A word of caution on fueling nozzles

JRRangerAZ

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
The C.A.R.B.-compliant nozzles supplied with NATO-style fuel cans can wreck your filler pipe. I found out the hard way. The owner’s manual does state not to put anything in the filler neck except for a pump nozzle or the funnel supplied by Ford. My bad for not reading that section and assuming that a “compliant” nozzle would be compatible with a major manufacture’s filler.

The compliant nozzle is spring-loaded closed. Pressing back the nozzle’s outer sleeve opens the valve and fuel flows out notches on the sides. The problem is those notches are exactly where the actuators to unlock the inner fuel flap are located in the filler neck. The actuators fall into the notches and effectively lock the nozzle into the filler neck. Removing the nozzle required an “enthusiastic” yank. This managed to break off one of the actuators. Fortunately the broken piece did not drop into the tank and was retrieved with a pair of long-nosed pliers.

I’ve replaced the C.A.R.B.-compliant nozzles with simple flexible-spout types, and since their tips are too narrow to open the inner valve, they’ll be used in conjunction with the funnel.

P1020113.JPG

P1020110.JPG

P1020107.JPG
Sponsored