Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Tow mode and down shifting from 1/2 mile before the stop sign? ;)
LOL...something like that...to me, it's about vehicle application...my wife used to go through tires and brakes unusually fast...so I went for a ride with her riding shotgun....yaa...honey, you can't drive your Explorer like it's MINI Cooper...ditch the late braking and going around turns on two wheels ?

Stoptech slotted rotor BBK sized for 911, ceramic pads, braided SS lines...all that worked fantastically for my purpose built MINI Cooper S...Dragon slayer...

Unlike my MINI, I drive my Ranger very, very conservatively...eyes far down the road to anticipate traffic light and mindless drivers...minimal brake pressure with as much distance as I can use...working on getting to 100K miles without replacing pad/rotors...?
Sponsored

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
LOL...something like that...to me, it's about vehicle application...my wife used to go through tires and brakes unusually fast...so I went for a ride with her riding shotgun....yaa...honey, you can't drive your Explorer like it's MINI Cooper...ditch the late braking and going around turns on two wheels ?

Stoptech slotted rotor BBK sized for 911, ceramic pads, braided SS lines...all that worked fantastically for my purpose built MINI Cooper S...Dragon slayer...

Unlike my MINI, I drive my Ranger very, very conservatively...eyes far down the road to anticipate traffic light and mindless drivers...minimal brake pressure with as much distance as I can use...working on getting to 100K miles without replacing pad/rotors...?
That's CRAZY talk!!!!

I have to wear this truck out, so I can justify a new one! lol If I was was supposed to slow down 1/4 mile away, there would be slow down signs before every stop sign. I drive it like a garbage truck, full throttle, full brake, full throttle, full brake! You probably have one of those other time thieves too AKA tailgate damper! lol

I kid of course ;)

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
That's CRAZY talk!!!!

I have to wear this truck out, so I can justify a new one! lol If I was was supposed to slow down 1/4 mile away, there would be slow down signs before every stop sign. I drive it like a garbage truck, full throttle, full brake, full throttle, full brake! You probably have one of those other time thieves too AKA tailgate damper! lol

I kid of course ;)
I've seen NYWM in action...they drive our Mack garbage trucks like go karts ?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I've already clocked 40K miles on my 2020 Lariat and looks like rotors are due for replacement. Any word on original parts from Ford or there are some good aftermarket options? Not looking for top performance, mostly daily driver.
If you think the rotors need to be replaced due to thickness and not because of being warped be aware that Ford may have been oh so kind to give us rotors that need to be replaced when the brake pads need replacement. It is not the first time Manufacturers have done this. If you look at the pads I am willing to ber they still look great!!! Just some food for thought before you start spending money

OP
OP

Robik

First Name
Andriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Network technician
If you think the rotors need to be replaced due to thickness and not because of being warped be aware that Ford may have been oh so kind to give us rotors that need to be replaced when the brake pads need replacement. It is not the first time Manufacturers have done this. If you look at the pads I am willing to ber they still look great!!! Just some food for thought before you start spending money
Rotor thickness and pads look good, but getting vibrations at braking, so most likely warped

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I have always done well with NAPA Ultra Premium rotors. They don't cost an arm and a leg, although a little more than their standard rotors, but they're the only ones my wife can't kill in a year. I use NAPA ceramic pads, very little dust and good feel. I hate the Ranger's brakes, it's the only thing I don't like about it, they're too grabby, and will probably replace them before they wear out.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rotor thickness and pads look good, but getting vibrations at braking, so most likely warped
Suggestions to you. First make sure the rotors can be turned(not all can), second if they can try to give yourself more stopping distance when possible. Also let the truck engine brake itself and that will help. I'm at 45,000 moles and I don't have any issues

NC_LFX4

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4; 2006 Jeep Wrangler X
Vehicle Showcase
Keep us posted here!
Well, that was a huge pain in the ass but I got them all swapped out. Drove halfway across the country and through the Appalachians on them the day after finishing up. Found out through the process that it’s significantly different than changing my TJ pads, rotors, and calipers ever were. Pro tip, make sure to have one of those caliper piston turning tools for the rear and a dual piston compressor for the front. Once I found out and got those, it was smooth sailing.

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Can anyone confirm if just a standard clockwise piston turning tool is required? Some fords I’ve encountered required both a clockwise and counterclockwise drive assembly to do both the drives and passengers side.
thanks

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Can anyone confirm if just a standard clockwise piston turning tool is required? Some fords I’ve encountered required both a clockwise and counterclockwise drive assembly to do both the drives and passengers side.
thanks
Not too sure. That said if needed there is this tool that will cover you and its inexpensive!!

Astro 78618 Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Set - 18 Piece https://a.co/d/btj7cCr

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Not too sure. That said if needed there is this tool that will cover you and its inexpensive!!

Astro 78618 Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool Set - 18 Piece https://a.co/d/btj7cCr
Well for anyone attempting to service their rear brakes on the ranger you will need a caliper wind back piston retractor tool that has both a right and left hand thread. The drivers side piston must be turned in counter clockwise and the passengers side is clockwise. Make sure to use the alignment mark on the caliper body to index the slots in the piston so that the pin on the back of the inner side pad fits into the piston. Torque slider pin bolts to 22ft/lbs

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well for anyone attempting to service their rear brakes on the ranger you will need a wind back retractor tool that had both a right and left hand thread. The drivers side piston must be turned in counter clockwise and the passengers side is clockwise. Make sure to use the alignment mark on the caliper body to index the slots in the piston so that the pin on the back of the inner side pad fits into the piston. Torque slider pin bolts to 22ft/lbs
The tool I have listed in the other post will do both Clockwise and Counter Clockwise rotation for piston retracting. I know because I have said tool. I have used it a few times as well and it works greatly.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I upgraded my rotors from brake performance. Went with slotted rotors which helps with cooling and lower brake dust. Helps stop better with the bigger tires as well..
Slotted rotors do none of that. Slots produce more pad dust and they do not aid in cooling.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
FYI I was at our quick change counter the other day an a guy wanted brakes for his 2017 explorer. They weren't in stock an none were available from a dealer nearby. If it's like that for the ranger plan ahead an order.
Sponsored