Bug out box

Y2Dip84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
OK,
So if this pandemic has taught me anything it’s that I am underprepared for an emergency situation that may require me to leave my home for a short time. That said, I was looking to buy an undercover swingcase (aka bug out case) for the bed and fill it essential items. What would be your recommendation for both everyday and emergency items travel with? I am not looking to go full on prepper mode but have piece of mind. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
OK,
So if this pandemic has taught me anything it’s that I am underprepared for an emergency situation that may require me to leave my home for a short time. That said, I was looking to buy an undercover swingcase (aka bug out case) for the bed and fill it essential items. What would be your recommendation for both everyday and emergency items travel with? I am not looking to go full on prepper mode but have piece of mind. Any ideas? Thanks.
forscan cable, spare tailgate damper, taco bell coupons. i cant think of anything else.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I have an action packer with a collapsible fishing pole and tackle, knives, pliers, cord, spam (I live in Hawaii) and other canned goods, flint and steel, more knives, first aid kit, flashlights, batteries, butane stove... it’s actually more of my, “I have a weekend for myself so I’m disappearing for the weekend”.

Deleted member 1634

My truck isn't necessarily setup to "bug out", since I'm not worried about having to do that. I'm more worried about being somewhere, especially somewhere remote, and getting stuck there, so that's the way my truck is organized. But it could give you ideas at least I suppose.

Coveralls, extra blankets, and snowshoes in the winter only, metal shovel, ax/hatchet, saw, tow straps, water, water filter, dehydrated food, backpacking cook stove, headlamp, flashlights, first aid kit, jump pack w/ included air compressor, tool kit, multi-tool, come-along winch, straps, bungies, Paracord, maps, collapsible walking stick, extra hats, gloves, NOAA weather radio, PLB, Garmin Satellite Communicator, etc.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Let the mission determine the load out. Where you live and what you have to deal with will be what dictates your box.

For starters....
Every vehicle should have a beefy first aid pack - not a "kit" but a pack. I've been the first person on at least 7 major accidents, and two bar fights. No I'm not a police, fireman, or EMT - just lucky I guess. After that look to have an air gauge, jumper cables, basic tools that fit your vehicle. You don't need a whole socket set when all your vehicle has are 8mm, 10mm, 14mm, nuts and bolts. Just hose will do but get two or three of each - especially that 10mm bastard. Phillips and Flat Screw Drivers and Pliers. Maybe a hammer - less and less on vehicles can be fixed with a hammer these days but you never know how f'd you can get until it's time to bust out the hammer.

When I lived in Houston / Hurricane Country.....
I kept what I thought was a pretty tight set up until I interviewed with a company that was involved in Tech / Aerospace. Their operations continued day and night regardless of Hurricanes. If I got the job (I didn't and thank God) I was going to be expected to have a 4x4 truck with at least 8" of clearance and at least 32" tires, a chain saw, rope, tow chains, MRE's - all sorts of stuff. And that wasn't to do my job. That was just to GET TO THE JOB. No thanks. I'll use that t get out of town any day, but not to leave my fam behind while I drive INTO town.

In Arizona Now.....
Still changing and evolving with the new truck, but mostly just the shape of the container, less of the contents.
  • Air Pump
  • Tow Rope/ Snatch Strap
  • Shovel / Entrenchment Tool
  • Hatchet / Small hand saw for limbs
  • Extra Valve stem guts and caps
  • Water Filtration and Tablets
  • Space Blankets
  • SOL Bivvy
  • Compass
  • Paracord
  • SHARPIE!
  • Small container to boil water in / metal cup
  • Indian Blankets
  • Cheap Costco flat of water or two depending on how long I'm out.
  • HAM RADIO - More than one. One in the vehicle as a 50w base and then one on me and one for the fam if we separate. (someone goes looking for supplies / water)
  • Personal Defensive Material as allowed by your Free State or Communist Overlords. Looking at you Peoples Republik of Kaliforniastan and China-rado. I plan on having access to something that will stop a bear attack or disable a modern vehicle. Sure a 44 Magnum will crack the block on a 350 Chevy, but most of your more modern vehicles are far less armored and can be disabled strategically with a lot less. Tires, radiators, gas tanks, alternators, all fairly weak links.

I'm moving into more smaller and modular tubs that stack neatly in the bed for the things I don't carry every day. The rest goes under the seat or behind the seat. And not nearly enough fits there so I'm always looking at a truck box or something for the bed.

Until then this is what my home and mobile preps are going in. I think I have maybe 20 to 30 of these. https://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=864&ProductCategory=314&section=1

I like these because they:
  • Are small enough that they are hard to make "too heavy."
    • Wife and Kids can help you load and unload.
  • Clear so you don't have to open a bunch to find something.
  • Lids latch so they don't get sucked off at 90mph.
  • Stack sturdy. One tub deep is below the bed rails. Two tubs deep is just above the bed rails.
  • Reasonably rain proof.
  • Can be re-purposed in an emergency to collect water or tinder.
  • Fit under the truck if you need to catch a precious leaking fluid like antifreeze
OH! And the one other thing. GAS GAS GAS and a Ball-Valve / Jiggle-Valve Siphon. If your truck gets 20mph you have about a 375 yo 400 mile range, but when you spend a lot of time idling on the freeway or bouncing down some deer trail to avoid the masses you drop to like 10 to 14 MPG real quick. Maybe even less than that. Not to mention you are loaded up with extra weight now. All of the sudden your 375 becomes less than 200. That's barely enough to get you out of a lot of disasters.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Y2Dip84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Let the mission determine the load out. Where you live and what you have to deal with will be what dictates your box.

For starters....
Every vehicle should have a beefy first aid pack - not a "kit" but a pack. I've been the first person on at least 7 major accidents, and two bar fights. No I'm not a police, fireman, or EMT - just lucky I guess. After that look to have an air gauge, jumper cables, basic tools that fit your vehicle. You don't need a whole socket set when all your vehicle has are 8mm, 10mm, 14mm, nuts and bolts. Just hose will do but get two or three of each - especially that 10mm bastard. Phillips and Flat Screw Drivers and Pliers. Maybe a hammer - less and less on vehicles can be fixed with a hammer these days but you never know how f'd you can get until it's time to bust out the hammer.

When I lived in Houston / Hurricane Country.....
I kept what I thought was a pretty tight set up until I interviewed with a company that was involved in Tech / Aerospace. Their operations continued day and night regardless of Hurricanes. If I got the job (I didn't and thank God) I was going to be expected to have a 4x4 truck with at least 8" of clearance and at least 32" tires, a chain saw, rope, tow chains, MRE's - all sorts of stuff. And that wasn't to do my job. That was just to GET TO THE JOB. No thanks. I'll use that t get out of town any day, but not to leave my fam behind while I drive INTO town.

In Arizona Now.....
Still changing and evolving with the new truck, but mostly just the shape of the container, less of the contents.
  • Air Pump
  • Tow Rope/ Snatch Strap
  • Shovel / Entrenchment Tool
  • Hatchet / Small hand saw for limbs
  • Extra Valve stem guts and caps
  • Water Filtration and Tablets
  • Space Blankets
  • SOL Bivvy
  • Compass
  • Paracord
  • SHARPIE!
  • Small container to boil water in / metal cup
  • Indian Blankets
  • Cheap Costco flat of water or two depending on how long I'm out.
  • HAM RADIO - More than one. One in the vehicle as a 50w base and then one on me and one for the fam if we separate. (someone goes looking for supplies / water)
  • Personal Defensive Material as allowed by your Free State or Communist Overlords. Looking at you Peoples Republik of Kaliforniastan and China-rado. I plan on having access to something that will stop a bear attack or disable a modern vehicle. Sure a 44 Magnum will crack the block on a 350 Chevy, but most of your more modern vehicles are far less armored and can be disabled strategically with a lot less. Tires, radiators, gas tanks, alternators, all fairly weak links.

I'm moving into more smaller and modular tubs that stack neatly in the bed for the things I don't carry every day. The rest goes under the seat or behind the seat. And not nearly enough fits there so I'm always looking at a truck box or something for the bed.

Until then this is what my home and mobile preps are going in. I think I have maybe 20 to 30 of these. https://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=864&ProductCategory=314&section=1

I like these because they:
  • Are small enough that they are hard to make "too heavy."
    • Wife and Kids can help you load and unload.
  • Clear so you don't have to open a bunch to find something.
  • Lids latch so they don't get sucked off at 90mph.
  • Stack sturdy. One tub deep is below the bed rails. Two tubs deep is just above the bed rails.
  • Reasonably rain proof.
  • Can be re-purposed in an emergency to collect water or tinder.
  • Fit under the truck if you need to catch a precious leaking fluid like antifreeze
OH! And the one other thing. GAS GAS GAS and a Ball-Valve / Jiggle-Valve Siphon. If your truck gets 20mph you have about a 375 yo 400 mile range, but when you spend a lot of time idling on the freeway or bouncing down some deer trail to avoid the masses you drop to like 10 to 14 MPG real quick. Maybe even less than that. Not to mention you are loaded up with extra weight now. All of the sudden your 375 becomes less than 200. That's barely enough to get you out of a lot of disasters.
This, all of this. Thank you!

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
I hid about 100$ cash in a tiny magnetic lockable keybox inside of my truck.

I made my own first aid kit and bring that everywhere I go, but my kit may be a little more elaborate than most people would need or have the training for. But I suggest having supplies to address hemorrhage, a cpr barrier, definitely aspirin for an emergency antippatelet, tape and compressed gauze.

I don't recommend tourniquets without a solid understanding of neurovascular damage, but since some people carry them anyways: avoid the elastic shock cord ones like the plague and always have a way to mark the time on them.

Box cutter is always good, multitool, recovery strap, tire inflator, emergency lighting, a compressed calorie brick ration, water, a change of clothes, a handheld frs/gmrs radio, and a few Bic lighters.

My edc bag doesn't live in the truck, but I keep personal defense items in that.

Rescue Ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 1998 Ranger supercab 4.0 4X4 xlt
Totes and containers have their place and are very useful I still prefer having a backpack with my stuff in it that way if you are having a significant emotional event say like" OH dear the truck is on Fire" you can reach in and grab this bag and your life will suck a lot less then if you have to rummage around looking for your stuff. What you carry and how you carry depends on your life style, skill level, and income. My stuff tends to come Wally World with some decent quality sprinkled in if someone steal the bag I'm not out of a fortune. I have a wide variety of tools and Bug out bag items in both of my vehicles. Remember that unless you have the right paper "self defense tools" that you can have in your state may not be allowed in another. However Wasp and "Pest" spray that shoots 25 feet is legal in all 50 and can shut down the optical receptors.

Prophet136

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrical Systems Engineer
Aside from some Molle panels inside the vehicle and some other storage stuff, I use a Plano XXL sportman cargo box that I use to carry seasonal and additional gear. Works great and it’s durable. I use a three space divider inside the box for added organization.

PLANO MOLDING 1719-00 Utility Trunk, 30 In.L x 14-1/4 In.W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195F5L5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_7ZMYFbA2WY62M

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
106 qt plano sportsman trunks can be had for $30. Unless you are storing delicate equipment Im still scratching my head why people spend $200 on a container to store their ratchet straps and cooking gear.

For $120 you can have a bed or roof rack that is loaded with an overkill amount of items.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
Aside from some Molle panels inside the vehicle and some other storage stuff, I use a Plano XXL sportman cargo box that I use to carry seasonal and additional gear. Works great and it’s durable. I use a three space divider inside the box for added organization.

PLANO MOLDING 1719-00 Utility Trunk, 30 In.L x 14-1/4 In.W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195F5L5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_7ZMYFbA2WY62M
I love the concept of Molle Panels and wished I had them inside my Fusion trunk before I sold it. But not in the ranger because:
1. It eats up rear leg room. I'm pretty tall and claiming that space any way.
2. Nothing says "Free Guns" in this vehicle like tactical stuff in plain view - even if you don't have any guns.

When I step out of the ranger anywhere, I like it to look as bone stock and empty as possible on the inside. Obviously if I'm out wheeling around the desert, things are a wee bit different. But this is why I thought Ford should have extended the cab by 6" behind the rear seat and mounted the battery inside the cab. More storage space and longer battery life. Driving a truck is a lot like wearing lingere. Everyone can see your business and there's not a lot of room to hide a secret.

Prophet136

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrical Systems Engineer
I love the concept of Molle Panels and wished I had them inside my Fusion trunk before I sold it. But not in the ranger because:
1. It eats up rear leg room. I'm pretty tall and claiming that space any way.
2. Nothing says "Free Guns" in this vehicle like tactical stuff in plain view - even if you don't have any guns.

When I step out of the ranger anywhere, I like it to look as bone stock and empty as possible on the inside. Obviously if I'm out wheeling around the desert, things are a wee bit different. But this is why I thought Ford should have extended the cab by 6" behind the rear seat and mounted the battery inside the cab. More storage space and longer battery life. Driving a truck is a lot like wearing lingere. Everyone can see your business and there's not a lot of room to hide a secret.
This is a concern of mine as well but I use non-permanent Molle panels for just that reason. I use the 5.11 tactical hex grid seat system. It’s a soft molle panel that is removable. This also blends in nicely to my black interior if I remove the packs off the grid.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
This is a concern of mine as well but I use non-permanent Molle panels for just that reason. I use the 5.11 tactical hex grid seat system. It’s a soft molle panel that is removable. This also blends in nicely to my black interior if I remove the packs off the grid.
I'm a Medium Stone Interior.... Tactical Tan goes pretty well with it but because it is light, all interior stuff shows up easier - even through tinted windows.
Sponsored