Buy a Ranger now while having Ranger on order (Crazy?)

rugburn

First Name
Debbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XL
Ok, I got myself in a predicament... lol.

We decided in December that we wanted a Ranger. We went to Dealership #1 to test drive one on the lot as we were still shopping other makes/models such as the Colorado/Canyon. Found Dealership #2 would give us $2k off MSRP for ordering the Ranger. No one else could match that deal, so we ordered a STX-Special Ed pkg SCAB with added blind spot/back up sensors. (Practically an XLT at that point). We put a $500 refundable deposit on a credit card.

In the meantime, we are short a vehicle. My husband used to have company car, but now has a job 3hrs away and he took my car. I now share a car with my 17 yr old. Its doable, but it means occasional Ubers/ waiting/ walking up to a mile, trying to juggle both our schedules.

The truck we have on on order still doesn't have a VIN yet. Originally it was expected to be due end of March. Now I wonder if it could be later.

Tonight, Dealership #1 texts me. They have a '21 XLT Sport (hasn't even gone through PDI). Almost exactly like the truck I ordered at Dealership #2, except it is a SCREW with a few extra features than I originally wanted. He's willing to sell $1k under MSRP and free tint, with no additional dealer accessories..

It's crazy, but I'm actually thinking about buying this SCREW from Dealership #1.
#1... We might actually prefer the SCREW over the SCAB on day-to-day business. We thought we wanted a SCAB for a 6ft bed for my husband's "imaginary kayak" (We are moving to an area where he wants to buy a kayak, lol). But there's something to be said about the additional use of interior cargo space in a SCREW.
#2... It's a nicer truck. (next trim level up) Not overly nicer than the STX-Special Ed pkg, but with a few extra features we would enjoy.
#3... There's no telling when the SCAB truck we ordered will ever get built. But January has already sucked walking/waiting for rides/etc... and I'm not looking forward to 3+ more months of this.
#4... With used car prices being what they are... what if I just bought the SCREW now? Knowing that if I change my mind later I could simply trade-in the SCREW for the SCAB when it eventually arrives.

I guess #4 is my biggest consideration. I'm intrigued at the thought that I could spend the next few months really test driving the SCREW. And yet, still have an SCAB on order if I change my mind. The cost difference between the two is substantial ($4k between SCAB with discount VS a SCREW in a higher trim level) but the more expensive truck is still in our budget.

Am I way out of my mind for wanting to buy one now (and keep my order too!) ... just in case?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

NurseNeil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, SPORT
Occupation
Nurse
Screw xlt sport 4x4 owner here. A bird in hand is worth more than 2 in the bush.

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX Supercew & Ranger XLT SuperCrew
You should have had a custom order rebate for the ordered truck. That helps out. Not sure if you have any other rebates, Ford exclusive cash? Of course finance retail cash is only 500.00 in my area at least. Could be a lot better down the road. I can't tell you what way to go but I had 2 19 rangers. One scab and one screw. My new order for 22 I went scab. Order in November and did just get production date. March 7th. Now a bunch of screw orders got the same production date and they just ordered being of Jan. So if you got rebates and locked in, maybe consider switching order to screw and demand priority 10 code. If they have allocation, should get production pretty quick. If you take the lot one, I would suggest getting better price if your losing any good rebates. Won't hurt dealer because they will eventually have your ordered scab and market it way up. It will be a 22. I would consider calling Ford customer service and asking them about production date. You would need a four digit code on price dora. Start with a letter and 3 numbers. Then the zip code of the dealer. Not saying dealer is holding back but I can see a dealer trying to dump a 21 on someone and knowing 22 is coming soon. Good luck with whatever you do. You enjoy either choice

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
In nearly every case, you lose when you buy, and you lose when you sell. The dealer has to make a profit, and it is coming from your bank account. Two purchases and a sale are almost certainly going to be more expensive than a single purchase. In normal times, I would try to rent or lease a car to cover the gap until your ordered truck arrives, but renting is now quite expensive too. Perhaps the SCab dealer has some resources to help you bridge the gap.

SCab vs. SCrew is a significant decision. I donā€™t think the SCab will be significantly better at hauling any kayak of reasonable size, but the SCrew is a lot better for hauling adult human beings.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
As for the due in March and no Vin yet, I think that is still doable if it's due in late March. My Ranger was built in Oct and on the dealer lot in just under 4 weeks.

For the kayak, you could get a kayak mount the high mount bed rack or roof rack mounting options to put the kayak on. I know there are tonneau covers with integrated rails (Embark) for mounting bed racks on them that you could look into, but very pricy. Then the bed length doesn't matter as much and for a kayak the high bed racks are likely better than in the bed carrying the kayak. Here is another option for the Ranger from Ford, the picture is with a Maverick so it would work for the 5' bed of the SCrew.

I prefer the roof rack mounting due to less impact on tonneau cover options. Looking a little more I find this option interesting since it can make loading a securing a little easier, but at a cost of course.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I have a crew cab and have no issues hauling my 12 foot kayak in the bed. For short trips I just drop the tailgate and strap it down. For longer trips I use an extender bar from etrailer. The extender is also great for hauling lumber and such. The extra foot that the longer bed brings won't help with loads longer than 6 feet anyway so I haven't missed it, especially considering how much more useful the backseat is on the crew for my kids and dogs and hauling friends or gear.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
It seems like buying a SCREW now then trading it for a SCAB in a couple months will be a losing situation. If lucky, you will get the final purchase price for the SCREW, but you will lose any additional fees like TTL. Then you'll have to pay those fees on the SCAB. With the difference in price from SCREW to SCAB, at best you will break out even. So essentially, you will be buying the SCAB STX SE for the price of the SCREW XLT.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Welcome to the forum Debbie, and congratulations on your order. I'll just echo what has already been said, you'll lose money if you buy now to trade in a few months. Delaers have ways of helping you lose that money. If you decide to get the Crew Cab I'd suggest canceling the Super Cab order. Good luck on your decision.

OP
OP

rugburn

First Name
Debbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XL
Welp, I said SCREW it and picked up the ā€˜21 Ranger XLT sport today. It was still in our original budget and more than likely we will appreciate a SCREW more than a SCAB. My husband gets to take it this weekend and I get my car back!

Not completely ready to ask for our deposit on the SCREW on order just yet. But I guess thereā€™s no hurry, either. Iā€™d say 80% chance we stick with the SCREW I got today.

Iā€™m the car buyer of the family, and itā€™s a weird world paying at/near MSRP with limited choices. Iā€™ll miss out on the $2k order rebate on the SCAB, but $1k off the SCREW (that I can have today) is still an ok deal for us. And in the end, we can be very happy with this truck!

thanks All for your thoughts!

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Welp, I said SCREW it and picked up the ā€˜21 Ranger XLT sport today. It was still in our original budget and more than likely we will appreciate a SCREW more than a SCAB. My husband gets to take it this weekend and I get my car back!

Not completely ready to ask for our deposit on the SCREW on order just yet. But I guess thereā€™s no hurry, either. Iā€™d say 80% chance we stick with the SCREW I got today.

Iā€™m the car buyer of the family, and itā€™s a weird world paying at/near MSRP with limited choices. Iā€™ll miss out on the $2k order rebate on the SCAB, but $1k off the SCREW (that I can have today) is still an ok deal for us. And in the end, we can be very happy with this truck!

thanks All for your thoughts!
congrats on the new ranger! yall will enjoy it! be sure to show us some pictures of the new ride.
Sponsored