Bike Rack & Tonneau Covers

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
So I've done a lot of research into tonneau covers & racks. There's not much out there that works - a few ladder rack things go through stake pockets that could potentially be used. But the main thing seems to be to get a cover that's compatible with putting some sort of T slot rail on the bedrails. And then you're looking at the Thule TracRac XR system, or the Yakima Overhaul/Outpost w/ tonneau cover conversion or something similar. I'm pretty sure the bedrock doesn't work with the slot system, which is a bit sad to me.

With all of that said, and sticking to Thule since you specifically asked about it... it looks like there's enough space to mount this on the side of the bed rail: https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof...and-accessories/thule-top-tracks-60-_-6432999

From there, you can get the foot pack for the T slot: https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof...essories/thule-rapid-podium-foot-pack-_-30404

And the crossbars of your choice.

Sadly, there's a big issue with doing a setup like that with that tonneau cover... You can't open the tonneau cover. Since it flips up, but you have crossbars over it, you have to slide the crossbars off the truck in order to open the tonneau cover. You might be able to get a soft rolling cover and squeeze it through the clearance, depending on how much height there ends up being between the cover and the crossbar, but it's going to be difficult. So you'd be left with either doing a tall over cab style rack, and/or a canister style retracting tonneau cover.
@khyros Thank you very much for your research and comments on the subject, especially in reference to what Thule has available!

I suppose that I could consider purchasing a "retractable" tonneau cover, which would glide open and closed with no height constraints; however, with the racks this low, I'm constrained on how long the cargo may be; for example, a kayak, or some 10-ft. long 2x4s; the proposed setup would only be useful for bikes and tents. I'll check to see if Yakima has a similar system, with rack "feet" or supports that are at least a couple of feet tall.
Sponsored

OP
OP

LarryJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger, 1997 BMW Z3, 2010 VW Tiguan
@khyros Thank you very much for your research and comments on the subject, especially in reference to what Thule has available!

I suppose that I could consider purchasing a "retractable" tonneau cover, which would glide open and closed with no height constraints; however, with the racks this low, I'm constrained on how long the cargo may be; for example, a kayak, or some 10-ft. long 2x4s; the proposed setup would only be useful for bikes and tents. I'll check to see if Yakima has a similar system, with rack "feet" or supports that are at least a couple of feet tall.
Wow. Thanks for all your effort. I likewise have continued to look at combinations without any success as yet. I picked up our new truck yesterday. In discussing with the Ford Sales Manager he called a friend at Trucks Unlimited who said that he has seen some things in the works but that we are likely 3 to 4 months ahead of the game. Think we will try and be patient for a while. It is too cool a truck and in the right place in the market for some new appropriate accessories not to come out? In the meantime if we have to take the bikes we will use the Thule Gate pad and simply wait to select a cover that will have some rail possibilities. Thanks again. If I find info I will post.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Two thumbs up re: hitch-mount bike racks. Even better get one that swings out so you can open the bed door.

Just installed the BakFlip F1 part# BAK-772332 for 2019 Ranger Crewcab 5.1’ bed. It took a couple of hours and everything fit perfectly. The installation was straightforward, with the addition of an extra step to configure a supplied bulkhead filler assembly which is used to fill the gap between the top of the forward bed wall and the bottom of the tonneau/rail system. My Ranger had the factory spray-in liner, not the bed inserts (which require some drilling/modification).

This tonneau is rated for 400lbs and is better and cheaper than a Ford factory Ranger hard tonneau (reputedly a lesser BakFlip).

So far so good, will report back with leakage info after the next heavy rain. I suspect that some water will enter through the gaps on the sides of the bed door, but that's a Ranger problem not a BakFlip issue.

If you hurry its on sale direct from Bak Industries for 10% off - $927

1st observation: Interior sound levels are reduced, there’s much less road and exhaust noise leaking in from the rear.

36C5D774-97BC-42B8-8DBF-649BF476DB7F.jpeg
I am planning to get one of these covers when my Ranger comes. Will have 6-foot bed.

OP
OP

LarryJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually really like my tailgate pad:

It does block the rear camera though :frown:
Yes I like them too. I used a Thule on our 2004 Ranger after I first saw them in Colorado. Really simple. I think that will be my solution in the short run. I may experiment with trimming and bonding the cover to see if I can get a camera view. Long term however if I stick with this then I can’t have a cover of any kind be very effective. I really don’t want a canister version as the bed is already very short.

Klaud7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Is there a tailgate pad which does not cover the camera?

OP
OP

LarryJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That seems to be a tailgate pad solution. Do the bikes stay put on the narrow pad, especially if two in the bed. I know they stay put well on the Thule pad. Thx. Larry

Manny

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
That seems to be a tailgate pad solution. Do the bikes stay put on the narrow pad, especially if two in the bed. I know they stay put well on the Thule pad. Thx. Larry
They work great, I've used then on 4 hour drives and no problems, they are fast to install and remove. also great to travel with, you land, rent a pick up and you throw these on and go.
Sponsored