Bike Rack & Tonneau Covers

LarryJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger, 1997 BMW Z3, 2010 VW Tiguan
Hi - Just waiting for my 2019 to come in. It should be this week. Then I'll be retiring my 2004 Ranger XLT 4X4. Now I need to figure out how I am going to handle my bikes. I want to put the most waterproof bed cover on that I can, but I'ld like to be able to mount my bicycles on top of the cover. I've seen two systems that have rails that will accept Thule or Yakima mount attachments but both of them are retractable bed covers and I hate to give up box space on a truck that short. I was hoping I could find, or modify a folding cover like Backflip? Does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen a modification with a diamondback cover and on the F150 Forum it looked like someone may have used a Backflip? I currently use a Thule gated to haul bikes but that will not work with a cover and it would screw up the really crazy backup camera and I don't want to do that. Thx
Sponsored

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Hi - Just waiting for my 2019 to come in. It should be this week. Then I'll be retiring my 2004 Ranger XLT 4X4. Now I need to figure out how I am going to handle my bikes. I want to put the most waterproof bed cover on that I can, but I'ld like to be able to mount my bicycles on top of the cover. I've seen two systems that have rails that will accept Thule or Yakima mount attachments but both of them are retractable bed covers and I hate to give up box space on a truck that short. I was hoping I could find, or modify a folding cover like Backflip? Does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen a modification with a diamondback cover and on the F150 Forum it looked like someone may have used a Backflip? I currently use a Thule gated to haul bikes but that will not work with a cover and it would screw up the really crazy backup camera and I don't want to do that. Thx
I like a hitch mounted rack. I also liked these Ford racks when I had them. Might be compatible with a cover. I put mine right behind the cab mounted on the rim of the bed. Might be able to do that and have the bikes ride on top of the closed tonneau cover

Yakima BlockHead Bike Fork Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012SA4I2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6tcICb29RRY8E

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
B4DD47A5-7AC7-4B02-A8B7-673016172069.png
Peragon will have theirs out any day for our Ranger. It leaves enough room on the bed rail to mount some Yakima tracks. You can see that displayed in the following photo. Note that Peragon does not sell the tracks and cross bars. You will need to purchase something similar to the ones I linked then buy compatible cross bars.

Daedalus9042

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I actually really like my tailgate pad:

It does block the rear camera though :frown:

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I have the Yakima Gatekeeper and will be modding it to not block the camera. I also found that you can pretty easily fit bikes in the bed, my big bike is 6.5' end-to-end and fits fine with a couple tie downs.

I ride a lot and also build trail and haul tools so I don't like the idea of having to fuss around with racks, rails, covers, bars, slats, etc. every time I want to use the bed. It's a truck! Just put stuff in the back.

OP
OP

LarryJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B4DD47A5-7AC7-4B02-A8B7-673016172069.png
Peragon will have theirs out any day for our Ranger. It leaves enough room on the bed rail to mount some Yakima tracks. You can see that displayed in the following photo. Note that Peragon does not sell the tracks and cross bars. You will need to purchase something similar to the ones I linked then buy compatible cross bars.
Thanks looks interesting. Do you know if the original Ford Rails can be replaced with any that have tracks in? That would seem like a solution?

OP
OP

LarryJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks looks interesting. Do you know if the original Ford Rails can be replaced with any that have tracks in? That would seem like a solution?

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Diamondback Covers. You can mount virtually anything you want to them. Bike racks, tents, racks, you name it. They should be out soon, they are down to some final prototypes. Apparently the Ranger is a tough fit.

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Machine & Tool Designer- Ford Motor Comapny
Vehicle Showcase
I have a One-Up hitch rack on my 2015 F150 (for sale soon) and when my ranger comes in, i'm going back to thru axle fork mount in the bed, then.....a nice color matched cap when they're available.
I want my mountain bikes out of sight of thieves! lol... and idiots driving and texting, and road salt and grime too. :sunglasses:

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Magnetic, 2015 BMW 435i GCM
Two thumbs up re: hitch-mount bike racks. Even better get one that swings out so you can open the bed door.

Just installed the BakFlip F1 part# BAK-772332 for 2019 Ranger Crewcab 5.1’ bed. It took a couple of hours and everything fit perfectly. The installation was straightforward, with the addition of an extra step to configure a supplied bulkhead filler assembly which is used to fill the gap between the top of the forward bed wall and the bottom of the tonneau/rail system. My Ranger had the factory spray-in liner, not the bed inserts (which require some drilling/modification).

This tonneau is rated for 400lbs and is better and cheaper than a Ford factory Ranger hard tonneau (reputedly a lesser BakFlip).

So far so good, will report back with leakage info after the next heavy rain. I suspect that some water will enter through the gaps on the sides of the bed door, but that's a Ranger problem not a BakFlip issue.

If you hurry its on sale direct from Bak Industries for 10% off - $927

1st observation: Interior sound levels are reduced, there’s much less road and exhaust noise leaking in from the rear.

36C5D774-97BC-42B8-8DBF-649BF476DB7F.jpeg

Last edited:

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Two thumbs up re: hitch-mount bike racks. Even better get one that swings out so you can open the bed door.

Just installed the BakFlip F1 part# BAK-772332 for 2019 Ranger Crewcab 5.1’ bed. It took a couple of hours and everything fit perfectly. The installation was straightforward, with the addition of an extra step to configure a supplied bulkhead filler assembly which is used to fill the gap between the top of the forward bed wall and the bottom of the tonneau/rail system. My Ranger had the factory spray-in liner, not the bed inserts (which require some drilling/modification).

This tonneau is rated for 400lbs and is better and cheaper than a Ford factory Ranger hard tonneau (reputedly a lesser BakFlip).

So far so good, will report back with leakage info after the next heavy rain. I suspect that some water will enter through the gaps on the sides of the bed door, but that's a Ranger problem not a BakFlip issue.

1st observation: Interior sound levels are reduced, there’s much less road and exhaust noise leaking in from the rear.

With this system in place, would it be possible to install a Thule rack system that rests/secures on the bed rails?

ExChief45

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chrysler Concorde
Occupation
Gas System Operations - Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

I have this one on my RV and may use it on my Ranger

https://www.campingworld.com/swagma...322170.html#q=bike+racks&lang=default&start=4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Magnetic, 2015 BMW 435i GCM
With this system in place, would it be possible to install a Thule rack system that rests/secures on the bed rails?
I don't think so, you'd need a rack that bolts directly to the rails, clamps would not work and I don't see a Thule rack that doesn't use clamps.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So I've done a lot of research into tonneau covers & racks. There's not much out there that works - a few ladder rack things go through stake pockets that could potentially be used. But the main thing seems to be to get a cover that's compatible with putting some sort of T slot rail on the bedrails. And then you're looking at the Thule TracRac XR system, or the Yakima Overhaul/Outpost w/ tonneau cover conversion or something similar. I'm pretty sure the bedrock doesn't work with the slot system, which is a bit sad to me.

With all of that said, and sticking to Thule since you specifically asked about it... it looks like there's enough space to mount this on the side of the bed rail: https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof...and-accessories/thule-top-tracks-60-_-6432999

From there, you can get the foot pack for the T slot: https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof...essories/thule-rapid-podium-foot-pack-_-30404

And the crossbars of your choice.

Sadly, there's a big issue with doing a setup like that with that tonneau cover... You can't open the tonneau cover. Since it flips up, but you have crossbars over it, you have to slide the crossbars off the truck in order to open the tonneau cover. You might be able to get a soft rolling cover and squeeze it through the clearance, depending on how much height there ends up being between the cover and the crossbar, but it's going to be difficult. So you'd be left with either doing a tall over cab style rack, and/or a canister style retracting tonneau cover.
Sponsored