Steve in CO

Steve in CO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
I'm honestly surprised the gorilla method was the go to method to fix this.

did they even consider adjusting door hinges at any point?

when doors are built with presses, robots and jigs, there's little likelihood that a few come off the line all tweaked out like some crack addict downtown.
the most common denominator for error is the union employee collecting a paycheck and his Built with Pride T-shirt, not taking the time to adjust the door properly at assembly.
The first thing they looked to do was adjust the hinges, but the door is flush everywhere except where that bow in the frame was. I was fine with the fix as the option they were going to go with was a door replacement, so the gorilla option was a last resort let's see if this works option.
Sponsored

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm honestly surprised the gorilla method was the go to method to fix this.

did they even consider adjusting door hinges at any point?

when doors are built with presses, robots and jigs, there's little likelihood that a few come off the line all tweaked out like some crack addict downtown.
the most common denominator for error is the union employee collecting a paycheck and his Built with Pride T-shirt, not taking the time to adjust the door properly at assembly.
What the body shop did is common practice. The door was probably flush and aligned on the bottom and just the window frame was out of alignment and needed tweaking. We used to do it all the time. The important thing is to fix worked as it always seems to.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
So took it to the dealer today, they tried pulling on the window frame a bit and sent me on my way to their preferred body shop and told me if the body shop couldn't fix it they would have to get a replacement door. Took it to the body shop, two guys looked at it and didn't think they could get it straight, brought in a third guy and all three started torquing the absolute hell out of the frame and got it flush to the roofline. Said it was the best they could do, I said I would drive it home on the highway and call them if the fix didn't work so they could tell the dealership to order a replacement door. Got up to highway speed and that door was quieter than the passenger side. Glad I don't have to wait on a new door.
That's good news to hear, I pretty much figured that's the way they were going to handle it. No sense. Throwing a lot of time adjusting when you know it's just the window frame that needs a little tweaking. Glad to hear everything worked out. ?

RangerRandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paint and Body
I work in a body shop. It's very common, and its amazing what can be done by "carefully" man handling body parts. We would have done the same thing before attempting to adjust the hinges.

Hey! Glad they got it fixed up for you!
Sponsored