First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Well the video is pretty conclusive that the factory prep does not provide as good adhesion as the Line-X or Bullet Liner prep does. Whether it is good enough to prevent lifting only the test of time will tell.

The biggest disadvantage in my mind of the factory applied liner is the warranty. Where Line-X and Bullet give you lifetime warranties verse the 3/36 bumper to bumper from Ford.

The biggest advantage of the factory liner is it is $75 to $125 cheaper based on the quotes I got.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've heard a lot of good things about the Bullet liner and that's the one I'll likely go for.

The only reason I haven't yet is because the dealer for any spray-in liner is an hour plus away from me.

Right now I still have the Ford drop-in.

I figure another year or so and the bed will be nice and scuffed up under it so it'll be ready for the spray-in. ?

Actually, I recently hauled a transfer case in the bed of my truck and the guy that loaded it sat it in there upside down so ATF leaked out. I set it upright but not before a quart or so dumped.

By the tie I got home the ATF was everywhere in the bed and the wind had moved it to the end of the bed and up under the liner so I pulled the liner out to clean it.

To my surprise, the bed looked pristine. I expected at least a few wear marks from the liner rubbing.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've heard a lot of good things about the Bullet liner and that's the one I'll likely go for.

The only reason I haven't yet is because the dealer for any spray-in liner is an hour plus away from me.

Right now I still have the Ford drop-in.

I figure another year or so and the bed will be nice and scuffed up under it so it'll be ready for the spray-in. ?

Actually, I recently hauled a transfer case in the bed of my truck and the guy that loaded it sat it in there upside down so ATF leaked out. I set it upright but not before a quart or so dumped.

By the tie I got home the ATF was everywhere in the bed and the wind had moved it to the end of the bed and up under the liner so I pulled the liner out to clean it.

To my surprise, the bed looked pristine. I expected at least a few wear marks from the liner rubbing.
When I first read this (I just woke up) I thought you meant the guy was in the bed sitting upside down. lol ?

I always bought the same F150 every 3 years for business so I'd pull the liners out and reuse them and they were always perfect underneath. I had a large drop in tool box that sat against the bulkhead and usually had it loaded with equipment. So I'm surprised to hear some remover theirs and they're scratched up.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
The truck previous to my 01 Dakota had the factory drop in bed liner. I never had an occasion to want to remove it until about 6 years of ownership I got tagged from behind. The body shop asked if I could remove it and keep it at my house. They didn't have room to keep it inside and we're afraid if they stored it outside it would get stolen.

Anyway, I agreed and when I removed it I was shocked. Every where the liner contacted the bed the paint was worn down to bare metal, it was shiney with no rust, presumably the motion of the liner prevented the rust from forming. But, every nook and cranny where the liner didn't contact the bed was packed with dirt and crud. I also had several holes rotted through the bed.

I would recommend that if you are going to stay with the drop in liner take it out a couple times a year and clean the bed and treat any rust with a convertor.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The truck previous to my 01 Dakota had the factory drop in bed liner. I never had an occasion to want to remove it until about 6 years of ownership I got tagged from behind. The body shop asked if I could remove it and keep it at my house. They didn't have room to keep it inside and we're afraid if they stored it outside it would get stolen.

Anyway, I agreed and when I removed it I was shocked. Every where the liner contacted the bed the paint was worn down to bare metal, it was shiney with no rust, presumably the motion of the liner prevented the rust from forming. But, every nook and cranny where the liner didn't contact the bed was packed with dirt and crud. I also had several holes rotted through the bed.

I would recommend that if you are going to stay with the drop in liner take it out a couple times a year and clean the bed and treat any rust with a convertor.
This wear is what I was expecting as mine has been in there for almost 2 years.

But nothing, zilch, nada.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin

Same here. I had a drop in liner in a toyota truck, and took it out a few times to clean out dirt and crud that dropped down into the various cut-outs for tie downs. The paint was beat to hell, but I didn't have any holes rusted through, just bare metal in some places. I wouldn't recommend drop in liners if they can be avoided.

SteveRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Carbo Gray Crewcab
Occupation
Laborer Extraordinaire
I’m getting the factory Berliner for convenience, I highly doubt my camping equipment and mountain bike gear will wear it out anytime soon.

the Line-x in my work truck takes quite a beating and it hold up well.

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
I’m getting the factory Berliner for convenience, I highly doubt my camping equipment and mountain bike gear will wear it out anytime soon.

the Line-x in my work truck takes quite a beating and it hold up well.
I'm sure factory liner will be fine, we just happened to go with a dealer who did bedliners. Also, glad my order wasn't slowed by bedliner line at Ford.

SteveRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Carbo Gray Crewcab
Occupation
Laborer Extraordinaire
I'm sure factory liner will be fine, we just happened to go with a dealer who did bedliners. Also, glad my order wasn't slowed by bedliner line at Ford.
I just told my dealer the other day that if my Ranger gets delayed because of the Bed liner then cancel the liner,. the waiting is killing me lol

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
No complaints about my factory liner. Hauled bikes and firewood without problems.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
Years ago, there was a poly drop-in style bed liner manufacturer called "Tuff Liner". The mold's floor ridges design conformed more to that of the wider ridges of the pick up truck floor allowing the liner set truer with not as much shifting. Unfortunately the company was bought up by one of the big name liner manufacturer's and puff, sadly that design was gone.

BrassSlinger

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Tremor Lariat,2017 Honda Civic
Occupation
Technician
Factory sprayed liners are generally very well adhered to the paint . The paint is still fresh and the liner material bites into it better than some poorly scuffed beds . I've seen companies spray liners over beds simply scuffed with a scotch-brite pad which is fairly useless . After the factory paint is fully cured , proper prep and sanding is key to good adhesion . either method works and the fact the factory doesn't scuff is not a problem .
Not the ones i have seen,factory liners from Ford are crap.Thin,overpriced and not prepped at all.