Bug Deflector: Yes or No?

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I’ve never had a bug deflector but I’m considering getting one because of rock chips to the front of my hood and I don’t like bug guts on the windshield. Are they worth putting on? What kind should I look at? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
I think the AVS models are the best looking, IMO. What I don't like about the deflectors is that you're either required to stick 3M to the paint on the front or drill into your hood. I think what I'm going to do is get some clear bra put on the front 3-4" of the hood and get the 3M AVS. Or just get the clear bra on the 3-4" of the hood and put nothing on LOL

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
I got the AVS one as well because of the chips I noticed. Idk if it gets more chips because of the rake so it may not be as bad once I get my lift on. I think they look the best and the most sturdy. Some of the bug deflectors look a little whimpy and cheap

Edit: I got the matte black looking one

Last edited:

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I installed the AVS Bugflector II - it does not require any drilling etc. 100% reversible if you decide you don't want it. I *definitely* recommend adding one, though - they are relatively inexpensive, pretty easy to install, and the front of the hood will quickly become chipped up from road grit/rocks. When I wash the truck, I frequently find impact sites on the deflector that saved the hood from a rock chip.

I did a video all about how to install it:

Good luck!

Walkman

First Name
Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT, wife’s car 2017 Edge Titanium
Occupation
Retired
I’ve never had a bug deflector but I’m considering getting one because of rock chips to the front of my hood and I don’t like bug guts on the windshield. Are they worth putting on? What kind should I look at? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Ordered smoke AVS aeroskin from Advance Auto. Sticks to hood with tape. With 25% off code less than $40 & free shipping. Best price out there.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I had a smoke plastic type bug deflector installed on my Explorer.
Yes, I guess it prevented the front of the hood from getting chipped.
And, it deflected bugs from the center of the windshield to the upper part of the windshield.
And, it created enough turbulence so the windshield washers misted, rather than squirted.
And, I think such turbulence really did interfere with the efficiency of the wipers in rain.
After several years, overall, I didn't like it, and didn't get one for my Ranger.
Just my opinion.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I had one on an older Ranger, briefly. It was smoked grey - I thought it looked okay. One trip to the coin-op car wash ended that accessory. The car wash hose got hooked on the end of it while I was trying to swing the overhead boom around and I snapped the driver’s side tip off the deflector.

1617046483350.png

Last edited:

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
I had a smoke plastic type bug deflector installed on my Explorer.
Yes, I guess it prevented the front of the hood from getting chipped.
And, it deflected bugs from the center of the windshield to the upper part of the windshield.
And, it created enough turbulence so the windshield washers misted, rather than squirted.
And, I think such turbulence really did interfere with the efficiency of the wipers in rain.
After several years, overall, I didn't like it, and didn't get one for my Ranger.
Just my opinion.
The AVS Aero is pretty much just a stuck on protection piece, I will say it’s a very good low profile solution. I haven’t had any issues with mine deflecting stuff negatively, it just stops the road debris from damaging the trailing edge of the hood.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Why protect the paint by covering it. Like putting floor mats on floor mats.
Because the deflectors, like the stick on matte AVS, dont show rock chips like the paint does. Get enough of those in the paint and the front of the truck looks awful.

Also, seeing how thats an area that see’s alot of rocks, the deflector wont rust like the leading edge of the hood will.

Rock76

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the AVS Bugflector II. It was an easy install, pop out a few fasteners, cruse 10-15 times, attach deflector, realize it's not straight, curse 10-15 more times, re-attach in the correct position, and done.

Couldn't be more happier with the AVS! I highly recommend adding a deflector, it's saved my hood from being chipped several times.

IMG_20210105_162255.jpg

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I installed the AVS Bugflector II - it does not require any drilling etc. 100% reversible if you decide you don't want it. I *definitely* recommend adding one, though - they are relatively inexpensive, pretty easy to install, and the front of the hood will quickly become chipped up from road grit/rocks. When I wash the truck, I frequently find impact sites on the deflector that saved the hood from a rock chip.

I did a video all about how to install it:

Good luck!
Kimball,
Your video was very impressive...thorough, detailed and professional. I followed it closely and was successful. Your idea of using a blanket spread over the engine compartment prevented me from losing several fasteners! I referred to your video in my post about installing the Bugflector II:
What did you do to your Ranger today? | Page 445 | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com
Thanks.
Sponsored