Ordered or Dealer Stock?

Ordered or Dealer Stock

• Total voters

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Not too far in the future, dealers will have 20+ Rangers on the lots. Will be easy to find one speced out as desired. 4WD FX packages are already on many trucks at dealers. They tend to be hyper accesorised. Run around $46K I got the Lariat packaged to the point where the only thing I don't have is 4WD and the packages that go with that. I was fortunate to find a truck in the SE that had exactly what I wanted and more importantly nothing I paid for that I didn't want.
Do you suppose that after they get 20 rangers on each of the 3100 Ford lots in North America, that they will then build a few for those of us who have customer orders?
Assuming they can figure out the content.
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
You have to remember that Ford is in the business of making money. The marketing people say what happens and dealers want to have trucks to sell. More money is made on the higher priced vehicles. So, what would you do? It is kind of like the new thing that everyone is desperate to get, and everyone that has one is telling that "they are loving it". This truck has caused anxiety all over the country. People are frustrated, angry, fit to be committed. It is a panic of epic proportions. All over a bucket of bolts. ROTFLOL

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There's absolutely no way I could and would wait 4 months for a vehicle to be made unless it was some sort of specialty vehicle.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
the $750 preorder rebate that those received is kind of useless at this point who hasn't received their truck. It's already depreciated more than that at this point just waiting to be built. those thinking about ordering a truck at this point I wouldn't suggest it. you can probably find exactly or close enough to what your looking for from dealer stock or in transit and get a good enough deal versus ordering. since they aren't moving that fast off lots just by looking at their inventory.

ExChief45

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chrysler Concorde
Occupation
Gas System Operations - Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I for 1 am glad I ordered my truck (Because it actually came in) because there are no dealer stock models that have what I wanted. At least none that I could find. The finance guy at my dealer said they have received 7 Rangers for dealer stock and only sold 1. He said they they don't seem to optioned to what people want. For instance all but one with the sport package had the upgraded 18" wheels that I don't care for. The 1 with the sport wheels was a color I don't want. Ordering isn't for everyone but settling for something I don't want isn't for me.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
You have to remember that Ford is in the business of making money. The marketing people say what happens and dealers want to have trucks to sell. More money is made on the higher priced vehicles. So, what would you do? It is kind of like the new thing that everyone is desperate to get, and everyone that has one is telling that "they are loving it". This truck has caused anxiety all over the country. People are frustrated, angry, fit to be committed. It is a panic of epic proportions. All over a bucket of bolts. ROTFLOL
I was raised a little different I guess. What would I do?
Once given, I would keep my word and not risk my reputation over thirty pieces of silver,
Like you, I assume Ford Marketing is ROTFLOL at somebody else's misery.
Its not the wait, its the contempt.

Last edited:

AnimeRanger87

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 XLT 2X4 Reg cab. 2019 XLT Supercrew 4x4, 2000 XLT Supercab 2x4
Occupation
Production associates with Honda
Vehicle Showcase
I went and saw the Supercrew and Supercab concepts at the 2018 Detroit auto show and I immediately feel in love with the Supercrew. I ordered mine Sept 7th 2018 with everything I wanted and I wait patiently for 4 months before it finally arrived January 17th. I love it and it has exceeded my expectations and everything I have dreamt about.:):):) First photo is when I first got it from the dealer and the other is my truck now.

20190118_125531.jpg

20190313_120601.jpg

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do you suppose that after they get 20 rangers on each of the 3100 Ford lots in North America, that they will then build a few for those of us who have customer orders?
Assuming they can figure out the content.
I hope so. Seems to me Ford is doing a "Balancing Act" They want to get dealers stock and strike while the iron is hot...Pre-sales? Well they already know they are sold so why not concentrate on stocking dealers? At least That's my take on it.... Having ordered a 2016 Tacoma. I feel your pain.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I hope so. Seems to me Ford is doing a "Balancing Act" They want to get dealers stock and strike while the iron is hot...Pre-sales? Well they already know they are sold so why not concentrate on stocking dealers? At least That's my take on it.... Having ordered a 2016 Tacoma. I feel your pain.
I think part of the frustration (aside from the glaring tracker issues) is that the communication was that if you did an ROVP order, your order would be scheduled the following week - so relatively quickly. That doesn't seem to have happened in most cases.

To me, it seems like a sale is a sale - it shouldn't really matter if is dealer stock or a custom order. In some ways, the custom order is better because it gets the truck out in the world IMMEDIATELY rather than having it sit on a dealer lot for a period of time. But I'm sure there is more to this whole thing than any of us know about.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
There sends to be some confusion over the difference between scheduling and producing...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
There sends to be some confusion over the difference between scheduling and producing...
I cannot speak for others, but I'm keenly aware of the two. My ROVP order was approved on 12/27 but it was not scheduled until late January (for build the week of 3/11). It took almost a month for them to schedule it. I understand there were the holidays, but I expected it to get scheduled at the first of the year, which would have put it being built back in February. Maybe it was a good thing for me as there were a lot of issues with the early February builds it seems like.

As I've said before, a big part of this is about managing expectations. I think Ford has done an extremely poor job of that. If you tell people their job will be scheduled the week after it is approved, you should do that - if that won't happen, then you should tell them a longer time frame. In cases like this, it should be an "under promise, over deliver" situation. Unfortunately, in many cases, it was the opposite.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
the $750 preorder rebate that those received is kind of useless at this point who hasn't received their truck. It's already depreciated more than that at this point just waiting to be built. those thinking about ordering a truck at this point I wouldn't suggest it. you can probably find exactly or close enough to what your looking for from dealer stock or in transit and get a good enough deal versus ordering. since they aren't moving that fast off lots just by looking at their inventory.
I think I get your "point" ;-)

Ed Anderson

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, Lariat
I ordered my Ranger in Nov 2018 and I'm still waiting. For reasons no one can explain to me, my truck was built (went through production), went to shipping, and then went back to the body shop. I can only assume it got damaged somehow, or there was a fault found. I'm now seeing trucks showing up on dealer lots with the same specs I ordered. I decided to change my order to one of the trucks that went straight to the dealer.

In the end, pre-ordering was just an exercise in frustration. I was told that I was getting my Ranger based on when my order was received. The problem is that my order was placed behind all the dealers that ordered Rangers ahead of me. So much for customer service. :)

My truck is supposed to be here (Seattle, WA) this coming Saturday. I can't wait. It's not the truck I pre-ordered, but will be close enough. I'm getting the White Platinum with pretty much every option you can get.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Focus ST 2018 F150 Lariat
I ordered my Ranger in Nov 2018 and I'm still waiting. For reasons no one can explain to me, my truck was built (went through production), went to shipping, and then went back to the body shop. I can only assume it got damaged somehow, or there was a fault found.
I can only assume that your truck had a bed liner. One of the most misused phrases on this site is "body shop" when referring to "body company", which is what is displayed when the truck is out having the bed liner installed. You will never see "body shop" on the tracker. And you will also never see anything on the tracker regarding trucks being repaired. And if the repair is done correctly, the buyer wil never even know it had one.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my Ranger in Nov 2018 and I'm still waiting. For reasons no one can explain to me, my truck was built (went through production), went to shipping, and then went back to the body shop. I can only assume it got damaged somehow, or there was a fault found. I'm now seeing trucks showing up on dealer lots with the same specs I ordered. I decided to change my order to one of the trucks that went straight to the dealer.

In the end, pre-ordering was just an exercise in frustration. I was told that I was getting my Ranger based on when my order was received. The problem is that my order was placed behind all the dealers that ordered Rangers ahead of me. So much for customer service. :)

My truck is supposed to be here (Seattle, WA) this coming Saturday. I can't wait. It's not the truck I pre-ordered, but will be close enough. I'm getting the White Platinum with pretty much every option you can get.
Smart move. I wouldn't want a new truck that went into the body shop.
Sponsored