First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger and 2013 Volkswagen passat
Occupation
Owner and operator Xplicit wraps
I tried searching but couldn't find anything posted. Does any one else have this issue when fueling? The damn nozzles dont stay locked when filling up. And constantly have to reset the handle, it resets as if the tank is full and its annoying. It happens literally everywhere I'm filling up.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I've had that problem (repeatably) on one pump. If it happens literally every time on every pump you're either not putting the nozzle in fully or there's a problem with your truck. It is not a general issue.

Last edited:

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No issue with both my vehicles. I love the capless set up.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I tried searching but couldn't find anything posted. Does any one else have this issue when fueling? The damn nozzles dont stay locked when filling up. And constantly have to reset the handle, it resets as if the tank is full and its annoying. It happens literally everywhere I'm filling up.
You might check the vent hose...it sounds like it is kinked some place between the top of the tank and the filler neck

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering'
Ford Motor Co. Retired

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The only time I've had this problem is when I didn't have the nozzle all the way pushed in,besides that never had any issues. This was one feature I really missed with my Tacoma as I got use to the cap less feature on my past F 150's.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Not on our Ranger, but yes on our 2007 Jeep Wrangler a few years back. There was an issue with the venting system and the dealer fixed the issue.

If it's a repeatable problem, at multiple different gas pumps, then you can bet it's a problem with the venting system on your truck.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Next time that happens try using the fuel funnel that is packed in the storage compartment where the jack is. It would be interesting to see if the pump still has a problem.

024.JPG

Last edited:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I've had that issue but it seems to be more related to certain pumps than it is to the truck. In fact, I usually fill up at the same stations and I've noticed other people having the same problem with capped fuel tank setups on the same pumps that I have the issue on. I just always assumed it was a pump nozzle issue and just try to avoid those pumps.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
No issue.
Only dislike it one cannot remove nozzle without getting flap wet with gas. Normally can remove nozzle in most vehicles with no drop.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
No issue.
Only dislike it one cannot remove nozzle without getting flap wet with gas. Normally can remove nozzle in most vehicles with no drop.
I've never had that happen. But I always wait 20 or so seconds before pulling the nozzle out.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've never had that happen. But I always wait 20 or so seconds before pulling the nozzle out.
Same here and I always juggle the handle a few times as I'm pulling it out so it doesn't drip.

Damn that didn't sound right...lol:LOL:

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Will try.
Another thing to remember.......
1. Fold mirrors when parking. Switch to open so they flip out on start.
2. Auto start off every___ time.
3. Shake handle......

OP
OP
Shadowranger

Shadowranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger and 2013 Volkswagen passat
Occupation
Owner and operator Xplicit wraps
I've had that problem (repeatably) on one pump. If it happens literally every time on every pump you're either not putting the nozzle in fully or there's a problem with your truck. It is not a general issue.
I am definitely positively putting it in right, but will never start in. Every pump. And cant lock the handle. Ever. I think it's time to visit the service dep

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Never had an issue

SoCalT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCrew
I am definitely positively putting it in right, but will never start in. Every pump. And cant lock the handle. Ever. I think it's time to visit the service dep
I see OP is located in California and I'm wondering if this is a California issue. Do other states have the fuel vapor recovery systems on their gas pump nozzles like California?

I struggle with this same issue also but have noticed the recovery vacuum will draw the nozzle in and seat after pumping for 15-20 seconds when I hold it in place. Once the nozzle seats I can let go of the handle and it will continue to pump until full. Does not work every time but I seem to be getting better at it.
Sponsored