Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
If the latest software had taken hold, your trans should be skipping, most of the time,
2nd gear, and most likely, 4th too.

My trans is shifting, mostly, from 1st-3rd-5th, and this same action has been reported by other members here, in some of the threads.

Is it possible your trans has a earlier build date/maybe needs this update?? at the very least, if no codes present, I would ask for a KAM/adaptive memory reset, make it relearn.
This is also *highly* dependent on load conditions (accelerator position, incline, resistance, etc), it won't exclusive go 1-3-5. Typically it will skip second on a "normal" acceleration, but if you don't increase a bit it will go from 3-4-5 instead of skipping 4. Having been a bit more spirited lately, I've gotten to going 1-2-4-6 instead, but it's easy to manipulate with proper throttle response.
Thanks for the pointer on the gear selection, John. I've been too lazy to look into it on the XLT and had never used sport mode manual gear shifting. So far the pattern has been 1-3-4 at low speed.

I will, thanks!
That seems accurate, 1-3-4-5 is common for low speed and low acceleration.
Sponsored

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
This is also *highly* dependent on load conditions (accelerator position, incline, resistance, etc), it won't exclusive go 1-3-5. Typically it will skip second on a "normal" acceleration, but if you don't increase a bit it will go from 3-4-5 instead of skipping 4. Having been a bit more spirited lately, I've gotten to going 1-2-4-6 instead, but it's easy to manipulate with proper throttle response.

That seems accurate, 1-3-4-5 is common for low speed and low acceleration.
In the event I wasn't clear, shift behavior has been mostly excellent in the truck. There are few exceptions, most all just after startup. The one that really jumped out at me was the no shift flare last Thursday. Which happened once and set no codes, at least not according to my MX+ w/OBDLink for Android.

As for the shudder, it's much more consistent but minor enough to mostly ignore. Partly because of the dreaded "normal behavior" diagnosis that almost certainly will be declared by dealer service. But I now feel the need to not assume it and let them declare it.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
In the event I wasn't clear, shift behavior has been mostly excellent in the truck. There are few exceptions, most all just after startup. The one that really jumped out at me was the no shift flare last Thursday. Which happened once and set no codes, at least not according to my MX+ w/OBDLink for Android.

As for the shudder, it's much more consistent but minor enough to mostly ignore. Partly because of the dreaded "normal behavior" diagnosis that almost certainly will be declared by dealer service. But I now feel the need to not assume it and let them declare it.
Yeah, I understand. I have it relatively consistently when I leave work on a "cold" transmission, it often will go from 1-3 and then just forget how to shift into 4 and act like it lost a gear before finding in and then continuing to act as if nothing happened and it won't happen again either. It's very very weird. I've not noticed a shudder, only when I'm crawling *very* slowly while on the brakes, at a super slow speed the torque convertor doesn't appear to like the slow fluid speed and it kind of oscillates a bit.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
Yeah, I understand. I have it relatively consistently when I leave work on a "cold" transmission, it often will go from 1-3 and then just forget how to shift into 4 and act like it lost a gear before finding in and then continuing to act as if nothing happened and it won't happen again either. It's very very weird. I've not noticed a shudder, only when I'm crawling *very* slowly while on the brakes, at a super slow speed the torque convertor doesn't appear to like the slow fluid speed and it kind of oscillates a bit.
Yep, that first awkward shift pattern sure sounds common. I think some call it a clunk? Haven't noticed your creeping thing. The shudder is definitely under modest acceleration from a stop. Now that I know where to find gear selection, I'll probably try to get a handle on more detail.

The way my strange pee brain works, this brings a couple thoughts full circle. At this age I try to minimize distractions and don't need to be staring at the dash. I prefer the Jay Farrar "both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel" rule. It's also why my oil level problem is most annoying since I really want to hit the road and go visit family out west soon.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, that first awkward shift pattern sure sounds common. I think some call it a clunk? Haven't noticed your creeping thing. The shudder is definitely under modest acceleration from a stop. Now that I know where to find gear selection, I'll probably try to get a handle on more detail.

The way my strange pee brain works, this brings a couple thoughts full circle. At this age I try to minimize distractions and don't need to be staring at the dash. I prefer the Jay Farrar "both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel" rule. It's also why my oil level problem is most annoying since I really want to hit the road and go visit family out west soon.
Yeah maybe. If it was more consistent I'd try to have it looked at, but as it sits it'll be considered a "no verify" and I don't want to deal with that again. I don't have any shudder like you describe though.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the pointer on the gear selection, John. I've been too lazy to look into it on the XLT and had never used sport mode manual gear shifting. So far the pattern has been 1-3-4 at low speed.
I haven't used the "Sport" option even once!!! Engine/trans is already "fast" enough!!!! My 04 Ranger, had a limiter, at like, 94mph, would start cancelling/rev limiting the engine--Haven't found one on this truck , yet!

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is also *highly* dependent on load conditions (accelerator position, incline, resistance, etc), it won't exclusive go 1-3-5. .
Yes, it will, if you use PRS system. Is anyone else using this part of the system?? I believe this will not only provide a better driving experience, but improve fuel mileage!!

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it will, if you use PRS system. Is anyone else using this part of the system?? I believe this will not only provide a better driving experience, but improve fuel mileage!!
I'm not sure your comment makes sense. If by PRS you mean manual-shifting, it will definitely not go 1-3-5, without sport mode you're only selecting the max gear the transmission can be in, and even then the transmission will work out its own calculations in performing in the prescribed range.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure your comment makes sense. If by PRS you mean manual-shifting, it will definitely not go 1-3-5, without sport mode you're only selecting the max gear the transmission can be in, and even then the transmission will work out its own calculations in performing in the prescribed range.
Do not mean "manual shift." For short drives, I put the trans shifter in "D", use the left side button, to -, use it again, repeatedly to "lock out" 10 thru 7, and then the trans used 4th gear--Feature resets upon "key cycle/shutdown"--To clarify, it generally only "skips" 4th, when this feature is not used--Haven't used "sport" mode at all.
I found better fuel mileage, using the PRS feature, for short/in area trips.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Do not mean "manual shift." For short drives, I put the trans shifter in "D", use the left side button, to -, use it again, repeatedly to "lock out" 10 thru 7, and then the trans used 4th gear--Feature resets upon "key cycle/shutdown"--To clarify, it generally only "skips" 4th, when this feature is not used--Haven't used "sport" mode at all.
I found better fuel mileage, using the PRS feature, for short/in area trips.
Yes, that's exactly what I"m talking about. That is manual shifting in that it's a lock-out when in D or actual shifting in S. Without being in Sport mode, these selections won't force the transmission into a higher gear until the computer deems it necessary and it's no longer locked out.

But like I said, it very much depends on your driving style. I can go a long time without every seeing 4th, but I can go a long time without ever seeing 3rd as well, it's primarily in how you're driving and other load conditions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 773

I'm due for 1st oil change and tsb /recall. Did you notice any fuel economy change after the tranny work?
I’d say maybe a .5 mpg increase, I think it hold gears longer on a hill vs downshifting.
Sponsored