First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Got a Bullet Liner sprayed in my Ranger today, dealership covered part and the other part was paid out of my Ford Rewards points. It looks great, hoping it holds up well!

PXL_20211202_212404237.jpg
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Got the same applied a week after I brought the Ranger home. They did an excellent job of taping/covering/scuffing the paint, everything...perfect application. Very happy so far.
Guy at Bullet Liner told me the factory spray, done at the factory, is sprayed right over the bed paint without any scuffing of the paint. He has had a # of factory applied liners come in where the liner material was starting to peel. Told me the best type of spray is when the entire bed is scuffed just before the spray.
Don't know if true or not about the factory stuff...just his word.

Last edited:
OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
Got the same applied a week after I brought the Ranger home. They did an excellent job of taping/covering/scuffing the paint, everything...perfect application. Very happy so far.
Guy at Bullet Liner told me the factory spray, done at the factory, is sprayed right over the bed paint without any scuffing of the paint. He has had a # of factory applied liners come in where the liner material was starting to peel. Told me the best type of spray is when the entire bed is scuffed just before the spray.
Don't know if true or not about the factory stuff...just his word.
Oh yeah, 99% of good paint is prep. I think it's odd they don't scuff the beds or do anything more considering the Ford liner is more expensive than most aftermarket solutions.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Again, no way to verify, he was just passing along info, and it only applied to the liners sprayed right at the factory, NOT the one's farmed out by dealers to places like Bullet.
Bullet job was far and away better than some of the stuff I had done years ago on other trucks, by the "other" company.
Owner of the Bullet name was one of the starters of Line X, but left some time ago to start Bullet, using different materials/process.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have a Bullet Liner in in my Ranger. It has only been a few months and 4500 miles so it is to soon to make any assessments on its durability but it does have a higher gloss than the Line-X liner in my previous truck. The Line-X liner was in my Dakota for 20 years and it stood the test of time. I would have gone Line-X again but the local place is gone and the nearest location is almost an hour away which would have required me to hang around while they did it.

I had no reservations with Bullet Liner because it was developed by the same guy that started Line-X. There was a dealer a few minutes from my house that made it convenient to drop off and pick up. Plus it was $50 cheaper than the Line-X dealer, but I would have paid $50 more because of the convenience.

The dealer that applied mine did a great job. He said (but I did not see) that he scuffed the bed paint then wiped down with solvent. The masking was perfect, he removed the tie downs, he also removed all the screws on the tail gate access panel and plugged all the threaded holes before applying the material.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Again, no way to verify, he was just passing along info, and it only applied to the liners sprayed right at the factory, NOT the one's farmed out by dealers to places like Bullet.
Factory sprayed liners are generally very well adhered to the paint . The paint is still fresh and the liner material bites into it better than some poorly scuffed beds . I've seen companies spray liners over beds simply scuffed with a scotch-brite pad which is fairly useless . After the factory paint is fully cured , proper prep and sanding is key to good adhesion . either method works and the fact the factory doesn't scuff is not a problem .

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
Factory sprayed liners are generally very well adhered to the paint . The paint is still fresh and the liner material bites into it better than some poorly scuffed beds . I've seen companies spray liners over beds simply scuffed with a scotch-brite pad which is fairly useless . After the factory paint is fully cured , proper prep and sanding is key to good adhesion . either method works and the fact the factory doesn't scuff is not a problem .
Don't know, I was surprised by this video:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, so much for the factory spray "biting" into unscuffed/unsanded bed paint !!!

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

So glad I went with the the Line-X after they scuffed it up!
I remember the first time I had it done in 2004. I had to stop by the Linux dealer for something and they showed me the bed completely white. They scuffed that thing up so good.
Glad you posted the video. Makes me feel so much better about my choice and not getting it done from the factory!

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
So the Ford one sticks just fine unless you go at it with a hammer and chisel? ??‍♂ Asking for a friend.

It’s good to have options though.

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
So the Ford one sticks just fine unless you go at it with a hammer and chisel? ??‍♂ Asking for a friend.

I think it's more likely that you get a pallet caught on the edge coming in or going out it could easily peel the whole thing off in one go.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

If you watch the vid, the factory liner came out just using pliers to grab and hold it...came out in large sheets/pieces. Bed had not been prepped, liner just sprayed over smooth paint. The liner they had to use a chisel on was a properly applied Line X that was a year old. Bed had been properly scuffed/sanded and the liner adhered so well it had to be chiseled off.

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
I saw that video above last year and knew to avoid Ford's bed liner.

I got the Bullet Liner treatment, as well. I got my windows tinted at the same time. Well worth the trip to the other side of the city.

I barely drive my Ranger and it's treated with kid gloves, but I'm sure the bed liner will be more than enough to handle anything I'll do to it.

I have the factory rubber bed mat in mine, as well. Ford sells two versions, one is rubber coated foam and the other is a thick rubber. The thick rubber mat is way better, of course.

IMG_20201016_094152672.jpg

IMG_20201016_115530273_HDR.jpg

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase

LOL , you can find anything on the internet . It would seem factory bedliners are flying off everywhere . Influencers really know how to draw their audience in .

We sprayed Line/X at my shop for 20 years but I'd order factory with no hesitation . Now if I find a couple guys in my truck bed with pliers I have other issues than with the bedliner :)
Sponsored