Cape Hatteras National Seashore

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Headed down tomorrow morning! Just purchased/printed my 10 day permit. My daughters and I are avid beachcombers, so we will probably drive on several different spots between Avon and Ocracoke. Will update with pics soon!!!

I've never driven on the beach before.....looking forward to it. I'm geared up with everything I should (but hopefully won't) need...permit, jack, shovel, tow strap, gauges, etc.
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Headed down tomorrow morning! Just purchased/printed my 10 day permit. My daughters and I are avid beachcombers, so we will probably drive on several different spots between Avon and Ocracoke. Will update with pics soon!!!

I've never driven on the beach before.....looking forward to it. I'm geared up with everything I should (but hopefully won't) need...permit, jack, shovel, tow strap, gauges, etc.
Air pump...

OP
OP
BobMac

BobMac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy
I got thing to do tomorrow but may try to get down there Sunday. Looks like a great weekend for a beach trip?

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Enjoying this thread. Nags Head was a regular destination during the early 2000s, biking and business. A new bridge has been built since.

Comfort Inn South Oceanfront was in rough shape but cheap. Lots of beach erosion right under the oceanside of the hotel - scary. I see it's still standing so they must have gotten everything under control and fixed it up.

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enjoying this thread. Nags Head was a regular destination during the early 2000s, biking and business. A new bridge has been built since.

Comfort Inn South Oceanfront was in rough shape but cheap. Lots of beach erosion right under the oceanside of the hotel - scary. I see it's still standing so they must have gotten everything under control and fixed it up.

I've been going down almost annually for the last 15-16 years. We usually go in September and stay in Waves but since we have to go in August this year when the house prices are wayyyyy higher I got a condo in Avon this time.

Then after a week in Avon, we're going to check out Atlantic Beach NC for 4 nights.

Looking forward to a nice, long trip. My kids are hitting the age where I'm starting to realize I've only got a couple more years of these trips....

alan0614

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Lariat, 2017 GT350, 2016 Subaru Legacy
Occupation
Product and Training Manager
Love the Outer Banks, finally drove up to Corolla to see the horses last summer.

9B612BB0-C72D-4C70-97A5-B5B1BCDA1A9E.jpeg

245C7984-8AFD-4039-8E1E-D53169ADBAE7.jpeg

5FB7789E-C121-413A-9CC0-D27E342EF4A3.jpeg

CC262AB1-290F-43E0-B056-92771EE43AD4.jpeg

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I've been going down almost annually for the last 15-16 years. We usually go in September and stay in Waves but since we have to go in August this year when the house prices are wayyyyy higher I got a condo in Avon this time.

Then after a week in Avon, we're going to check out Atlantic Beach NC for 4 nights.

Looking forward to a nice, long trip. My kids are hitting the age where I'm starting to realize I've only got a couple more years of these trips....
Best thing about Atlantic Beach these days to me is Fort Macon. Too many rich folks bought houses near the circle/boardwalk area sight unseen and then bitched about all the local bars being too noisy at night with bands and the circle having the amusement area that people were noisy at. They bitched, complained and maybe even bought the businesses out or something because all of made it fun to live at the Circle of Atlantic Beach is gone. I've moved away from there now.

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best thing about Atlantic Beach these days to me is Fort Macon. Too many rich folks bought houses near the circle/boardwalk area sight unseen and then bitched about all the local bars being too noisy at night with bands and the circle having the amusement area that people were noisy at. They bitched, complained and maybe even bought the businesses out or something because all of made it fun to live at the Circle of Atlantic Beach is gone. I've moved away from there now.
Looking forward to Ft. Macon. My kids are history nerds and our condo is very close to there.

Quick question....I'm here now in OBX. I notice that no one else is airing down before they drive on and driving straight off without airing up when they leave. Is under 20 psi necessary? We just got off the beach and are airing back up. Sand had tracks in it to drive in....didn't seem unusually soft...am I good to stay at maybe 25ish psi and not air up and down?

Edit: I think I answered my own question. Drove on the next stretch of Beach at 25 psi....no issues at all....felt just as good as 18 and firm enough to drive down actual roads. Gonna stick with 25ish psi for now.

20220815_122642.jpg

20220815_132445.jpg

20220815_132551.jpg

Last edited:

Foodieguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat (El Trucke)
Occupation
IT Guy and Former International Athlete
This is an inspirational thread for me, one of the things I wanna do with my Ranger is head down to South Padre Island National Seashore. 60 miles of beach you can drive on. I'm a little scared to try it on my own but am learning and planning.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I haven't been down for years, but used to go down many times a year. Great fun. Carry some essentials like a tow strap, camp shovel, etc.

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is an inspirational thread for me, one of the things I wanna do with my Ranger is head down to South Padre Island National Seashore. 60 miles of beach you can drive on. I'm a little scared to try it on my own but am learning and planning.
First time for me today....go for it!!

As others have mentioned, get a tow strap, pump, shovel, boards, low pressure gouges and enjoy! Don't overthink it like I've done! It's a blast!

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm dreaming of camping at OBX...anyone done that with a square drop?
I have too many toys and too little time as is....so I don't have one, but there are numerous campgrounds and parks to camp in down here. I'm at Cape Point right now...by the Hatteras lighthouse
..and it's a park with campsites. I think about camping every time I come down....just don't have the camper!!
Sponsored