port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I did the XPEL Paint Protection Film instead of a deflector. It was expensive but, to me, worth every penny. No chips, self healing and I get to see all my beautiful Saber paint.
Sponsored

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
I am considering installing the AVS Bugflector II and was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in mpg since the install.
I haven't noticed any depreciable difference in MPG after they installed mine which is very similar to the AVS BII

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I did the XPEL Paint Protection Film instead of a deflector. It was expensive but, to me, worth every penny. No chips, self healing and I get to see all my beautiful Saber paint.
I have done Expel on motorcycles before and been very happy with it. If you don't mind my asking - how much of your truck did you get covered? Did you include things like lights and bumper? Did you do the work yourself or have someone do the work?

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I have done Expel on motorcycles before and been very happy with it. If you don't mind my asking - how much of your truck did you get covered? Did you include things like lights and bumper? Did you do the work yourself or have someone do the work?
I had someone do it because it is the type of project I would easily screw up. He did the hood, headlights, fascia, front of fenders, A-pillars and front roof, under the door handles and the rockers. Didn't do the bumper because I've got a Warn Ascent.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I tried this, but is definitely hard to get it just right. Takes quite a bit of effort to

Instructions say to avoid roller based car washes. I avoid those anyway. Touchless should be fine.
For anyone who has run into a rubbing issue with the AVS Bugflector II, maybe you just need to adjust the hood latch a bit? It's entirely possible the hood is closing too tightly with the added thickness of the bugflector, and a minor adjustment will allow it to clear again:
I tried to adjust the hood latch on my 2020 Truck but the grill has a different configuration that the the 2019 in the Video. I can't find any place to reach through the grill on mine to pull on the six tabs and unlock them. So does anyone know how to release the six tabs on this type of grill?

Bugflector 3.jpg

Bugflector 5.jpg

Last edited:

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I tried to adjust the hood latch on my 2020 Truck but the grill has a different configuration that the the 2019 in the Video. I can't find any place to reach through the grill on mine to pull on the six tabs and unlock them. So does anyone know how to release the six tabs on this type of grill?

Bugflector 3.jpg

Bugflector 5.jpg
If you grab the large black plastic top plate and pull toward you and pull up near the front of it at the same time they should pop out on their own. No need to reach through. Just be careful and move slowly.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you grab the large black plastic top plate and pull toward you and pull up near the front of it at the same time they should pop out on their own. No need to reach through. Just be careful and move slowly.
Thanks. You are exactly right and I learned that through the process. A Ford mechanic at my dealership also showed me how to slip a flathead screwdriver under the front leading edge of the shroud from place to place and pop it out. I will be doing a post shortly on my experience with this endeavor.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks. You are exactly right and I learned that through the process. A Ford mechanic at my dealership also showed me how to slip a flathead screwdriver under the front leading edge of the shroud from place to place and pop it out. I will be doing a post shortly on my experience with this endeavor.
Just did a post on the finished job and here is the link in case you would like to look at it: What did you do to your Ranger today? | Page 480 | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com
Regards,
Paul

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I haven't attached the Bumpers to the AVS Bugflector II yet. If I did, would attach them to the Deflector itself to protect the paint.

I can't imagine how the Deflector could touch the paint unless enough pressure was put on it to break it or shatter it. I tried to press the Deflector in by hand and couldn't get it near the paint. It doesn't seem reasonable that the force from the wind while traveling could push the Deflector against the paint? Has anyone had any issues or experience with this or any idea why the Bumpers are really needed?

Thanks for your input.

Bumpers.jpg

Bugflector 4.jpg

Last edited:

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I haven't attached the Bumpers to the AVS Bugflector II yet. If I did, would attach them to the Deflector itself to protect the paint.

I can't imagine how the Deflector could touch the paint unless enough pressure was put on it to break it or shatter it. I tried to press the Deflector in by hand and couldn't get it near the paint. It doesn't seem reasonable that the force from the wind while traveling could push the Deflector against the paint? Has anyone had any issues or experience with this or any idea why the Bumpers are really needed?

Thanks for your input.

View attachment 82769

View attachment 82771

View attachment 82769
I put mine on the deflector. Doubt it will ever flex that much and they'll probably all fall off after a while, but I put them on anyway.

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
Because the deflectors, like the stick on matte AVS, dont show rock chips like the paint does. Get enough of those in the paint and the front of the truck looks awful.

Also, seeing how thats an area that see’s alot of rocks, the deflector wont rust like the leading edge of the hood will.
The hood is aluminum, so it won’t rust but it will be harder to get dings from rocks out.

McDeuce

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Well … I was not thinking about a bug deflector. But now thinking hard about it. 1300 miles , a chip and a dent ! I am shocked, what ever hit it made the scratch and left a dent as well. I don’t think paint protective film would have helped in this case.

77DE8F5E-4940-4120-B647-E6B34610E63E.jpeg

Last edited:

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
Installed the AVS Bugflector II. Easy install with no drilling or sticking anything to the hood. This is the first time I’ve ever used one so hoping that it works to help protect my hood and windshield. I also have the WeatherTech wind deflectors on the windows, which I’ve had on just about every car.

Edit: BTW the kit comes with little clear bumpers that AVS says to stick on your hood in case the deflector hits some seriously heavy wind. I stuck them to the back of the deflector instead.

6D67B3E2-1559-40E7-B80D-C0D5D7195EC6.jpeg
Sponsored