I tried several products to clean the oxidation off and found only Goof-Off to remove the film and not just gloss over it. After applying I washed the trim and then treated with 303 Protectant.
Happy to have like-new trim again!

PXL_20230122_190419883.jpg
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Has anyone else noticed a thick white, oxidative film on their black rubber window trim? I'm parked outside at all time but do have shade 5-days a week. I keep truck clean and UV protected.

I tried several products to clean the oxidation off and found only Goof-Off to remove the film and not just gloss over it. After applying I washed the trim and then treated with 303 Protectant.

The suns UV rays really does a number on the rubber. I've always used the 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the plastic and rubber. Now that I use the 303 Graphene it works just as well as it too has great UV protection.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed this just this week on mine. Only on the Passenger side. This is due to the orientation of the truck when it's parked, I expect. Thanks for the tip on how to get it off.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

Goof off works.

So will some tar removers - I've had good luck with gyeon tar - you just have to be careful because some are literally eating the rubber...

I use the gyeon tar on a micro fiber and toss it when I'm done with it.

Be careful around paint with some of these, never let them dry on anything.

And when you've finished making them fresh, make sure you protect them, and everytime after you wash them. Just a quick wipe down with some 303 aerospace or your favorite tire and rubber protectant will work.

caveat - some tire and rubber protectants will run when they get wet [who the hell makes a product for a car that doesn't stay on when wet is beyond me.] and they will make the side of your vehicle look icky after a light rain. My favorite tire dressing is jeacar tire and rubber, I used it on window trim ONCE. It is amazing on tires, gives them a smodge over matte level of gloss.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red

I had this problem on both sides. Ford replaced them under warranty. I found out from another forum member that this is an issue that Ford is aware of.