Sandstorm/Windstorm/Snowstorm at the Great Sand Dunes National Park

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
@Nopalito, @UnregistredHypercam2, and I decided we wanted to go camping. We were going to go to Boulder, CO but the weather forecast called for 9-13" of snow. Knowing that snow this time of year is *very* heavy, we decided to change our destination. Looking south, the weather appeared to be better. We set our sights on the Great Sand Dunes National Park and headed out on Friday (5/20).

It was a seriously fun night, but cooooold. Our steak was seasoned with sand, but was still good.

Anyways, on to the pictures.

Below is my Ranger setup. I am impressed with the RTT setup. I slept taco'd in a down comforter and I was perfectly warm.
0Iktbvj1wCbUExkoGf1jMS1bQ=w1278-h959-no?authuser=0.jpg

Here is a wide angle of our camp for the night.
BlYFOfCjqgmGGf3viZ4SSM4QA=w1278-h959-no?authuser=0.jpg

@Nopalito and @UnregistredHypercam2 picked up these swags from @RoadBoss (we're pretty sure) and they performed flawlessly. Here is Richard (Nopalito) peeking out.
5zUWUETAmxNHP4agLURffos9Q=w1278-h959-no?authuser=0.jpg

On the way out of the park on Saturday morning, we saw this really cool tree and I wanted a picture. Some of the trees in the park remind me more of Africa than Colorado.
dISxoEBmIi3XcoxY00Qduan_I1P2sw=s1278-no?authuser=0.jpg

Here is a picture of the snow kissed dunes.
C3f1SJP_xJjSPyqI5lkPSHktA=w1278-h959-no?authuser=0.jpg

We stopped in Alamosa, CO for a quick lunch before the 4 hour drive home. Gotta snag that urban jungle shot.
ame5NrLa2yUCjetTMLrYM5wLw=w1278-h959-no?authuser=0.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Colo_Ranger

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Above is a fun water crossing. There are (I believe) four water crossings. We only hit the one, since it was 8pm when we arrived at camp and we were all too cold to care about doing much else when we woke up and packed up camp.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Looks like an awesome time!!

OP
OP
Colo_Ranger

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like an awesome time!!
It was a great time. I know I am excited to get back out and camp some more. The weather only served to remind me that I need to be better prepared/ get some better gear (really clothing).

I was just there 2 weeks ago. Super nice weather, minus the wind while on the dunes. Glad I missed this storm haha.

Also, cool to see others with swag tents. Looking forward to use mine this summer.
I was there last summer and it was beautiful. Not a breeze to speak of, but we only stayed for 30 minutes. Are you from the area?

slayermd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I was there last summer and it was beautiful. Not a breeze to speak of, but we only stayed for 30 minutes. Are you from the area?
I'm up in the Denver metro area. Going to the dunes was part of a little camping road trip along with seeing the Royal Gorge. Never made it to the top of the dunes, so I plan on getting back there later this summer.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
@Nopalito, @UnregistredHypercam2, and I decided we wanted to go camping. We were going to go to Boulder, CO but the weather forecast called for 9-13" of snow. Knowing that snow this time of year is *very* heavy, we decided to change our destination. Looking south, the weather appeared to be better. We set our sights on the Great Sand Dunes National Park and headed out on Friday (5/20).

It was a seriously fun night, but cooooold. Our steak was seasoned with sand, but was still good.

Below is my Ranger setup. I am impressed with the RTT setup. I slept taco'd in a down comforter and I was perfectly warm.

@Nopalito and @UnregistredHypercam2 picked up these swags from @RoadBoss (we're pretty sure) and they performed flawlessly. Here is Richard (Nopalito) peeking out.

On the way out of the park on Saturday morning, we saw this really cool tree and I wanted a picture. Some of the trees in the park remind me more of Africa than Colorado.

We stopped in Alamosa, CO for a quick lunch before the 4 hour drive home. Gotta snag that urban jungle shot.
Beautiful pictures.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase

How did the swags hold up?

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Great! I bought a pair just for that type of weather. Increasingly I'm doing more off-season camping and I'm hoping the swags fit the bill. @Nopalito and @UnregistredHypercam2 , what brand did you go with?

tjaoutfitters.com is the website, run by a local Ranger guy, Travis @RoadBoss

Excellent quality, he's also running a memorial day sale right now if you're interesting in picking one up.
Sponsored