Cap less fueling

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
We don’t seem to really have any nozzles that lock around here other than the full serve stations. I’ve only been to one of those with the Ranger but it worked just fine.
Sponsored

boulderroller

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat, 1973 Triumph TR6
Occupation
Semi-retired
I have a 2020 Lariat and rarely can pump gas using the lock feature on all pump handles. It's been in the shop 3 times for this so far. 1st time they checked the vent line, second time they put in a new filler neck. 3rd time they had it for 2 days and couldn't do anything because the FORD computer system was down. Waiting for the Service Department to call when their computer starts talking to the FORD computer. I think my warranty will be up by the time I hear from them. Frustrating!

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Pro tip - Once you have finished pumping, push the flap on the gas pump which will turn the pump off. Then you can squeeze the handle again and allow it to drain before you remove it.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Not all pumps have that lever - so just leave the hose in the neck for 10 to 15 seconds and let it drain- this eliminates fuel dripping on the paint

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Not all pumps have that lever - so just leave the hose in the neck for 10 to 15 seconds and let it drain- this eliminates fuel dripping on the paint
This instruction is also on the little sticker stuck to the inside of the fuel door when you open it up. The sticker states to wait 5 seconds.

fuel door.jpg

jtzako

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
I've had it happen sometimes, but not often. Its just a matter of finding the right position for the nozzle. In some cases all the way to the 'spring' that coils at the top, but others it is just part way.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I have a question for all of you that are having issues.

Do the pumps in your state have the vapor recovery system on the nozzles?

If so, I can see people having issues. Big metro areas such as St Louis had these systems for quite a while and they were always a pain in the rear to fill any vehicle. They especially sucked when trying to file up a motorcycle since you can't stick the nozzle in far enough o depress the switch.

Here is a photo of a vapor recovery system.

Gas-Vapor-Recovery-Nozzle.jpeg

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman

If so, I can see people having issues. Big metro areas such as St Louis had these systems for quite a while and they were always a pain in the rear to fill any vehicle. They especially sucked when trying to file up a motorcycle since you can't stick the nozzle in far enough o depress the switch.

Never saw that in Michigan.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Missouri forced those nozzle on us in the Metro areas such as St Louis and Kansas City years ago. But the state has since did away with the requirement to use them.

P-38Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
On my one year old Ranger I have to use nearly all my male strength to push it in to lock it properly. I rather do that, that unscrew a cap every time.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer

They used to have them in Massachusetts but I haven't seen one in probably 20 years

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I'm not saying you are wrong, but I have never seen a pump that doesn't have a safety shut off built into the mechanism to store the nozzle. The old days it was a lever that you had to manually move, modern pumps have a flap in the hood where the nozzle goes under and the nozzle flips it up automatically.

I know it's law in Canada to have it, and I assumed it was in USA as well, but we all know about assumption, lol. Anyway, As I'm pumping, I flick the shut off with my finger while the fuel as at full flow, and it shuts the pump off. In my head I'm thinking I'm getting the most volume advantage out of the flow draining from the hose, while saving meager pennies, lol.

Here's an image (incredibly hard to find online) of someone using the safety shut-off at the pump.

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/gas-station-pump-tiktok-spill/

A7Bcl0k.png
Sponsored