Bad plugs

• Thread starter Deleted member 773
  • Start date
  • Watchers 7

Deleted member 773

My truck had an occasional shutter when cold started, ended up taking it in when the passenger USB port stopped working, along with the brake light recall and clunky shifts.

They figured out it was a bad plug causing a misfire, after moving the plugs around and cold starting again the misfire moved to a different cylinder. All plugs were replaced and the issue went away.

I had them update the transmission too, it was clunky when cold in 2-4th. Now it shifts differently, most often 1-3-5 etc, which is how most people here report it doing, instead of every gear like it used to, regardless of acceleration, and is very smooth now.

USB port was also replaced, it failed for some reason.
Sponsored

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
No MIL/Check Engine lite on, for the misfire?? You've found yourself a great service dept :clap: They spent the time to diagnose a intermittent issue!! I had a new 3 valve 5.4, in a F150, that only misfired on "cold" start ups, and lasted for about 30 seconds--did turn on the MIL, code set for misfire-first 100 revolutions. Was a tough one because of the short duration of the issue--ran fine after 30 seconds, and did not occur on restarts.
Ended up being a Exhaust rocker kicked off the overhead camshaft!

Reactions: Doc

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
My truck had an occasional shutter when cold started, ended up taking it in when the passenger USB port stopped working, along with the brake light recall and clunky shifts.

They figured out it was a bad plug causing a misfire, after moving the plugs around and cold starting again the misfire moved to a different cylinder. All plugs were replaced and the issue went away.

I had them update the transmission too, it was clunky when cold in 2-4th. Now it shifts differently, most often 1-3-5 etc, which is how most people here report it doing, instead of every gear like it used to, regardless of acceleration, and is very smooth now.

I wish I had your Ford dealer. Having a technician who cares is a good find.

OP
OP

Deleted member 773

No MIL/Check Engine lite on, for the misfire?? You've found yourself a great service dept :clap: They spent the time to diagnose a intermittent issue!! I had a new 3 valve 5.4, in a F150, that only misfired on "cold" start ups, and lasted for about 30 seconds--did turn on the MIL, code set for misfire-first 100 revolutions. Was a tough one because of the short duration of the issue--ran fine after 30 seconds, and did not occur on restarts.
Ended up being a Exhaust rocker kicked off the overhead camshaft!
Nope nothing at all.. I didnā€™t realize how hard it is to find a good dealer for service!

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Having been on the "receiving" end of the deal for many years, I can really appreciate what the Service Depts go thru. Awhile back, my Ranger had a "intermittent no start event" , and my place did a great job, repairing the issue.:like: When picking up the truck, I brought my Writer, and Tech, packages of Alaska Smoke salmon, as appreciation, for a job well done!!!

My mom always taught me "You catch more fly's with honey, than vinegar." :wink:

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
Having been on the "receiving" end of the deal for many years, I can really appreciate what the Service Depts go thru. Awhile back, my Ranger had a "intermittent no start event" , and my place did a great job, repairing the issue.:like: When picking up the truck, I brought my Writer, and Tech, packages of Alaska Smoke salmon, as appreciation, for a job well done!!!

My mom always taught me "You catch more fly's with honey, than vinegar." :wink:
Can't agree more, in part. Problem is that advisors and techs can become so jaded that they don't notice when someone is being civil. I'm too much of a SPST switch, having trouble finding the middle ground of being nice while still firm. So the times I took the wife's DPS6-based Focus in for a shudder check, I just said "OK" when told that it didn't meet the mandated 250 RPM flare. Even though a simple drive on a warm day at operating temps would prove otherwise. Dumbass.

Unfortunately this truck is gonna give me another opportunity to practice. I've been living with the mild shudder on takeoff, which I noticed on the test drive. But since I get to take it in for making oil, I'm gonna add that to the list. And speaking of flaring, for the first time, instead of the usual clunk shift on cold departure, I experienced a no shift until about 3k rpm last night. That didn't help my pissiness one bit. May be time to start a festivus grievances list at this rate.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Can't agree more, in part. Problem is that advisors and techs can become so jaded that they don't notice when someone is being civil. I'm too much of a SPST switch, having trouble finding the middle ground of being nice while still firm. So the times I took the wife's DPS6-based Focus in for a shudder check, I just said "OK" when told that it didn't meet the mandated 250 RPM flare. Even though a simple drive on a warm day at operating temps would prove otherwise. Dumbass.

John--:oops:that's disppointing to hear, since I know all to well, the issues the Focus had, involving the Trans/Clutch/Shuttering !!!)

Unfortunately this truck is gonna give me another opportunity to practice. I've been living with the mild shudder on takeoff, which I noticed on the test drive. But since I get to take it in for making oil, I'm gonna add that to the list. And speaking of flaring, for the first time, instead of the usual clunk shift on cold departure, I experienced a no shift until about 3k rpm last night. That didn't help my pissiness one bit. May be time to start a festivus grievances list at this rate.
Acted up that badly, and "no Ck Eng/MIL" lamp on??? Whats your "build date", and how many miles do you have on your Ranger???

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Thanks for posting this... much appreciated.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
that's disppointing to hear, since I know all to well, the issues the Focus had, involving the Trans/Clutch/Shuttering !!!)
Not gonna hurt us financially like it has many of the people that still own one and are upside down. Ford earned every stinking penny the class action settlement is gonna cost them.

Acted up that badly, and "no Ck Eng/MIL" lamp on??? Whats your "build date", and how many miles do you have on your Ranger???
No, though I should check to make sure there are no DTC's set now. I fully expect 'no problem found' or 'normal behavior' responses, especially with a mild shudder. Only time will tell if the delayed 1-2 shift will get worse. Didn't repeat today. September build with 2,600 miles, so all firmware/strategies should be current. At least I'm only aware of the early update for rough shifting complaints.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No, though I should check to make sure there are no DTC's set now. I fully expect 'no problem found' or 'normal behavior' responses, especially with a mild shudder. Only time will tell if the delayed 1-2 shift will get worse. Didn't repeat today. September build with 2,600 miles, so all firmware/strategies should be current. At least I'm only aware of the early update for rough shifting complaints.
If the latest software had taken hold, your trans should be skipping, most of the time,
2nd gear, and most likely, 4th too. You can observer this buy pressing the left button on the shifter, reward, and it will bring up the current gear the transmission is in, on the center dash display, between the tach, an speedo--If your not seeing this happen, esp on light throttle/mild accel, your software may have incorrectly loaded to the computer--I've had stranger things happen to me, on uploads, when I was with Ford!!!

My trans is shifting, mostly, from 1st-3rd-5th, and this same action has been reported by other members here, in some of the threads.

Is it possible your trans has a earlier build date/maybe needs this update?? at the very least, if no codes present, I would ask for a KAM/adaptive memory reset, make it relearn.

Last edited:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Lucky for me, the Service manager at my dealership is the sister of the then office manager at the Lincoln-Mercury/Honda agency I worked at years ago. She used to have a "few" with the boys on Friday nights at the shop back in the day, of course that kinda activities is now long gone.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BOB--Check out the post below--it's post # 143 !!!!

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ough-rough-shifting-transmission.2135/page-10

Was having these tranny issues with my 2019 Ranger that I have only had a few months. My manufacturers date was August of 2019 so it was supposably not eligible for the TSB. I took it to my dealer and they couldnā€™t recreate the issue. I told them it had to be on a cold start so they kept it overnight to check it first thing in the morning. They called me and said they were doing an update for me on my truck. I asked if they experienced the issue and the reply was an emphatic ā€˜Oh Yeah, for sureā€™. They told me that Ford wasnā€™t going to pay for it, But that they would take care of it for me. Seems ridiculous to me that even if the TSB is not for trucks that are past 2/11/2019, if the truck is having the same exact issues, they should open it up for later manufactured models as well. I am pleased to say that The update they did, which I am assuming was this TSB, made all the difference in the world. Itā€™s like a new truck again with no apparent tranny hiccups.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase

I'm due for 1st oil change and tsb /recall. Did you notice any fuel economy change after the tranny work?

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
If the latest software had taken hold, your trans should be skipping, most of the time,
2nd gear, and most likely, 4th too. You can observer this buy pressing the left button on the shifter, reward, and it will bring up the current gear the transmission is in, on the center dash display, between the tach, an speedo--If your not seeing this happen, esp on light throttle/mild accel, your software may have incorrectly loaded to the computer--I've had stranger things happen to me, on uploads, when I was with Ford!!!

My trans is shifting, mostly, from 1st-3rd-5th, and this same action has been reported by other members here, in some of the threads.

Is it possible your trans has a earlier build date/maybe needs this update?? at the very least, if no codes present, I would ask for a KAM/adaptive memory reset, make it relearn.
Thanks for the pointer on the gear selection, John. I've been too lazy to look into it on the XLT and had never used sport mode manual gear shifting. So far the pattern has been 1-3-4 at low speed.
I will, thanks!
Sponsored