Cape Hatteras National Seashore

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
personally i avoid the OBX/cape hatteras- too many people. I go to cap e lookout instead every few years. The only thing about that place is that the cabins they rent are off the grid so bring bug spray and lots of it. Also, once on the beach there you can't get off until your ferry gets back so that means bring what you need for your outing be it 1 day or 5. But the good things are miles and miles and miles of open beaches with nobody in site and just peace. been there in my tacoma and my xterra. haven't had my 21 ranger out there yet but hoping next year.. I've always aired down to 17psi there. never had an issue but if you do, a tow is hours way and 1000s of dollars. So be prepared!
Took my kids to Cape Lookout for a day this past summer. We spent a week in OBX and then drove down and spent another 4 nights in Atlantic Beach. Cape Lookout was very nice....took the Davis Ferry....perfect beach for peace and quiet and excellent beach combing. But like you said, definitely off the grid. But definitely worth a day trip for anyone who loves the beach.

I'd like to work my way south...check out all the beach towns and islands. Have been on Hatteras, Ocracoke, Portsmouth, Cape Lookout (south), Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle.

Topsail/Surf City is probably the next area I'd check out....we liked Atlantic Beach but not as much as OBX and not enough to go back to before checking out other spots. We're headed back to OBX in 2023. The northern part is busy and can be chaotic in the summer, but it's MUCH quieter if you go south and stay below Oregon Inlet. We've never stayed north of Waves. Plenty of ramps and wide open beaches down south.
Sponsored