First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Autozone, but I wouldn’t expect any responsibility on their part. It is a Ford branded product and they should have some quality control responsibility. We’ll see. I’m more concerned about a turbo failure as a result later on and coverage opposite my warranty.
Bad luck of the draw and getting a defective filter. There is no guarantee that the brand you choose next won't be defective.
Just because something is branded Ford, doesn't mean it was made by Ford. They don't make oil filters, air filters, brakes, tires or any other number of other 100's of parts. Motorcraft or Ford branded products are made by Purolator. So, it's Purolator that needs to step up their QC. Even Mobil 1 filters are made by one of the conglomerates, in this case Champion Laboratories.
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, I have purchased 5 new Fords since 2011. The factory supplied oil filter was not supplied by Purolator on any of them. They looked like a Champion Labs filter. They also were not marked as Motorcraft, just had a Ford part number on them.

Interesting tidbit: The FL910S spec filter was first used in 1982 on the Mopar 2.2 4 cyl engine. It is widely spec'd on all kinds of motorized equipment, not just cars or trucks.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
OP
OP
BaldHog1951

BaldHog1951

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Highlander, 2022 Ford Ranger Supercab,
Occupation
Retired
Bad luck of the draw and getting a defective filter. There is no guarantee that the brand you choose next won't be defective.
Just because something is branded Ford, doesn't mean it was made by Ford. They don't make oil filters, air filters, brakes, tires or any other number of other 100's of parts. Motorcraft or Ford branded products are made by Purolator. So, it's Purolator that needs to step up their QC. Even Mobil 1 filters are made by one of the conglomerates, in this case Champion Laboratories.
Yeah, I understand no matter what the quality control measures are, some bad ones slip through. I also understand Ford doesn’t make a lot of the Ford branded products. Also since I have cooled off a bit, the responsibility is ultimately mine for installing it, especially since there was some indication that there was a potential issue. All said, I still won’t be using the FL-910S in the future and I will be more thoroughly inspecting the ones I do install. I further will adapt the philosophy of having a spare filter around just in case I see a problem.

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
THIS

Yea, WIX fan boy. But at least I wear it proudly.
Been using Wix filters since forever...on all my vehicles.
Far as the ranger goes if I don't use a legit Motorcraft 910S, then my back up is a WIX 51348. Doesn't have to be a XP either
Sponsored